UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

secret invasion pics

Glantern

The choice for the figures was reported in the AA Blog in August http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2008/08/the-...sion-minimates/ which was before Secret Invasion had finished & I assumed that the characters would feature prominently in the story line. The Beast was instrumental in defeating the X-powered Skrulls whilst Wolverine was very heavily involved albeit not in this guise . Jewel & Phoenix as a choice just baffles me.

Simple logic applied is that the 4 characters contained in the Secret Invasion box-set have sweet FA to do with being characters from the Secret Invasion Comic series . Once that is firmly established it gets easier :blink:

Edited by buttheadsmate

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The choice for the figures was reported in the AA Blog in August http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2008/08/the-...sion-minimates/ which was before Secret Invasion had finished & I assumed that the characters would feature prominently in the story line. The Beast was instrumental in defeating the X-powered Skrulls whilst Wolverine was very heavily involved albeit not in this guise . Jewel & Phoenix as a choice just baffles me.

Simple logic applied is that the 4 characters contained in the Secret Invasion box-set have sweet FA to do with being characters from the Secret Invasion Comic series . Once that is firmly established it gets easier :blink:

They WERE all on the skrull crashed ship...and all turned out to be skrull sleeper agents. in fact most of them got killed on page...

From another SI-related AA blog:

First off, let me address the question of “why.” Why did we include these particular characters? Why not the Super Duper Skrulls? To answer that, think waaay back to before this whole event unfolded. At that time, we had an inkling of what Marvel had in store for us and were even treated to a little behind-the-scenes info - but we still didn’t know how this whole Secret Invasion thing was going to play out. When we saw the advance preview art featuring heroes in their 70’s costume it was perfect. Not only were some of these costumes still missing from the Minimates line, but there were even some new characters we could finally get around to making! Here’s how we decided.

Right away we can drop Spider-Man, Power Man, Thor, Invisible Woman, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Captain America, Iron Man and Vision since we have already made Minimates of these costumes. Throw out Emma Frost too since her costume change is minimal. That left us with 2 new characters and 5 new costumes to pick from. Narrowing it down more was difficult, but we eliminated Ms Marvel and Wonder Man (can’t say why) and wound up having to decide between Mockingbird and Jewel. You can see who won, but we had no idea Mockingbird would wind up having so much panel time!

At least this would shed a little light on the Jewel issue. Now this has me hinging on the hope that Mockingbird will get released in a future wave though... :blink:

It still irks me that they chose this generic looking woman over Mockingbird, thanks for bringing that up again Raider :angry:

;)

My only issue, is do I display the beast with my Avengers or my X Men?

Impossible choice. You have to get 2 of them.

Edited by karamazov80

It still irks me that they chose this generic looking woman over Mockingbird, thanks for bringing that up again Raider :angry:

;)

My only issue, is do I display the beast with my Avengers or my X Men?

Impossible choice. You have to get 2 of them.

I know I know!! ugh :)

I currently have him displayed with my Avengers because to me he will always be an Avenger!

The funny thing about it. My Avengers segment of the display is PACKED...and i love it.

I can remember when the only 2 Avenger Minimates was the original Cap and Hulk...we have come a long way and I love it!!!

Blue furry Beast belongs with the other Avengers Mininates. Preferably next to the Wonder Man Minimate.

It is weird that, despite him being a founding member of the team, Beast wasn't a member of the X-Men for much of the stuff that I read as a kid, and I think that I do consider his furry incarnation as more Avenger than X-Man. But as a general character, I think of Beast as an X-Man first. So, until we get a relatively hair-less version, I'll pose him as an X-Man before doing so as an Avenger, next to some of the original members (though I will still get two at some point so that I can pose him with both).

Has anyone else been looking back at the protos and the concept art for these?? I've been doing jus tthat, and noticed lots of proposed paint apps missing, especially on Jeanie, which would have made them look so much better. For instance, there is a lack of Jeanie's back-line, the belt's shine, the arms' shine, as well as the back of the legs' shine. Kinda makes me mad, because these would have been nice apps to use. :(

And Mystery Man, just give me a few minutes and you'll have a pic. A clear, non-blurry one. ;)

EDIT: Here ya go. I kinda like it, but the mask doesn't fit on SI Logan's head, so i used the older one. Hope you don't mind:

post-2151-1233344979_thumb.jpg

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

To be fair, AA and DST had to build this set off of a few images, so they had no idea how influential any of these characters would be.

Wolverine had to go in because it's his first appearance costume and he's freaking Wolverine. He hadn't shown up in the past few waves of figures or various side projects, so he was over due for another version. On top of that, this costume would show up eventually, so better to burn it off in a box set than to take up a slot that could be occupied by Gambit, Deadpool, Psylocke, etc. Storywise, Wolverine is a member of the X-Men and the Avengers, so it seemed likely that the angle would be explored in the SI storyline.

Phoenix WAS one of our most requested for a while and was one of those figures that was bound to show up as a repaint a la Professor X in the Target wave. Still, she's been dead a while, which tends to lower a character's push to the front of the Minimate line. With AA finally learning how to add a decent gold color to the latest Minimate offerings, that probably sealed the deal on her slot. Storywise, Phoenix is probably one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel Universe. If she's back from the dead, then lots of major impact from that. If she's a Skrull, then she's obviously some doomsday weapon for their side.

Beast WAS also one of our most requested for a while, and slightly less likely to boot. First Appearance Beast is likely to happen in an X-Men box set on one of those "yellow paint was cheap this month, who should we make?" moments that happens from time to time. We have current Beast, more or less. So original furry Beast kind of falls in the cracks. Storywise, Cat-like Beast is a bit of a sore subject for some readers, so the potential for bringing back a more classic look for him could reignite some passion for the character.

Jewel is the Thunderbird of the set. DST has pretty much confirmed that this is one of those characters that can only make the Minimate transition in situations like this one. Storywise, Jessica Jones is associated with the Avengers, tied up in a suspect marriage with the main driving force opposing the Skrulls. Bringing her back as a hero from old would be monumental on so many scales and rock the heroes to the core.

Of course, none of those storywise assumptions panned out with the whole lot of them being taken down with little consequence. Still, from an uninformed perspective, they are four logical choices for the set. As for who was rejected from that fateful picture:

We had near perfect analogs for Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Thor, Invisible Woman, Scarlet Witch, Vision, and Emma Frost, so releasing a slightly updated version of any of them would be beating a dead horse at this point. Previous Q&As suggest that the Luke Cage/Power Man figure is tied up in an exclusive status for Wizard/ToyFare so there, with there being little enough change in appearance to warrant an overhall of the original design to skirt around that deal. Chuck's quote almost seems to suggest that there are future plans for Ms. Marvel and Wonder Man:

Narrowing it down more was difficult, but we eliminated Ms Marvel and Wonder Man (can’t say why)

Of course, if he said that in the context that he doesn't remember why, then who the heck knows.

Assuming that Chuck just dismissed Carol and Simon because he can't remember why, then that leaves three characters slighted in the forms of Mockingbird, Ms. Marvel, and Wonder Man. Of the three, only Wonder Man is really off the table for a while, since the Ms. Marvel costume is running around in Dark Avengers and Mockingbird is a New Avenger.

Chuck's quote almost seems to suggest that there are future plans for Ms. Marvel and Wonder Man:

Narrowing it down more was difficult, but we eliminated Ms Marvel and Wonder Man (can’t say why)

Of course, if he said that in the context that he doesn't remember why, then who the heck knows.

Assuming that Chuck just dismissed Carol and Simon because he can't remember why, then that leaves three characters slighted in the forms of Mockingbird, Ms. Marvel, and Wonder Man. Of the three, only Wonder Man is really off the table for a while, since the Ms. Marvel costume is running around in Dark Avengers and Mockingbird is a New Avenger.

I thought that Ms. Marvel and Wonder Man were eliminated from the 4th slot due to the whole Thunderbird stipulation. Since the first three slots are all accounted for AND are all new versions of previous releases, the 4th slot HAD to be the never-gonna-get-released-again character. (Ms. Marvel was released in wave 19, Wonder Man in wave 16)

That just leaves Jewel and Mockingbird. Judging from the AA blog posts, it seemed pretty obvious that SI number (whatever issue

Ronin talks to Skrull Mockingbird

in) hasn't been released when they settled on that final slot for the boxset, so they had no way of knowing Mockingbird would be such an important character in the storyline. So God Knows how they made that decision from there.

So, did anyone figure out who the "Thunderbird" from the First Appearance Avengers set is supposed to be? I'm not trying to nit-pick, but I am curious about how that rule really works. Previous to that set, recall that we got zombie versions of both Jan (in a manner of speaking) and Hank. Do alternate reality versions not count as the "same" character? Do alternate identities (Giant Man/Ant Man) not count? :confused:

So, did anyone figure out who the "Thunderbird" from the First Appearance Avengers set is supposed to be? I'm not trying to nit-pick, but I am curious about how that rule really works. Previous to that set, recall that we got zombie versions of both Jan (in a manner of speaking) and Hank. Do alternate reality versions not count as the "same" character? Do alternate identities (Giant Man/Ant Man) not count? :confused:

To reiterate the "argument" I made before in the Classic Avengers thread, I really think the "Thunderbird" for that set was Wasp since technically her "last release" wasn't a full Minimate (come on, she was a HEAD. No offense to zombie/Wasp fans but Zombie Wasp was practically a glorified accessory.)

As far as the "alternate universe version" argument surrounding Zombie Giant Man is concerned, the DOFP variant Wolverine is technically an alternate universe character, yet in Minimate canon(?!) it's still considered just another Wolverine variant.

Edited by NorthRaider

Obviously the "never again" rule is not concrete. Other box set offerings have landed on either side of the equation. Thunderbird, Nitro, and Jewel fall in the not likely to happen again category, whereas sets like the Classic Avengers, Darktide, and the Iron Man through the Ages sets fall on the other side.

Darktide, and the Iron Man through the Ages sets

Oh, yeah. . .those two sets negate the argument that the rule is always enforced. I guess the "rule" is just there to get us obscure characters every now and then, and that is fine with me.

I am struggling to get my point across ....obviously. We all have known which 4 characters would be featured for months & it matters not who the choices were & I quite like the choices made . My beef is why spoil 4 new minimates with reversible Skrull heads especially when none of them were Skrulls? Why not produce 4 new 'normal' 'Mates with normal heads ;add 4 Skrull heads & brand it as a Secret Invasion box-set? Production costs must be more expensive to produce these double-headers & who the hell is going to pose /display them with their Skrull faces? The double-headers can only be used correctly with the 4 new characters anyway & apparently they're not quite right. AA didn't know how SI might pan-out so I don't blame their choice at all , I just don't understand the point of the double-faces.

The double-headers can only be used correctly with the 4 new characters anyway & apparently they're not quite right.

How is this so? With Wolverine and Beast I guess it's understandable (with Wolverine's perpetual scowl and Beast's... beast-like appearance), but the Skrull Phoenix/Jewel faces are pretty much generic female faces that can be easily used on other Minimate characters (Scarlet Witch for instance)

Perhaps the double-header + extra heads thing was to produce "as many skrulls as possible" since Secret Invasion was, after all, a skrull-centered storyline. Of course, who would've known then about the skrull army builders in wave 27?

I am struggling to get my point across ....obviously. We all have known which 4 characters would be featured for months & it matters not who the choices were & I quite like the choices made . My beef is why spoil 4 new minimates with reversible Skrull heads especially when none of them were Skrulls? Why not produce 4 new 'normal' 'Mates with normal heads ;add 4 Skrull heads & brand it as a Secret Invasion box-set? Production costs must be more expensive to produce these double-headers & who the hell is going to pose /display them with their Skrull faces? The double-headers can only be used correctly with the 4 new characters anyway & apparently they're not quite right. AA didn't know how SI might pan-out so I don't blame their choice at all , I just don't understand the point of the double-faces.

All four of the characters were Skrulls, go read the comics.

The double-headers can only be used correctly with the 4 new characters anyway & apparently they're not quite right.

I use the term 'correctly' in the context that without faulting AA ,who were not to know, none of these characters were 'sleeper' Skrulls . If you want your SI set of 4 human heroes to be Skrulls then pop the whole bloody head off & put the spare Skrull heads on.....it isn't rocket science. If you want more Skrull heads then buy more sets. The 2 female characters' heads are just generic & could go on anything or more importantly .....where? That leaves the Beast & Wolverine .now at a push I can see ol' Logan being used on something else but WTF is the Beast head going to go ? Whose head are you going to pop on the Beast once you've decapitated him ? The Beast is blue & whilst we have one or two other blue characters there aren't that many.

The only thing that disappoints me about this set (other than the fact that I haven't got my set yet) is Phoenix's hair. I always associate Phoenix with long over-the top hair, whereas here she almost looks like she has short hair. But that is an easy fix, and mostly about personal preference.

Really! All four were Skrulls were they? ???

I take it you mean that they all had Skrull replacements. The Skrull's had a duplicate of just about everybody but very few played any significant part as sleepers.

Go read the comics.

I bet nobody noticed that the Skrull Phoenix(?) had suddenly been reincarnated :biggrin:

Edited by buttheadsmate

Really! All four were Skrulls were they? ???

I take it you mean that they all had Skrull replacements. The Skrull's had a duplicate of just about everybody but very few played any significant part as sleepers.

Go read the comics.

I bet nobody noticed that the Skrull Phoenix(?) had suddenly been reincarnated :biggrin:

si.jpg

look to the left.