UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Who watches the Watchmen?

karamazov80

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came across that My Chemical Romance interpretation of Desolation Row for the movie and I felt really annoyed. I don't know, maybe I'm already too old for that stuff, but does anybody else feel that this is some kind of uninspired and fanciless? Compared to Dylan's original?

Anyway, in 24 hours I'll be sitting on my seat in movie theater. :yes:

I just came across that My Chemical Romance interpretation of Desolation Row for the movie and I felt really annoyed. I don't know, maybe I'm already too old for that stuff, but does anybody else feel that this is some kind of uninspired and fanciless? Compared to Dylan's original?

Had the exact same thoughts. People would say that since I'm young, I'd love MCR and not know who Bob Dylan even is, but man, is that wrong. :)

Its funny (and annoying) to hear the MCR version, and know how the original goes.

Had the exact same thoughts. People would say that since I'm young, I'd love MCR and not know who Bob Dylan even is, but man, is that wrong. :)

Its funny (and annoying) to hear the MCR version, and know how the original goes.

i like the cover but it annoys me that i cant understand the lyrics good thing i know dylan's original lyrics...check out the music video...it makes it a tad bit better...fridayfridayfriday...oh and nice nite owl bro

The cover is nice, but it really doesn't give out that Watchmen vibe that other tracks in the trailers and soundtrack have. I agree that the original is better.

Then again, it's just a bad song in general for the movie.

Edited by Nekoi

I did.

Well, actually I just came home from the movie theatre and it was a very nice film!It wasn't as brilliant as it could be, but it was well done.

Here are the black bars:

The Minutemen-The-Times-Are-A-Changin' Intro was an awesome idea in my eyes and I really liked how they adapted many of the details. Even the changed ending was, if not totally satisfying, a decision I can live with. It's more plausible then I thought it would be. I was totally surprised to see Jon completely naked throughout the whole movie and I didn't expect to see the sex scene in Archie that explicit, and really liked it. (Not in a voyeuristic way - of course both actors are sexy - but it really fits in there. It's not just one of those cheap exploitation sex-scenes.) I really loved Rorschach and Comedian was superb. Dan was a little too confident, especially in the beginning (Telling Rorschach those were great times, whatever happened to them? - You quit. That just wasn't conclusive in my eyes.) The chapter we see things the way Jon does was brilliant! Besides the fact that all plot lines that doesn't deal with the superheroes are left out (which I sort of understand and accept), I was very disappointed by Veidt. The actor was good, but my reception of him in the comics is more of a guy that has a perfectly good standing in public, is a charming and most favored person, intelligent but polite and somehow a "popstar" in a way Obama is (Read that brilliant interview with him to see what I mean). The movie Veidt is more of an arrogant and sinister businessman. That first press interview really introduced him as a bigheaded smart ass. Maybe they were looking for a villain somehow... And Laurie and Dan killing (!) people is completely ridiculous, they'd never do things like that, especially when Rorschach tells Dan afterwards that he's way too soft dealing with criminals. I mean, the difference between "superheroes" like Dan and "superheroes" like Rorschach are the fact, that the latter actually do hurt and kill people while the former wouldn't do that! That was really disturbing. Just like the action sequences. I mean, come on, Laurie and Dan unhesitatingly fighting like 20 knotheads? And Rorschach doesn't stumble upon a garbage can when he flees from Moloch's flat, but fighting 10 policemen? I mean, Wolverine does that, OK. But I always thought that these "superheroes" are that authentic because they are "just" atheltic and not superpowered. Well, maybe it's just me.

:geek:

But on the whole, just like I said, a very nice movie with many adorable scenes and some of lesser brilliance.

I did.

Well, actually I just came home from the movie theatre and it was a very nice film!It wasn't as brilliant as it could be, but it was well done.

Here are the black bars:

The Minutemen-The-Times-Are-A-Changin' Intro was an awesome idea in my eyes and I really liked how they adapted many of the details. Even the changed ending was, if not totally satisfying, a decision I can live with. It's more plausible then I thought it would be. I was totally surprised to see Jon completely naked throughout the whole movie and I didn't expect to see the sex scene in Archie that explicit, and really liked it. (Not in a voyeuristic way - of course both actors are sexy - but it really fits in there. It's not just one of those cheap exploitation sex-scenes.) I really loved Rorschach and Comedian was superb. Dan was a little too confident, especially in the beginning (Telling Rorschach those were great times, whatever happened to them? - You quit. That just wasn't conclusive in my eyes.) The chapter we see things the way Jon does was brilliant! Besides the fact that all plot lines that doesn't deal with the superheroes are left out (which I sort of understand and accept), I was very disappointed by Veidt. The actor was good, but my reception of him in the comics is more of a guy that has a perfectly good standing in public, is a charming and most favored person, intelligent but polite and somehow a "popstar" in a way Obama is (Read that brilliant interview with him to see what I mean). The movie Veidt is more of an arrogant and sinister businessman. That first press interview really introduced him as a bigheaded smart ass. Maybe they were looking for a villain somehow... And Laurie and Dan killing (!) people is completely ridiculous, they'd never do things like that, especially when Rorschach tells Dan afterwards that he's way too soft dealing with criminals. I mean, the difference between "superheroes" like Dan and "superheroes" like Rorschach are the fact, that the latter actually do hurt and kill people while the former wouldn't do that! That was really disturbing. Just like the action sequences. I mean, come on, Laurie and Dan unhesitatingly fighting like 20 knotheads? And Rorschach doesn't stumble upon a garbage can when he flees from Moloch's flat, but fighting 10 policemen? I mean, Wolverine does that, OK. But I always thought that these "superheroes" are that authentic because they are "just" atheltic and not superpowered. Well, maybe it's just me.

But on the whole, just like I said, a very nice movie with many adorable scenes and some of lesser brilliance.

i hate being in junior high i friggin cant see the midnight showing at the palms....dammit!i think im gonna go to a release party at the palms with some of the dudes from my lcs...friday....i will be watching the watchmen...

*sigh* My anger over the nationwide censoring of Watchmen here continues to make my blood boil. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the voyeuristic type either. But seeing as this is perhaps the very first comic book I'm really passionate about, the purist in me would've at LEAST liked the opportunity to be able to fully savor the movie in theaters WITHOUT EFFING CUTS. Yes, I'm looking at you, MTRCB :angry:

... but I'm still gonna watch it in theaters anyway. I don't think my patience can hold long enough for the DVD to come out here. In fact, I might just try stealing away after school later to see it...

And Laurie and Dan killing (!) people is completely ridiculous, they'd never do things like that, especially when Rorschach tells Dan afterwards that he's way too soft dealing with criminals. I mean, the difference between "superheroes" like Dan and "superheroes" like Rorschach are the fact, that the latter actually do hurt and kill people while the former wouldn't do that! That was really disturbing. Just like the action sequences. I mean, come on, Laurie and Dan unhesitatingly fighting like 20 knotheads? And Rorschach doesn't stumble upon a garbage can when he flees from Moloch's flat, but fighting 10 policemen? I mean, Wolverine does that, OK. But I always thought that these "superheroes" are that authentic because they are "just" atheltic and not superpowered. Well, maybe it's just me.

Okay, these are coming as real "red flags" for me seeing as I still have to watch the movie. Although the scene with

Dan, Laurie and the knotheads

I always fancied as being a sort of hilarious, over-the-top scene anyway (given that the "action" was the sort of thing they've been sorely missing for years since the Keene Act), although the

gratuitous killing

indeed sounds like overkill. As for Rorschach's scene, him

singlehandedly taking on 10 policemen after fleeing Moloch's flat

I really don't have an issue with, because after all, the point was that

he eventually lost that encounter anyway.

But again, I reserve all final, nitpicky judgments for AFTER I see the film.

... and now my mom's dissuading me from seeing the film all by myself, wich means I might have to wait another day to see it JUST because she's getting all finicky over my brother losing his wallet in the mall. It's partly the overprotective-parent thing, but it's annoyingly also more of the oh-you're-such-a-helpless-girl-who-can't-make-it-on-her-own-in-the-big-bad-city thing. Yeesh, as if Mom. <_<:rolleyes:

... and now my mom's dissuading me from seeing the film all by myself, wich means I might have to wait another day to see it JUST because she's getting all finicky over my brother losing his wallet in the mall. It's partly the overprotective-parent thing, but it's annoyingly also more of the oh-you're-such-a-helpless-girl-who-can't-make-it-on-her-own-in-the-big-bad-city thing. Yeesh, as if Mom. <_<:rolleyes:

You know... something makes me think that this is not about your brother's wallet. I bet your mom just wants to see the movie and doesn't want to admit it :)

You know... something makes me think that this is not about your brother's wallet. I bet your mom just wants to see the movie and doesn't want to admit it :)

Yeah right, as if my mom's pop culture-savvy enough to want to see an R-13 (here, at least <_<) superhero movie. Truth is she is the epitome of the completely clueless, out-of-touch-with-the-times parent. Jeez, she can't even visually tell the difference between Watchmen and Battlestar Galactica :confused:

I did.

Here are the black bars:

I knew they were going to extended dan and laurie's sex scene, I mean c'mon sex sells!, as for he doc being naked, that kinda surprised me, i mean I figured he be censored, since the dave gibbons poster had him... as for the fight scene, i expect them to be cheesy and a exaggerated, also you stated that the doc's past is executed brilliantly so thats makes me glad, since the doc is my fav character, anyway now I really can't wait for the movie, so thanks for your summary!

2 more days!!! :D :D

Edited by SErge

I just got home after watching the Watchmen and without getting in to it to deep I will say that I liked it for the most part but it is a lost to digest and for the first time in a long time I want to see it again so that I can form an educated opinion about it.

Okay, these are coming as real "red flags" for me seeing as I still have to watch the movie. Although the scene with

Dan, Laurie and the knotheads

I always fancied as being a sort of hilarious, over-the-top scene anyway (given that the "action" was the sort of thing they've been sorely missing for years since the Keene Act), although the

gratuitous killing

indeed sounds like overkill. As for Rorschach's scene, him

singlehandedly taking on 10 policemen after fleeing Moloch's flat

I really don't have an issue with, because after all, the point was that

he eventually lost that encounter anyway.

But again, I reserve all final, nitpicky judgments for AFTER I see the film.

Actually it is the knothead scene were Dan and Laurie first break some bones - literally - and then breaking necks and stabbing people with knives, while they are smiling relieved and satisfied afterwards. That's completely wrong in my eyes. And for the physical superhero thing, maybe Comedian breaking walls with his bare hands clarifys my critique a little. That's just unnecessary.

I knew they were going to extended dan and laurie's sex scene, I mean c'mon sex sells!, as for he doc being naked, that kinda surprised me, i mean I figured he be censored, since the dave gibbons poster had him... as for the fight scene, i expect them to be cheesy and a exaggerated, also you stated that the doc's past is executed brilliantly so thats makes me glad, since the doc is my fav character, anyway now I really can't wait for the movie, so thanks for your summary!

@ more days!!! :D :D

It isn't a real sex-sells-scene. It's kind of - I don't know - cute, romantic and funny, playing Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" in the background. The first scene with Doc in his lab was kind of introduced as if they were going to be censore him, because everytime he turns there is a cut. Ten minutes later, he's all naked. The fight scenes are bloody, gore, splattering and very detailed. Cheesy isn't the word that describes it the right way.

;) I mean, it's okay for the brutality Rorschach offers, but Dan and Laurie: no. And the Doc's reflections are of course way shorter than they are explained and shown in that whole chapter, but very intense. I bet you like him!

Can't wait to fanboy debate with some of yours after more people saw it. :) For example the altered

Crimebusters "Watchmen" meeting fiasco without Captain Metropolis.

:ohmy:

All righty then... just came back from seeing the movie.

... Right now I'm still reeling from the basic shock of finally getting to see Watchmen on the big screen, so understandably I'm still kinda awestruck right now... perhaps I might organize my opinions better after some time, or a second viewing ;) For now here's what I can say about the movie:

It's not Oscar-winning material, and again I am seeing some parallels with this and Snyder's rendering of 300 in that he made some scenes more over-the-top (and not in the so-bad-it's-good kitsch way) than needed. And that's not even mentioning all the stuff he distilled from the source material (i.e. the abbreviated Rorschach-shrink scene, the general stripping of the emotional nuances of the comic book in favor of the usual cheap Hollywood pathos). Still, the fact that Snyder actually cares about the material really shows, and if he sought to turn this otherwise obscure comic book into a crowd-pleasing mega-blockbuster hit (and we ALL know that's exactly it), then I'd say he did a pretty okay job. Oddly my main concern upon seeing this movie is that Snyder has now made it THAT MUCH easier for Watchmen to get mercilessly lampooned in that unpleasant Epic Movie manner (ugh, by the two guys in the movie business JUST AS BAD as Uwe Boll)

:blink:

And now I can identify at least ONE OTHER scene that got cut from the movie (aside from the Black Freighter and the possible newsstand intercuts): there was this Japan-exclusive Watchmen trailer I saw that actually featured a snippet of the scene where Hollis Mason gets killed by the knothead mob. I just feel kinda sorry that it got cut, 'cause I felt it would've added so much more to that cheesy scene where Nite Owl II goes "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when Rorschach dies.

Also, was I the only one SERIOUSLY bothered about how the movie sorta changed up the Silhouette's schtick, especially how it seemed to imply she deserved to die? :(

Otherwise, the opening credits were made of win. (I especially loved Andy Warhol's Nite Owl II print and Ozymandias at Studio 64 with David Bowie) Hendrix's "All Along The Watchtower" is made of win. And Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" during the Archie sex scene was rich. (or at least it would've been... that scene was cut up here worse than a post-Jack The Ripper hooker <_<)

That's all I can remember for now. If anything else interesting comes up I'll try to save it for this thread. (Ahh... I cannot WAIT to see the TV Tropes page for this movie :lol: )

Edited by NorthRaider

Considering the whole black-bars returning I'd suggest to open another thread for those who actually watched the watchmen, so we don't spoil anything and don't bother people with those bars.

Anyway:

And now I can identify at least ONE OTHER scene that got cut from the movie (aside from the Black Freighter and the possible newsstand intercuts): there was this Japan-exclusive Watchmen trailer I saw that actually featured a snippet of the scene where Hollis Mason gets killed by the knothead mob. I just feel kinda sorry that it got cut, 'cause I felt it would've added so much more to that cheesy scene where Nite Owl II goes "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when Rorschach dies.

That's absolutely right. Cutting off those scenes just lessens the complexity of the characters. Especially Dan.

He's such a wonderful character, but he needs to be shown as this broken, nostalgic man who has to be Nite Owl for his own welfare.

Take away a few minutes of bone-breaking and add some dialogue and emotional acting. But if you already saw some of those material we might hope for a more detailed DVD?

Also, was I the only one SERIOUSLY bothered about how the movie sorta changed up the Silhouette's schtick, especially how it seemed to imply she

deserved to die?

I was just blasted and all smiles by that awesome intro so I don't really remember. Can you give me a clue on what was shown?

Otherwise, the opening credits were made of win. (I especially loved Andy Warhol's Nite Owl II print and Ozymandias at Studio 64 with David Bowie) Hendrix's "All Along The Watchtower" is made of win. And Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" during the Archie sex scene was rich. (or at least it would've been... that scene was cut up here worse than a post-Jack The Ripper hooker

<_<)

The way the opening credits cover the time from the 40s to the 80s, how they envolve the whole Minutemen problems up to the bitter end and the new adventurers came along with that perfectly fitting Dylan song in the background. That was so amazing! Maybe the highlight of the whole movie... You already mentioned some of the best moments and I'd add that tragic scene when Dollar Bill found dead and the scene were J.F.K. got shot. The latter was a little too close to say it actually

was Blake. You don't really know it, but that smile on his face... And:

eisenstaedt_alfred_M2_vj_day_lasiter_16x

Oh, and it's studio 54, hon. ;)