UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Luke314pi's Customs (New customs October 5th)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

Your work never ceases to amaze me. How'd you fashion Lilandra's cape?

I'm not sure where the cape originally came from. It was turquoise and I found it in my parts bin. I trimmed off the top left side with a hobby knife and sanded the edges down, then I glued on the round thing in front, which was also floating in my parts bin. After painting it, I had to glue it to Lilandra to keep it from falling off.

Most of my customs begin like this - with a thorough excavation of my parts bin. :P I tried to organize the damn thing once or twice, but I find it works better for me to have it all together. I used to keep my legos the same way, in one large bin. Much time was spent rooting around the bottom for that one special piece. :)

I'd like to see a photo with Xavier especially if you've custom made his Shi'ar chair?

His Shi'ar chair is a great idea! I will add that to my to-do list. :)

If your talking about the hover-chair, my comic shop had these little PVC X-men figures in bags(kinda like a happy meal toy), that's what I used. Just cut out the Xavier and put in the top-half of the mate. Oh, and that Lilandra kicks ass!! :)

Thanks for the nice words!

I finished up some customs I have wanted for a LONG time, The Infinity Watch. You have already seen Moon Dragon and Adam Warlock. Here are the rest, along with a group shot and a villain:

Drax:

drax.jpg

2.5" mate with sculpted skull, LOTR arm bands, and a modified LOTR cape.

Pip the Troll:

pip.jpg

Standard mate sanded down to be shorter. The hair is from one of the Man With No Name sets, with sculpted ears and sculpted leg har (ewwwww). The loincloth is cut from sheet plastic.

Gamora:

gamora.jpg

I know we have a new Gamora coming up, but I wanted the 80's version. She was pretty easy, since most of her body is from Mysterio with some details painted on.

Death:

death.jpg

Rocky's robe and SM3 Venom hands.

Infinity Watch:

infinitywatch.jpg

More cosmic Marvel customs are coming soon!

I was a customizing machine this weekend! Here are some new ones:

Captain Britain (70's era costume):

captain_britain.jpg

The hair is sculpted from Apoxy Sculpt.

Swordsman:

swordsman.jpg

The sword is a modified lego one, the waist piece is from on of the SF2 minimates, the mask is a modified Daredevil mask, and the shoulder strap is cut from a sheet of plastic.

Corsair of the Starjammers:

corsair.jpg

The hair is Apoxy Sculpt and the guns are modified Brick Arms.

Ch'od of the Starjammers:

chod.jpg

Ch'od is a 3" minimate with his extra features being either sculpted in Apoxy Sculpt or cut from a sheet of plastic.

Starjammers group shot (so far):

starjammers.jpg

At some point I will make the rest of them, but these two are my favorites.

Sasquatch (Exiles):

sasquatch_ex.jpg

My Exiles team felt lost without her. 2.5" minimate with extra features being either sculpted in Apoxy Sculpt or cut from a sheet of plastic.

Magus:

magus.jpg

Here is another great villain for the Infinity Watch. I'm not sure who the arm bands came from, but the chest accessories are cut from a sheet of plastic.

Arcade:

arcade.jpg

I am planning on making a little Murderworld playset to go along with him. This minimate is based on his early 80's, longer haired appearance. His bowtie is sculpted, his coat tails (hard to see in photo) are cut from a sheet of plastic, and his hair is a modified Phoenix hairpiece.

As always, I look forward to your questions and comments. :)

I have hardly heard of any of those characters, but love the custom work on them. What tools do you use for sculpting with the apoxy?

Thanks! I use the same tools for sculpting with Apoxy Sculpt, Milliput, and Super Sculpey - toothpicks, hobby knives, the opposite ends of paint brushes, and (most importantly) my fingers and fingernails. Each of the sculpting compounds has their own advantages. Lately I have really started to like Apoxy Sculpt, and I think it will replace Milliput for me, since it is easier to work with. I will still use Super Sculpey for any large sculpting projects, since Apoxy Sculpt is three times the price.

The two most important things to do when sculpting are smoothing everything out before it cures, and then sanding the hell out of it after it cures. For smoothing, I keep a small cup of water nearby (or rubbing alcohol for Super Sculpey). I don't use it on any parts that have small, fine details, like Corsair's hair. But I do use it for blending the sculpting compound to match back into the plastic, like where Ch'od's mouth stops and his minimate head starts again. For sanding I start with a lower grit sandpaper, and work my way up to higher (smoother) grits. I think the highest one I use is 200 or 300 grit. It feels so smooth you wouldn't even think its sandpaper, but it leaves a nice smooth finish on the custom.

Wow these are awesome!! I love that Arcade & Capt Britain but all are great!

I do have one thought though, as always not a critism more a I would have done it this way...

Would some cheekbone lines on the lower mask help make Cap B's lower mask seem less flat?

T.

Didn't Arcade have white shoes with red stars?

Dangit, the source art I was looking at showed dark grey shoes, so I went with that. But after I read your comment I looked at more source art and saw the white shoes with red stars. I will definitely be changing them. Thanks!

Didn't Arcade have white shoes with red stars?

Dangit, the source art I was looking at showed dark grey shoes, so I went with that. But after I read your comment I looked at more source art and saw the white shoes with red stars. I will definitely be changing them. Thanks!

Yea when I did Arcade for the villains contest last year I accidentally used black shoes and had to retake the picture.

Luke I feel super bad about not having checked in more recently.

No, I don't feel bad for you...

I feel bad for myself! How could I let myself miss out on these aweseom customs!

Crosair has always been a fav of mine and I absolutely LOVE your Lalandra and Darkbird.