UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Writing to Save DC Minimates

Jatta Pake

A quote from the DC boards...

The key is that it's not just what fans ask for, it's what retailers ask for. So, folks need to tell the stores they order DC MiniMates from to tell DC Direct (or Diamond, depending on where they order from) that you want more DC MiniMates. Even get into specifics of what DC MiniMates you want to see. Yes, fans are listened to, but retailers are HEARD.

A quote from the DC boards...

The key is that it's not just what fans ask for, it's what retailers ask for. So, folks need to tell the stores they order DC MiniMates from to tell DC Direct (or Diamond, depending on where they order from) that you want more DC MiniMates. Even get into specifics of what DC MiniMates you want to see. Yes, fans are listened to, but retailers are HEARD.

Maybe we can get Xybot from Stuckakid and Joel from BBTS, as well as any other online stores, to do the same?

Over on the Fwoosh boards, member and retailer Jeff Cope owner of Alley Cat Games & Comics in Dublin, OH wrote...

Thanks for the email address.

I'm a retailer who carries DC Minimates. They've done well for us. I just wrote DC and asked for the line to continue. Fingers crossed. I want a new Darkseid!

I want these to continue as a fan and as a retailer! I keep 'em near my register. They're a great impulse item.

I have to admit on not familiar with the DC Direct boards or the regulars who post there, but 3dean has been a regular on the boards since 2003. He seems to have a line of communication with Georg Brewer, the Veep at DC Direct. This is what 3dean wrote yesterday afternoon on the DC Direct boards:

3dean

Re: DC MiniMates Boxed sets - Team Themed?

Posted: Feb 27, 2008 2:54 PM in response to: mattress Reply

> Seems to me that between the numbers DCD has for what

> stores were ordering the minimates they sold... and

> the stuff people have posted online... that's a

> pretty good indication that they want the line to

> continue.

>

> I think DCD needs to lodge some kind of formal

> announcement about how they're "resting" and ask what

> people would like to see in an official format. Maybe

> then it'd give the fans more of an inclination to

> trust them when they say that the line is just

> "resting" and that they're thinking about the boxed

> sets rather than just lying to us.

>

> Matt

I can say that I was given the OK to post that the line was "resting" as Georg was not planning on a formal announcement. I do think that DCD will look into other alternatives especially if we keep up hope that DC MiniMates are revived.

The feedback we have going is great and we need to look at all aspects of getting the word out that these should continue, because unfortunately the sales figures just weren't high enough to merit the line continuing.

If stores say they want an impulse buy item from DC Direct, then DCD will listen to stores. Stores are supporting DC in their comics and other DC Direct products, so stores have a lot of weight with their requests. If they demand an impulse buy item from DCD, then DCD might consider continuing the MiniMates line even if they don't provide a huge profit margin.

This is the first semi-official indication I've seen that "sales figures weren't high enough" to continue the line.

Fans do seem to be getting heard though, which may not have been expected by Brewer. With the volume and variety of product going through comic shops, I don't think DC Minimates with their short time in the stores registered much with retailers. Retailer feedback to DCD was probably "blah" at the time DC Direct did their marketing research on Minimates. Still, I've been to a dozen stores in the SoCal area, and the clerks in the shops always say Minimates sell well.

I wrote an e-mail to scifigenre.com asking them to do the same.

EDIT: Kathy from scifigenre.com responded and told me she would tell DC Direct that they have been very successful with DC minimates and they would like the line to continue.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted Stuckakid and they wrote...

Thanks for writing in and hope you are well. We sure have heard this bit of news and are of course unhappy about it DC MiniMates have been a consistent top seller for our shop for it's entire run so far.

Believe it or not, we have already submitted feedback regarding the rumored fate of the line to DC Direct and have also signed off on the petition site here: http://onemorewave.blogspot.com/

If there is any other way that we can be of help in supporting this line, please just let us know... If they make 'em... We'll stock 'em for sure...

...contacted CCG Armory and they wrote...

Thank you for passing on this information. We are indeed sorry to hear that this line may be discontinued, we have enjoyed carrying them and they have sold well for us. We will contact DC Direct as you have recommended and pass on our preference that they continue the line.

...I also wrote Discount Comic Book Service who forwarded me the email they wrote to DC Direct...

We are writing about the end of the DC Minimates line. While these have been good sellers for us and are also great impulse buys, we believe that the figures are bringing in new, young readers. Although this is very anecdotal, my two sons and two of my nephews are very interested in DC Minimates and are starting to make the jump to comic books. One son and one nephew are now voracious comic book readers, reading up to one trade paperback a day, and my other son is starting to look at comic books. Their interest in comic books started with an introduction to Super-Heroes through DC Minimates. This is similar to my introduction to Super-Heroes through the Super Friends cartoon in the mid-1970s. I have now been collecting for over 30 years and sell comic books as a retailer with a store and Internet presence.

If DC Minimates still make money for DC, then we encourage DC to continue the line.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I like the idea of sending the Minimate card backs to DC's offices.

Does anyone have a mailing address for DCD?

EDIT: here we are...

Address: 1700 Broadway, 7th Fl.

New York, NY 10019-5905

Phone: 212-636-5400

Fax: 212-636-5481

This is to the main offices of DC Comics

Since wave 8 is finally almost here, I just wanted to remind everyone to send in your UPCs. If you keep your sets MOC, I suggest making a photocopy of the back of the package.

I like the idea of sending the Minimate card backs to DC's offices.

Does anyone have a mailing address for DCD?

EDIT: here we are...

Address: 1700 Broadway, 7th Fl.

New York, NY 10019-5905

Phone: 212-636-5400

Fax: 212-636-5481

This is to the main offices of DC Comics

Since wave 8 is finally almost here, I just wanted to remind everyone to send in your UPCs. If you keep your sets MOC, I suggest making a photocopy of the back of the package.

I like this idea, and I plan to send mine in. Also, I've been discussing with a few online retailers that I use about the "Buy DC MiniMates Day" this Wednesday, when the final Wave 8 is due. I asked around to see what folks thought and since I didn't get a lot of response I didn't go full tilt to get the word out.

Now that the day is so close, I have had some response (especially from the good folks at Stukakid). Since we didn't know for sure that DC MiniMates Wave 8 would be in stores on June 11th (with DC Direct's shipping schedule not always accurate), I was hesitant to set a date for the "Buy DC MiniMates Day." Now that it has been confirmed they are shipping on Wednesday, we don't have a lot of time to organize.

Would anyone be willing to create a "Buy DC MiniMates" logo or banner? I don't have Photoshop or any know-how when it comes to putting something like that together, but I know a few places that might use it if we create one.

If anyone is interested in joining the cause, please PM me. Thanks

3Dean