UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Who watches the Watchmen?

karamazov80

They are already selling shirts,sweaters,and posters at hot topic, so it won't be long until the badge/button comes out, I plan to get a least two, one of the posters(dave gibbons artwork) and the kool sweater!

Hell, I plan on eventually getting myself that badge too. (Might as well, since I sorta collect interesting badges now... I already have ones of John Lennon, John Cena and Barack Obama at home.) The only difference being of course that unlike our local subculture of incorrigible fanboy wannabes, I actually read the book.

Easy-as-pie Watchmen litmus test: Approach anybody with a Comedian badge, and ask them what Rorschach's real name is.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, thank goodness. Now to celebrate by converting another comic newb to the Watchmen religion! :P

(I'm lending my cherished paperback copy to a friend of mine. Hopefully she'll have returned it by March in time for the premiere!)

Hell, O've lent my cherished Trade Paparback to no less than nine people in the last five months. In fact, I'm considering getting the hardcover (either actually getting Absolute or just the plain hardcover) for myself and having the TPB to lend out. That book has been read by more people than about 2/3 of my school's library.

Pretty awesome video here.

You're absolutely right, karamazov. Very well done. "It's hard to imagine a world without him, isn't it Todd." That's brilliant.

And that

betterblue.jpg

is so wonderfully stereotype, it really captures the spirit!

You all should be up to date by supporting integrity in journalism.

This will probably be the first time I actually follow the viral marketing campaigns for any movie ever. The Cloverfield and Dark Knight virals were mighty cool, 'cept I never really paid attention to them since I wasn't a huge fan. I did however love the old promotional stuff for the V For Vendetta movie, even cutting out this cool newspaper ad for the English version of this:

poster5%20James%20McTeigue%20V%20for%20V

I cannot wait to check out the Watchmen virals. I also hear they're releasing a sort-of prequel video game for the movie, told from Rorschach's point of view. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if that will include any exclusive stuff to foreshadow the film...

I cannot wait to check out the Watchmen virals. I also hear they're releasing a sort-of prequel video game for the movie, told from Rorschach's point of view. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if that will include any exclusive stuff to foreshadow the film...

It's not just Rorschach. Nite Owl II is a main character there too.

I hope this picture posting isn't regarded as spam, but I just found that here and thought it's a great idea and a pretty darn good executed one as well. A Golden Age Night Owl (I) Comic featuring Minutemen fellows Silk Spectre (I), Cap Metropolis and even Hooded Justice. On the right is the original artwork used as an inspiration featuring Golden Age heroes Falsh, Hawkman and Black Canary.

NiteOwlCovLo-Res.jpgflash_92.jpg

dude the JLA, and Avengers pics are hilarious, just saw that remembering Dr.Manhattan video, pretty sweet, the website got updated, showing more clips and voice overs, aswell as samples of the soundtrack!

I love golden age artwork and riffs on it like this. Not Watchmen related, but I saw this awhile back, and really love it. It is by the same artist, I believe:

This guy is obviously awesome!

BUT I just spotted that they use some of the songs Moore introduced in the comic :ohmy:

- "Desolation Row" - "At midnight, all the agents" from Chapter I, not by Bob Dylan, but My Chemical Romance, which in my eyes - or ears - will sucks per se <_<

- "Unforgettable" - Nat King Cole - the music to a Nostalgia commercial from chapter VII!

- "The Times They Are A-Changin’" - this time Bob Dylan, thanks a lot!, again as a Veidt commercial from chapter XI.

- "All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi Hendrix, from chapter X.

- "You’re My Thrill" - Billie Holiday - Yay, the song Dan plays on the Owl Ship during the fire rescue and love scene!

They also added "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen (which is wonderful!), but should have used chapter II's "The Comedians" by Cohen. And they enclosed "Pirate Jenny" interpreted by Nina Simone, the famous song from Brecht's Dreigroschenoper (The Threepenny Opera) as being the end-credits for the Tales From The Black Freighter! (But I have to admit, Hildegard Knef in the original version of "Jenny, die Seeräuberbraut" is by far the better and more energetic artist for that song, but the english version delivers the line "There's a ship, the Black Freighter" in it, the line Moore got his title from, so it's abolutely justified.) :pirate:

I don't need to buy that CD - maybe vinyl, hrum?! - since I do have most of the songs, but I do love the idea to hear all these songs throughout the movie! You can find all songs listed here.

Edited by Bob Harris

Okay, now I am DEFINITELY getting both those CDs. Love the dangerously self-explanatory song titles on the original score... just a bit of a bummer that Smashing Pumpkins song (from the first trailer) isn't on the soundtrack.

(I wonder if people have figured out the difference yet: The original song that appeared on the Batman & Robin soundtrack is titled "The End Is The Beginning Is The End", while the version on the Watchmen trailer is titled "The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning." Gee, thanks a lot Billy Corgan :lol:)

Edited by NorthRaider

(I wonder if people have figured out the difference yet: The original song that appeared on the Batman & Robin soundtrack is titled "The End Is The Beginning Is The End", while the version on the Watchmen trailer is titled "The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning.")

You're way too late, Raider! Waaay too late! I did mention that here like aeons ago! :geek:

(We call people acting like that "Klugscheißer" in German, which I can't really translate accurately, but it means that I'm a clever shit!) :P

You're way too late, Raider! Waaay too late! I did mention that here like aeons ago! :geek:

(We call people acting like that "Klugscheißer" in German, which I can't really translate accurately, but it means that I'm a clever shit!) :P

Heh heh, figured it was worth repeating anyway. If the random incorrect song titles you often see on torrents and download sites were any indication, clearing up the confusion between those two had to be a moot point. (Yeah, I'm real OCD when it comes to correct song titles.)

Anyway, just discovered the desktop wallpapers on the Watchmen website. I am officially in love with this one:

post-2659-1232856333_thumb.jpg

One of my favorite covers in the whole series, not to mention one of the best, saddest chapters in the book.

Why the photoshop look in the polaroid there? Couldn't they actually pose in front of an actual theme park somewhere? On my old computer, I actually saved the wallpapers from the first supposed movie that had Greengrass attached. I've still got a thumbnail of it on my photobucket page:

thwatchmen.jpg

I remember waiting fervently for 2006 to come around!

Double post!

Check out the marketing blitz for this thing (this is really disturbing on some level):

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/menu.aspx?menu=1687

Every kid at school must have a Dr. Manhattan lunch box or Rorschach key chain!

PAGING ALAN MOORE!!! :lol:

As far as Watchmen "collectibles" go, I'm probably gonna get a bloody Comedian badge and that's it. I'm having a real issue with all the merchandise saying "Who Watches The Watchmen" on it... IIRC the whole phrase NEVER appeared in full in the comics, right? (It was always cut-off mid-word in the grafitti or something)

:angry: at the misguided usage of the Doomsday Clock imagery on the keychains, etc (the Doomsday Clock exists in REAL LIFE, you know) And I cringed at the Dr. Manhattan baseball cap.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the video last night and I have to admit, that I don't like it that much. The stuff they released so far was awesome - the Dr. Manhattan news flash, photographs, etc. - but this time it somehow wasn't satisfying. The idea is brilliant - and so is the footage material they've used-, but it would be way cooler to realize it as a news report. And I don't like the way they used Rorschach as an example. It's too explizit I guess.