UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Secret Santa '08

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm really struggling to find something good for my 'child'. I have one item but its not enough, and I'm getting worried that I won't be able to get something before Monday. My child has asked for some pretty rare items which seem to be near impossible to find, and I'm worrying now.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Ok, I'm really struggling to find something good for my 'child'. I have one item but its not enough, and I'm getting worried that I won't be able to get something before Monday. My child has asked for some pretty rare items which seem to be near impossible to find, and I'm worrying now.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Stuckakid. Toys good.

I got my Secret Santa gift yesterday! I thought about waiting until it was closer to Chirstmas to open it, but that thought passed in about three seconds.

My Secret Santa gave me a new set of paintbrushes (perfect for customs!), the 24 Season Two Minimate set (perfect for customs!), a bunch of Reece's Peanut Butter cups (perfect for eating while working on customs), a globe foam rubber stress ball (perfect for chucking at co-worker's heads), and a Mr. Fantastic Figure Factory figure (which rocks)! Thanks Santa!

As for the identity of my Secret Santa, I was able to lift a partial print of the packing tape used to seal the box, and after running it through several law enforcement databases, I was able to determine that it's a crime to sneak into a police station and try to use their equipment. But my Secret Santa is Cornflakes, because I recognize your return address from a trade we had a month or so ago. Thanks Cornflakes!

Maybe some local cultural items instead of more minimates? Quick customs are also good.

a bunch of Reece's Peanut Butter cups

These are perfect ideas in my opinion. I do love stuff from different countries and cultures and especially foreign candy bars! But of course, I already have my secret santa's gift, and it's still lying here untouched waiting for christmas. That's not because I'm not really interested in it, but because I'm "from Germany".

Edited by Bob Harris

Aren't there issues with shipping perishable items from one country to another, though?

Not is you stick them in a ziplock bag and don't tell anyone. XD Trust me, the cargo holds of planes are decompressed. It freezes at 30,000 feet. Especially at this time of year. It'll be fine.

Well, I didn't mean to ask was it possible, but rather, was it legal? :P

They always ask me the same question: "anything liquid, fragile, or perishable?" Assuming only the 2nd of those 3 is allowed.

Well, I didn't mean to ask was it possible, but rather, was it legal? :P

They always ask me the same question: "anything liquid, fragile, or perishable?" Assuming only the 2nd of those 3 is allowed.

I know from spending lots of time at the PO (my dad works as their computer tech guy) that the reason they ask that is to determine how the item ships.

1. Liquids -- like lotions, shower gels, etc -- can not go on planes anymore & must travel by truck (which takes a lil longer). Plus, they must be packed securely, so nothing bursts/leaks/whatever during shipping.

2. Fragile is self-explanatory.

3. Perishable means that depending on which country it's going to (as there are some you can not ship this type to) it must be shipped expedited or other "fast" method of delivery. (Since no one wants rotting or expired items in their truck or on a plane.)

Ok. I figured that liquids couldn't be shipped at all anymore, due to post-9/11 changes. Since almost all international shipments from the U.S. go by plane (excluding things going to Mexico and Canada, obviously), I guess you would have to do "sea mail" or something to ship that internationally.

Regarding perishable items, whenever you fly into the U.S., they often won't let you carry food in from other places (including seeds), but I can see the post office being indifferent as to what we ship OUT of here. "Let those other countries deal with it," I guess.

Edited by karamazov80

Ok. I figured that liquids couldn't be shipped at all anymore, due to post-9/11 changes. Since almost all international shipments from the U.S. go by plane (excluding things going to Mexico and Canada, obviously), I guess you would have to do "sea mail" or something to ship that internationally.

Regarding perishable items, whenever you fly into the U.S., they often won't let you carry food in from other places (including seeds), but I can see the post office being indifferent as to what we ship OUT of here. "Let those other countries deal with it," I guess.

I don't think they're indifferent really (but they may be, I really don't know). I know they do have a list of countries that you can not ship anything perishable, be it food or whatever, and they check your shipping country against it & check whatever it is that you're sending against their "banned" list (guns, some food things, cigarettes, etc). I think you can look at their website for the list.

I know (having done it myself with cookies & fudge) that Canada & England are not on the "banned" list. Or, if they are, I'm being bad. :lol:

The regional gift idea is pretty cool.

If my Santa was from say Japan, I would be Totally excited if they sent a bunch of those Capsule type toys.

So that could be a way to go if your from a different region than your "child".

If your in the same region, Your "child" obviously likes a theme from minimates since they are on this board, so maybe find some other type of figure or statuette or something for that theme (like Marvel, DC, 24, LOTR, Battlestar.....etc.)

Hope that helps a bit to those who are having some difficulties finding gifts!

As for the identity of my Secret Santa, I was able to lift a partial print of the packing tape used to seal the box, and after running it through several law enforcement databases, I was able to determine that it's a crime to sneak into a police station and try to use their equipment. But my Secret Santa is Cornflakes, because I recognize your return address from a trade we had a month or so ago. Thanks Cornflakes!

Wow, quite an amazing bit of detective work, but.....

BINGO, BONGO, YOU AREWRONGO

Wow, quite an amazing bit of detective work, but.....

BINGO, BONGO, YOU AREWRONGO

Huh. On closer inspection, I discover that, yes, I did have my addresses mixed up. Apologies to Cornflakes for accusing him of being my Secret Santa.

Furthermore, a bigger thanks to Mattallica for pointing this out, and being my Secret Santa.

And finally, I'm giving up playing detective before I embarass myself further. Thank you.

well, my secret santa's stuff came in today. i was super excited, much to my girlfriend's indifference. as i open the package, i see a yugioh tin, and my heart sinks. i think to myself, wtf, i hate this stuff. for a moment, i'm like, what did my secret santa send me, i hate card games. i have the tin sitting on my bed for a minute, and i say to myself, wait, what am i thinking, its only a tin (mind u i had an extremely excruciating trip from the mall to my house which normally takes 15 minutes take about 5 times as long, and just got back from a fruitless hunt for the TRU iron man set) so I open it and JACKPOT. Unmasked Doom, Lords Superman, WW logo blanks, a santa john stewart (one of my personal favorites), and a custom Despero (another favorite). this made up for my day and my initial stupidity. all in all, i just really want to thank jcastick for the great present and awesome customs.

p.s.: i know that i sounded ungrateful at first, but like i say, it was just a crappy day and i wasn't in a good mood at the moment. jcastick just know i didn't curse your name...too much, lol

p.s.s i just reread your comment about the gift being enjoyed. funny how it was addressed to me, and i didn't even realize it, the fun of the secret santa, lol

Edited by MinimateEspo25

well, my secret santa's stuff came in today. i was super excited, much to my girlfriend's indifference. as i open the package, i see a yugioh tin, and my heart sinks. i think to myself, wtf, i hate this stuff. for a moment, i'm like, what did my secret santa send me, i hate card games. i have the tin sitting on my bed for a minute, and i say to myself, wait, what am i thinking, its only a tin (mind u i had an extremely excruciating trip from the mall to my house which normally takes 15 minutes take about 5 times as long, and just got back from a fruitless hunt for the TRU iron man set) so I open it and JACKPOT. Unmasked Doom, Lords Superman, WW logo blanks, a santa john stewart (one of my personal favorites), and a custom Despero (another favorite). this made up for my day and my initial stupidity. all in all, i just really want to thank jcastick for the great present and awesome customs.

p.s.: i know that i sounded ungrateful at first, but like i say, it was just a crappy day and i wasn't in a good mood at the moment. jcastick just know i didn't curse your name...too much, lol

p.s.s i just reread your comment about the gift being enjoyed. funny how it was addressed to me, and i didn't even realize it, the fun of the secret santa, lol

Yeah, sorry about the tin.....it was the only thing I had that was the perfect size for that stuff to fit in! lol.....

My identity was probably pretty easy to figure out because of the custom.....XD

Thoroughly glad that you are enjoying your gifts, it was honestly a tough call!!

its ok, loved it. actually more than the custom, your address gave away the secret. your spilled your hometown in the TRU mates thread, and i remembered it from there. again though, that custom is awesome. its my first one from another member, and second one overall (recently made a OYL robin for myself)

Oh yeah.......forgot about that thread.... :blush:

And I'm happy to know that someone who received one of my customs enjoys it so much!

I'd love to see pictures of Despero is possible. Actually, I'd love to see pictures of any customs that people receive.

And as a reminder, today is the last day to get your gift in the mail, at the beginning of the busiest week of mail service of the year.

Edited by boyd

I was waiting for a meeting to start, sitting in a library, having pretty much time on my hands and a computer in front of me, so I started to figure out who my Secret Santa might be. I guess it's pretty hard, since I don't know who of mmmv is actually taking part in this fantastic thing. So, my only clue right now is the address label on the package which belongs to a company in the UK. I just googled the name of it and found out that it residents in Blackpool. Knowing that, the search function here didn't deliver any hit. So I googled a map of England to get to know where Blackpool is. (Nice seaside place, whoever you are! Doing this, I came up with another idea on which you might participate here, if you like to.) I'm sticking to the idea that my Secret Santa does work in Blackpool - and he's not a tricky little bast, em, Santa, setting me on the wrong track here - , but doesn't have to live there. So I checked which cities are close to Blackpool and came up with a few ones. Following these empirical results and acting upon this cogent theory, keeping the quote "I'll go with Liverpool most ppl know where that is" in mind, the only possible suggestion for my Secret Santa might be MiniFiend UK! Thank you very much!

BUT: If you give a crap about all that weired empirical mathematical science calculus stuff, you might just accidentally stumble across another member during your whole research and get to know, that he actually is from Blackpool and did comment on my strange German do-not-touch-that-until-christmas-behavior. So my official guess is: gledzee! Thank you very much, even if I didn't open your gift, yet!

Edited by Bob Harris