UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Writing to Save DC Minimates

Jatta Pake

UPDATED: February 22, 2008

Some have suggested expanding the writing campaign to save DC Minimates to go beyond writing DC Direct, so I've edited the title of this thread to reflect that. I will post the email addresses of toy magazines and retailers here so you can write to them as well. LET THEM KNOW YOU WANT DC MINIMATES TO CONTINUE! Let's make some noise.

DC Direct - askdcdirect@dccomics.com

ToyFare Magazine - fanfareletters@aol.com

Wizard Magazine - magicwords@wizarduniverse.com

Lee's Toy Review - editor@leestoyreview.com

Toy Collector Magazine - WEB EMAIL LINK

Playthings Magazine - cannicelli@reedbusiness.com

Captain Toy (Michael Crawford) - mwctoys@mwctoys.com

Action Figure Insider - julius@actionfigureinsider.com

Post more here and I will add to the list!

Original post:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello:

Thought it might be nice to start a topic with helpful tips regarding writing to DC Direct about continuing DC Minimates. While writing letters alone won't save the line, it will help communicate the passion for the collectibles to the powers that be.

You may feel, "I never beg anyone to take my money" and I feel the same way! But writing an email saying you like a product isn't begging! People do it all the time. You are just communicating your opinion and marketing information to the company. No begging, just passing along info. Send a short email and you've done your part.

Tips:

1) Be polite and respectful in tone.

2) Let them know how much of the DC Minimates line you regularly purchase, all sets or cases or just certain packs.

3) Let them know where you typically purchase DC Minimates, online or in the local comic book store. Pre-order or not.

4) Let them know if purchasing DC Minimates has resulted in your increased purchase of other DC products. For example, are you now buying trade paperbacks you would never have tried since the introduction of DC Minimates. Has the character diversity of DC Minimates got you more interested in the DC Universe?

I am sure others will have great suggestions. Hopefully this will help guide you and get you started with writing a letter.

Email: askdcdirect@dccomics.com

What if we mailed in UPC codes?

No, seriously. It's one way companies used to track actual sales before the intarwebs.

Haha. I'll do it just cause it's funny. I can see the guys at DC Direct opening the mail going, "why the *blank* do these crazy fanboys keep sending us proofs-of-purchase?!?!"

Anyone have the mailing address for DC Direct? Post it here and let's start mailing them unsolicited proofs-of-purchase!

I like the idea of sending the Minimate card backs to DC's offices.

Does anyone have a mailing address for DCD?

EDIT: here we are...

Address: 1700 Broadway, 7th Fl.

New York, NY 10019-5905

Phone: 212-636-5400

Fax: 212-636-5481

This is to the main offices of DC Comics

I guess I should have read this thread before I sent off my expletive filled hate mail. I've never been a very good negotiator :(

I know what you mean. I've been wanting to fire-off an e-mail for the last couple of days, but am allowing myself a bit more time to "cool-down" in the hopes of not coming-off like a prick! I'm still in completed denial of this recent developement. It was my personal belief that this was the strongest 'mate line to come down the pipe...utterly shocking. I still keep thinking, "Oh Art Asylum's production just have a really full-plate with all of DST's announced waves/sets and DCD are just taking a breather to put together some really mind-blowing stuff (boxsets, etc.) to take the game to the next level". I pray I'm right! It would be even more tragic than the C3 debacle if this were truly "the end".

I just sent an email to askdcdirect@dccomics.com and said...

I’m writing to let you know how much I’ve enjoyed your work on DC Minimates and say that I am saddened to hear that the line may be coming to an end.

I’ve pre-ordered every series to date and have ordered a case of Series 8 to show my support for the line. The quality in paint, character selection, accessories, and fun that DC Direct has put into DC Minimates has caused me to buy more DCD action figures and DC comics than I have in the past. Before the Minimates I didn’t buy all that many DCD figures (owned like 3) and didn’t have a very high opinion of the company. But DCD did such a great job with their Minimates that it forced me to give their 6 inch figures another look.

It’s been said recently that DC Direct wants to strive to complete more of its lines, a good start is to please continue DC Minimates.

Just sent this to DCD's email address.

Hi,

I'd like to write and tell you how sad I am to hear that the DCD MiniMates may be cancelled. I've bought 1 case of each series so far as support for the series and have picked up other sets individually on top of that. Even knowing that the line may be cancelled I'm still keeping my order for a case of Series 8 at my local comic book shop in the hopes that things may not be what they seem and that this wonderful line isn't finished after all.

It was very disappointing when the C3 line was cancelled before it really got a good start. It was just as great when I first found out that DCD would be taking over the line and making it their own. Now I'm disappointed again to hear that after only a year the line may be ending before it got anywhere close to as fantastic as was hoped.

So far the line has produced the best of any minimates (opinion, true... but I hear alot of this single opinion online and in local comic shops all the same). The variety of characters, paint applications, quality of plastic, thought to details and accessories are second to none.

I hope that things aren't so dire. There are several different threads over at the http://www.minimatemultiverse.com/ website and also on your own DCD board http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/forum.j...087&start=0 full of helpful ideas and support for the line as well as disappointment, confusion and disbelief that the line may being cancelled.

Please reconsider things.

Matt Strawbridge

I mailed this a couple days ago. It's a little more strident, in that I threaten to not buy any more DCD products, but my tone is still respectful. I think it's okay to let them know how strongly you feel, as long as you're not saying "You jerks! I'm not buying your #@!%$ toys anymore!"

Hello:

I have been a loyal DC Direct customer since your beginning, with Wonder Woman and Swamp Thing (okay, I skipped the Sandman); however, I am very disappointed in the news that DC Minimates may be ending, so much so that I will not be buying another DC Direct product if this is the case. Minimates are one of the most unique collectibles available, and Art Asylum has done an amazing job in producing these. Please don't let this be the end; there's still to many great characters to go!

Thanks,

Ken Raining

I've already written to DCD to let them know about the One More Wave thing. I'll send out a "press release" to the other pubs, too.

I had another thought. Would you guys be willing to talk to your LCS owners and try to get them to sign the petition? It would add credibility if business owners were in on this, too. If any LCSs are willing to do it, make sure they mention in the comment area their store and city.

Hi Guys, im trying to help to the cause i wrote and email too to DC Direct:

Hello DC Direct

I write you from Mexico, i have been fan to your minimate line since wave 1, i have to place my orders online because here in Mexico its difficult to get Dc Minimates (or any minimates by the way). I heard about the cancellation of this line, this is terrible news, i hope you reconsider this decision in behalf of all the many fans in the States and outside it.

We are excited about waves 7 and 8 and i hope that these are not the last, there is much more characters left and we as consumers are waiting for them.

Please listen tour petition !

Greetings

Carlos Mendez

Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

This is encouraging. I'll obviously need to correct them on it just being DC mates, and make sure they know it's still speculation at this point...

----

Hi Brian,

We did not know that Minimates were being discontinued. Our contributing

editor, Tom Hoepf, will contact you next week about this. It sounds

newsworthy, so I'm sure we can put something on our Web site.

Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Catherine Saunders-Watson

Editor-in-Chief

Toy Collector Magazine