UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Book talk

616commando

Well, I'm sorry, but there should be a rule. When you hot the #102 mark, you are not allowed to stop and renumber everything.

I'm with you there. The constant re-booting for a temporary sales boost gets really tedious.

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm sorry, but there should be a rule. When you hot the #102 mark, you are not allowed to stop and renumber everything.

I'm with you there. The constant re-booting for a temporary sales boost gets really tedious.

Normally I agree with this view, but USM is being retitled/rebooted because they've also retitled/rebooted the entire universe... so it makes more sense to me than the typical "let's boost sales for a couple months" silliness. Also, the last issue of USM kinda suggests the new version

may have a different lead character (at least it looked to me like girly clone might be taking over -- if so, good timing on that Minimate DST!)

, and it is going to have a different artist (not a big deal on most titles, but USM only had two in it's entire run). So it seems a bit more justified than usual, to me at least.

Normally I agree with this view, but USM is being retitled/rebooted because they've also retitled/rebooted the entire universe... so it makes more sense to me than the typical "let's boost sales for a couple months" silliness. Also, the last issue of USM kinda suggests the new version

may have a different lead character (at least it looked to me like girly clone might be taking over -- if so, good timing on that Minimate DST!)

, and it is going to have a different artist (not a big deal on most titles, but USM only had two in it's entire run). So it seems a bit more justified than usual, to me at least.

This is going to sound impossibly stupid, but that makes me upset only in as much as I wanted to be the one that wrote USW's story. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I hope this isn't a necro but two books exist in my life that i must share...one is "Sum" by David Eagleman which explores the afterlife in 40 different ways, and the other is "The Last Olympian" by Rick Riordan which is the conclusion to the Percy Jackson Saga...both look good and especially recommend any of the "Percy Jackson" books theyre pretty well written books

"The Last Olympian" by Rick Riordan

My god, I JUST bought that book today. Please tell me they end it well!

And I don't know if I've already done this one and don't feel like browsing to find out. The Bartemaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. The books are The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate. All EXCELLENT books and some of the funniest I've read in a while. Get used to many footnotes though. Bartimaeus uses them a LOT to make some point, explain something, joke, or reference a Noodle Incident such as the "Affair of the Anarchist and the Oyster." (This one was referenced in Ptolemy's Gate. And by then and the later reference to that I REALLY wanted to know what that was. He never tells.) Great trilogy, fun character, and an overall must-read.

Currently reading Daemons Are Forever by Simon R Green. I'll read anything he's written. Just got done reading the 2nd book of his Deathstalker series. Its a sci-fi/fantasy blend. Kind of a Star Wars & LOTR blend.

I'll read anything Jim Butcher gets his hands on as well. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next Codex Alera book to hit paperback soon.

"The Last Olympian" by Rick Riordan

My god, I JUST bought that book today. Please tell me they end it well!

And I don't know if I've already done this one and don't feel like browsing to find out. The Bartemaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. The books are The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate. All EXCELLENT books and some of the funniest I've read in a while. Get used to many footnotes though. Bartimaeus uses them a LOT to make some point, explain something, joke, or reference a Noodle Incident such as the "Affair of the Anarchist and the Oyster." (This one was referenced in Ptolemy's Gate. And by then and the later reference to that I REALLY wanted to know what that was. He never tells.) Great trilogy, fun character, and an overall must-read.

I read the first book in The Bartemaeus Trilogy and honestly didn't like it...it was kind of meh but I love the Percy Jackson books and mythology period! I'm picking one of those books tomorrow...I think it'll be Sum though, it seems a bit more new and a bit more interesting not that The Last Olympian seems boring it's just that I want something new so... Haha I will read the last Olympian eventually though

I actually just proof read an advanced copy of a book that won't be on the market for a few months. It was an... interesting experience. I look forward to being able to discuss it openly, but I grantee that it will be VERY controversial. :/

Also, what's with all these books I'm running into lately where the main character shifts over to a 14yo girl who screws up her life, kisses a guy, confesses to her parents everything except for the boy part. My sister says it's accurate, but it's still annoying.

comic wise I am reading the current punisher ongoing, three deadpool titles (till suicide kings ends, then just the two ongoings), the new mutants, hack/slash, zodiac (3-parter), incognito, and X-FORCE!

and i'm reading a collection of short stories by neil gaiman called "fragile things" right now as well, great stuff.

Currently reading the Marvel Masterworks collection of the first 10 issues of X-Men (from the 60s). I never read many of these issues before, and as with all things Stan Lee or Jack Kirby during this period, they are great! I'm hoping the Thor edition will still be available at my LCS next time I can get over there.

and i'm reading a collection of short stories by neil gaiman called "fragile things" right now as well, great stuff.

I loved Fragile Things, just so happens I'm re-reading it right now. To date it's the only Gaiman book I've read so far (I know, shame on me, shame on me), but it's impressed me enough to make me want to read the rest of his work, right now I have Good Omens and Smoke & Mirrors next on my reading list :D

Off the top of my head, my personal favorites in it are

A Study in Emerald, Harlequin Valentine, Goliath, The Facts In The Case, that first story with Mr. Smith in it

... and that's all I remember so far. The rest of the stories are all good fun to read of course ;)

Meanwhile, am also reading this neat book about Salam Pax, the Baghdad blogger. And I'm still reading War Of Kings... damn, #5 was quite a punch to the gut for me :ohmy:

I loved Fragile Things, just so happens I'm re-reading it right now. To date it's the only Gaiman book I've read so far (I know, shame on me, shame on me), but it's impressed me enough to make me want to read the rest of his work,

You should check out his new(ish) one too, The Graveyard Book. It's kids lit, but awesome anyways, probably my favorite novel of his so far.

Best book I've read recently was The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall... kind of like he took the Thursday Next series, the movie Memento, and Jaws, and stuck them all in a blender. Crazy but good!

Comics, I'm back onboard with Runaways. Hated the Whedon and Moore arcs, but Kathryn Immonen's just started on it (she wrote an excellent Hellcat mini last year) and her first issue was great like Frosted Flakes.

ive been reading the game,by neil struass

What does a nice young lad like yourself need a devious little book like that for? I just finished his newest and more useful book called Emergency. There are a lot of good ideas in that book especially for these trying times.

They didnt have "Sum" at the book store so I ended up picking up Cormac Macathry's "The Road". WOW it is a great read so sad...anyone else read it?

I have it is heartbreaking for sure. Cried my face off reading that book. Can't wait to see the movie.

I loved Fragile Things, just so happens I'm re-reading it right now. To date it's the only Gaiman book I've read so far (I know, shame on me, shame on me), but it's impressed me enough to make me want to read the rest of his work, right now I have Good Omens and Smoke & Mirrors next on my reading list :D

yeah, I am loving it so far! I have anansi boys to read next, looking quite foward to it :D

and don't feel bad, this is the first book of his i've read so far as well :yes:

They didnt have "Sum" at the book store so I ended up picking up Cormac Macathry's "The Road". WOW it is a great read so sad...anyone else read it?

I have it is heartbreaking for sure. Cried my face off reading that book. Can't wait to see the movie.

Holy crap that is a good book. I am looking forward to the movie.

I have been reading Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Othr Botanical Atrocities. If you are into gardening or just like knowing fun facts about potentially dangerous plants, this book is a lot of fun.

I also highly recommend The Professor and The Madman. It's about one of the many contributors to the Oxford English Dictionary, that most glorious of works. Only this contributor happened to be an American convicted of murder and locked in an insane asylum. It was a real page turner.

I think they're taking the cannible characters from the book and overusing them to make it more of an action suspense kind of movie. I'm at the part in the book where the man and the boy have run out of food and camp out in a forrest where trees start falling on them...I might be a bit further but I'm not sure.=)

I haven't read it, but I came across the book 'Secret Identity' at work (we distribute it). It's the book about Superman co-creator Joe Shuster and how he did some pretty twisted fetish artwork later on in life. Just a quick glance inside shows enough sick stuff that changes how I view him and his creation. It'd be like finding out Mr. Roger's had a secret thing for leather or something. Very sad to see.

I finished that book mentioned earlier: The Last Olympian.

Quite a fun ending. Very predictable where the characters end up though. But someting tells me that Rick Riordan is not done with the Half-Bloods.