UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Redoing DCD Minimates

hellpop

(This also shows how terrible it was that OMAC came with Batman rather then one of his rogues. Sorry, but it's a sore subject.) ;)

But me likey the OMAC :( I've got 7 of them hovering around on my DC shelf terrorizing Robin, being smacked around by Superman...

My only regret is that OMAC didn't come paired with another army builder like a Manhunter robot. 7 Batmen in the fodder bin doesn't do me much good but 7 Manhunter bots, Parademons or Checkmate agents...those I could certainly use.

I agree, the problem with OMAC isn't really one of quality but pairing. A Checkmate agent would be a GREAT idea. Another good possibility would be the new Blue Beetle, who debuted against the OMACs. Of course, this doesn't solve your army builder problem....

In a 'this is how I'd fill out 8 waves' not a 'this would've saved the line' manner, these are my changes:

wave 1: Omac for Mr. Freeze, Star Sapphire for Sinestro

wave 2: Brainiac for 80's Brainiac

wave 3: Ocean Master for Black Manta, battle damaged Batman for Ras Al Ghul

wave 4: Cyborg Superman for Doomsday, Golden Age Flash for Martian Manhunter & Wildcat for Darkseid

wave 5: Mary for Red Tornado, Red Tornado for modern Robin & Ma Hunkel for Two-Face, Guy Gardner for John Stewart

wave 6: Battle damaged Wonder Woman for Solomon Grundy, Stargirl for Scarecrow and STRIPE for Com. Gordon

wave 7: Ambush Bug for Guy Gardner

wave 8: Sinestro for Kyle Rayner & Salaak for Parallax, Question for Beast Boy & Batwoman for Wonder Girl, Red Son Superman for Alfred & RS Wonder Woman for Poison Ivy

Heh someone likes their GL's!

But even with those changes you don't have Alan Scott. Also we've already had Jon Stewart... perhaps that answers itself then?

T.

Actually, as long as I have Hal, I'm good with my GL's. In fact if anything I'd throw in more Batman related characters just because I like Batman the best. My thinking was if they gave me the current roster for 8 waves of DC Minimates and asked me to fine tune it with more main/known characters.

I didn't include Alan Scott because I wouldn't see the need in a couple of Golden Age characters among a bunch of modern characters.

Yeah, we have John Stewart but in a cartoon design rather than in line with the rest of the Minimates.

I should've put Firestorm in there somewhere. Hmmm.

Edited by Big Ape

I agree that the OMAC should have been paired with an army builer, but the pairing with Batman isn't any more of a stretch than with the new Blue Beetle since Batman created Brother Eye.

Except that there are many, many more characters to pair with Batman that have much longer histories. I agree with the basic idea of pairing an expected big seller like Batman with a lesser character, but this should be a Batman-specific villain with little chance of being made otherwise. In a perfect world, you'd have Batman with, I dunno, the Ventriloquist (which would mean you'd have a Minimate-sized Scarface. How cool would that be?). I think this is the formula that led to Green Lantern with Star Sapphire (rather then Sinestro), Aquaman with Ocean Master (rather then Black Manta), Wonder Woman with Ares (rather then the Cheetah). Rather then pairing the hero with his/her most recognizable adversary, you save that adversary for a sidekick/secondary hero (like Salaak with Sinestro). Now, they did screw this up a bit with Superman/Luthor; Superman should have come with the Parasite or somebody, and Luthor with Gangbuster or somebody like that.

DCD was smart to not pair Batman with either of the obvious choices, Robin or the Joker. But they dropped the ball with OMAC.

Neat ideas for changes to the line there hellpop. I enjoyed reading your explanations for the pairings you'd prefer.

Thanks... I've spent a lot of time thinking about it. Don't tell the wife or the boss! :lol:

The three things that upset me most:

1. No Black Canary....at least you can buy a C3 Martian Manhunter, but the JLA just isn't complete without her.

2. They teased us with the possibility of having a Titans team... but no Wonder Girl or Beast Boy.

3. I'm a HUGE Legion of Superheroes fan...and not a single one was made. :(

Of course the list goes on and on... no Poison Ivy, Kyle Rayner, Huntress ad nauseum..... :lol:

I'm almost glad that they never started the Legion, because there's almost no way to finish them. I don't know if I'd rather have some Legion or none.

You really only need Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, and Saturn Girl, in my opinion (though a Braniac 5 Minimate would nicely round out one of those 2-packs). Obviously, there are so many Legion members that DC Direct/DST could never release enough to complete the group or to satisfy everyone's interests. However, if they were only scheduled to release a few, random JSAers and Titan members, then I say, why not throw in a few, core Legion members, too? Particularly, before you get into the strange redecos like Commie Superman.

Things I didn't like:

- Mixing of Modern and Classic designs. They should have picked one or the other.

- Duplicate figures such as Battle Damaged Batman, Battle Damaged Superman, Battle Damaged Wonder Woman and Classic Batman.

- Ma Hunkel, Sgt. Rock & Blackhawk, Captain Marvel & Mary Marvel, Dead Man, Ares, Booster Gold & Blue Beetle, Ambush Bug, Red Son Superman & Red Son Wonder Woman.

- Joker's hat, Hal's mask (nose shading) and recycled Superman hair, Sapphire Star's Mask (she didn't come with extra hair so why attach it to her hair?), Barbara Gordan's blue and grey costume (love her black and gold).

Things I didn't like:

- Mixing of Modern and Classic designs. They should have picked one or the other.

- Duplicate figures such as Battle Damaged Batman, Battle Damaged Superman, Battle Damaged Wonder Woman and Classic Batman.

- Ma Hunkel, Sgt. Rock & Blackhawk, Captain Marvel & Mary Marvel, Dead Man, Ares, Booster Gold & Blue Beetle, Ambush Bug, Red Son Superman & Red Son Wonder Woman.

- Joker's hat, Hal's mask (nose shading) and recycled Superman hair, Sapphire Star's Mask (she didn't come with extra hair so why attach it to her hair?), Barbara Gordan's blue and grey costume (love her black and gold).

Not too many things then :blink:

Things I didn't like:

Not too many things then :blink:

Sounds like he liked Superman and Batman. The other 60 or so could have been thought out more though. :D

In fairness, I also dislike Joker's hat. I give them props for trying to differentiate him from the C3 Jokers, though.

That set "should" have included a second (non hat) hairpiece for Mr. J. Harley came with one.... sooo... in that case.... Ah well, to late now. :ermm:

In fairness, I also dislike Joker's hat. I give them props for trying to differentiate him from the C3 Jokers, though.

I liked his hat. It made him look like a gangster. That look worked for me. It went well with the trenchcoat and completed the look perfectly. I think he would have looked odd without a hat.

I'm almost glad that they never started the Legion, because there's almost no way to finish them. I don't know if I'd rather have some Legion or none.

You really only need Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad, and Saturn Girl, in my opinion (though a Braniac 5 Minimate would nicely round out one of those 2-packs). Obviously, there are so many Legion members that DC Direct/DST could never release enough to complete the group or to satisfy everyone's interests. However, if they were only scheduled to release a few, random JSAers and Titan members, then I say, why not throw in a few, core Legion members, too? Particularly, before you get into the strange redecos like Commie Superman.

I know it was just wishful thinking and I am showing my age, because The Legion was very popular during the Giffen/Levitz run in the early 80's...which is when I started collecting comics. Knowing that all these characters will probably never be made in regular action figure size, I just always thought minimates were the perfect form to include all these characters...but I realize it would have irritated the hell out of non-Legion fans. :P

I think that's the Legion that most fans would want. IMHO, DCD really dropped the ball when they made figures of the SA Legion rather then this version. I think the reaction to Geoff Johns' recent use of these characters has shown that that's the Legion that clicks with most readers.

All I know is, Wildfire's one of my 10 most wanted!

I think that's the Legion that most fans would want. IMHO, DCD really dropped the ball when they made figures of the SA Legion rather then this version. I think the reaction to Geoff Johns' recent use of these characters has shown that that's the Legion that clicks with most readers.

All I know is, Wildfire's one of my 10 most wanted!

I loved Wildfire! One of the best members in my opinion!

Well, to put a damper on your ideas, Im going to bring up that we were going to get the croc and penguin early on anyway, since they had already been designed for the gotham C3 set that never came out, the one from the hong kong toy show. However, I do support mr freeze since we saw the design for that too but never got an actual fig. Same with solomon grundy.

• 4 weeks later...

My suggestions. All modern designs unless noted...

(Wave 1)

- Superman & Armored Lex Luthor (Variant: Superman & Business Suit Lex)

- Hal Jordan & Sinestro (yellow)

- Wonder Woman & Circe

- Batman & Joker

(Wave 2)

- Superboy & Brainiac 13

- Aquaman & Black Manta

- Powergirl & Dr. Fate

- Robin & Two Face (Variant: Classic Robin & Two Face)

(Wave 3)

- Poison Ivy (Green skin) & Harley Quinn (Variant: Poison Ivy (Flesh tone) & Harley Quinn)

- Supergirl & Darksied

- Deathstroke & Green Arrow

- Flash (Wally) & Captain Cold

(Wave 4)

- Batgirl (Cassandra Caine) & Bane (Variant: Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) & Bane)

- Bizarro & Metallo

- JSA Flash & Wild Cat

- Beast Boy & Wonder Girl (Cassie)

(Wave 5)

- Trickster & Pied Piper

- Hawkman & Hawkgirl

- Guy Gardner & Kilowog (Variant: Guy Gardner Warrior & Kilowog)

- Red Tornado & Starman

(Wave 6)

- Donna Troy & Cheetah

- Cyborg Superman & Steel (Variant: Cyborg Superman & Black Suit Superman)

- JSA Green Lantern & Stargirl

- Nightwing & Scarecrow

2006 Exclusives

- John Stewart

(Wave 7)

- Cyborg & Starfire

- Mister Miracle & Big Barda

- Ra's Al Ghul & Ubu (Variant: Talia Al Ghul & Ubu)

- Kid Flash (Bart) & Mirror Master

(Wave 8)

- Salaak & Kyle Rayner (Variant: Jade & Kyle Rayner)

- Huntress & Black Canary

- Raven & Trigon

- Alfred & Catwoman

Edited by dachande