UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Video Game Discussion

neolego

*edit* I just read Neo's post about wanting to play only cute games with no violence or realism... You are in a minority there mister, well you and parents of under 10's. I agree that I dont play a game that's violent for the sake of violence or gore on screen but it's part of what videogames are and to deny that anything that contains a little blood or realistic violence are less popular than the sugar coated fair Nintendo serve up is well just that denial. ;)

I don't think he meant games like Dora the Explorer but rather games with cartoon violence. Resident Evil Zombie - scary. Mario Goomba - not so scary. But if both are real, I'd still run away screaming like a girl.

I just feel that Nintendo is satisfying a different market than Microsoft and Sony. I can't say that Nintendo is a system for "hardcore" gamers, but it is a system for the family and the casual gamer. They just simplified the market for all ages (DS and Wii) since the market is too dominated by the "hardcore" types nowadays. Just going back to the basics: fun, wholesome entertainment for the masses. And they stick to that rule, from Super Mario Bros. to Super Mario Galaxy. I can't see it being wise to keep catering to the same generation that you got hooked and abandon the younger and newer potential people. They try to keep satisfying everyone. Any game can be someone's first, right? You may say rehash for Nintendo games. But I see it as a young kid's first video game library. Easy to get into for newer people, but deep enough for the more experienced. If anything, Nintendo is an entry point for new, potential gamers to branch out to other systems and games that have something different to offer. And that, I think, is a good thing.

And then you can pwn those noobs on your XBox Live. :biggrin:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*edit* I just read Neo's post about wanting to play only cute games with no violence or realism... You are in a minority there mister, well you and parents of under 10's. I agree that I dont play a game that's violent for the sake of violence or gore on screen but it's part of what videogames are and to deny that anything that contains a little blood or realistic violence are less popular than the sugar coated fair Nintendo serve up is well just that denial. ;)

Dude, just wait till I see you online again with CoD. I'm going to make my sole purpose killing you.....violently ;). j/k

I agree that I am in the minority as to the games I play, and I'm OK with that. I was just making a personal reference. However, I do think that the point is true and there are a lot of games that thive on making the most sensless killing or extreme violence or overly sexual almost to the point of controversy. No More Heroes, GTA, Manhunt, etc. Games like this are not good for the business. Not because they provoke kids to violence, but because they are emotionally unstable. The format was created to give kids (of all ages) an interactive gaming experience. It's fine in it's place. You can't play a War game or a Ninja game without people dying. Heck, you can't even play Mario without smashing some Goombas flat as can be. But there is a point when it becomes too believable or they try to make it too real.

Anyway, I will be happy in the minority, playing amazing games like LEGO Star Wars and Super Smash Bros. and Worms Arcade :D.

Now, why not move on. Here's a question, what control type do you guys use in Super Smash Bros.? I've tried 2 of the 4 and as of right now, I prefer the Wii Remote turned sideways. I refuse to play with a GameCube controller on my Wii, so I only have three options. I want to try the classic controller mode, but haven't gotten around to it. I can't stand the Wii/Nunchuk set up, it just feels very OFF. What about you guys, what works best for you? neo

Picked up Brawl yesterday. Fantastic! I don't really understand the stickers yet, though.

Unless I'm mistaken, the stickers just boost players' attributes in the single player mode. So, if you get a "fist attack +5," then that character's fist power will go up. It's similar to what you might see in a role playing game. My guess is that, as you progress through the single player mode, it gets much more difficult if you don't up your players' stats (again, like an RPG).

Karamazov is right. So right in fact, he wrote it twice ;).

Kidding aside, the stickers are used in the Subspace Emissary mode. You have a limited amount of space and you can try and fit as many stickers as possible in that space. So, not only is chosing the right ability important, but also making the best use of space and including as many as possible. It is a nice, light-RPG element that is added to the robust fighting mechanics. Well done! neo

Speaking of Sonic though, help me out an inch. My "problem" is unique. According to the spoiler filled Smash Wiki, Sonic is unlocked through these methods.

For your "problem":

Beat Classic mode with 10 different characters.

I beat it on easy with the starting characters and I got Sonic.

Hope that helps!

I'm more of a casual gamer and other than a Sega Game Gear, I've only owned Nintendo consoles. I'm more than happy with them since other systems games just don't interest me much. It's just a personal preference and I love the old familiar Nintendo franchises.

I haven't done that either. He just kinda unlocked after some vs matches. And I don't have the number stated, so it isn't that.

I haven't done that either. He just kinda unlocked after some vs matches. And I don't have the number stated, so it isn't that.

You can see how many vs matches you have played (among other statistics) in the records section. I'd be amazed if Sonic is actually achieved through a small number of vs matches but I think some of those methods of achieving characters at online FAQs isn't 100% accurate. So did you actually fight him to get him as a playable character or just appeared?

Dude, just wait till I see you online again with CoD. I'm going to make my sole purpose killing you.....violently ;). j/k

Now, why not move on. Here's a question, what control type do you guys use in Super Smash Bros.? I've tried 2 of the 4 and as of right now, I prefer the Wii Remote turned sideways. I refuse to play with a GameCube controller on my Wii, so I only have three options. I want to try the classic controller mode, but haven't gotten around to it. I can't stand the Wii/Nunchuk set up, it just feels very OFF. What about you guys, what works best for you? neo

Gamecube. Sorry.

Anyway, I am still working on Subspace Emissary in Brawl, but once that is beaten I will be going online (hopefully), so if you want to battle, well:

"PM me your freind code, horse master, and I shall PM you mine"

(LOTR joke for those who don't understand)

So, I'm here, as usual, to stir the pot.

I love Smash Bros as much as the next guy... But up until I got it my Wii was unplugged.

BAM!

Was that in your face or what?

I also loved Zelda. ... A year ago.

BAM!

Since then I've been playing 5 games on a rotating basis:

Mass Effect

Halo 3

Viva Pinata (don't diss it til you try it)

Orage Box

Rock Band

I have to say that while Nintendo DOES make phenomenal games, they're too far between.

I'm not sure who to side with in this cause you guys are all fanboys in my opinion. :P

But, I think I've gotta go TBT. ;)

Hey guys, if any of you want to play Smash Bros. sometime, my friend code is:

2406-4822-1886

I just beat the Subspace mission today, so now I'm all about the online multiplayer. I look forward to destroying some of you on the battlefield :) (edit: or not, I just played some tonight, and man, do I suck!)

Hey gang, it's the clueless Donster asking another technical question. I told everyone that I had a new wireless router, but I'm wondering if I have too much router and should get a cheaper one? My computer is currently downstairs, while my 360 is upstairs. So I want to make sure I can get enough juice to the upstairs. Although I did hear today that it's better to use the ethernet cable, instead of the wireless, because of a lag time on wireless.

Has anyone heard of this and can you recommend a good router, wireless or ethernet, if I have the wrong router? My wife actually said it best today, "that router we got you is like 2 games you could be currently playing honey". So I bring it to the masses that are more electronic saavy than myself to give me the answer needed. Thanks in advance, appreciate the assistance.

So, I'm here, as usual, to stir the pot.

I love Smash Bros as much as the next guy... But up until I got it my Wii was unplugged.

BAM!

Was that in your face or what?

I also loved Zelda. ... A year ago.

BAM!

Since then I've been playing 5 games on a rotating basis:

Mass Effect

Halo 3

Viva Pinata (don't diss it til you try it)

Orage Box

Rock Band

I have to say that while Nintendo DOES make phenomenal games, they're too far between.

I'm not sure who to side with in this cause you guys are all fanboys in my opinion. :P

But, I think I've gotta go TBT. ;)

Ah, just when I think I'm going to get a nice peaceful day.......... ;)

I want to say that I agree with your statement 100% Nestle. I, however, didn't believe that was what the "disagreement" was about, lol. I think the discussion was started because Timbo was tired of Nintendo rehashing old games, or wearing out the tires if you will. His point is they haven't tried to innovate or reimagine their main series for a very long time. That is where I differ, and I used Mario, Zelda, and Metroid as prime examples of how Nintendo has evolved those franchise and in the process has made it better each time until it's dang near perfect gaming!

Now, that being said, I agree with you completely. Believe it or not, right before Christmas I was "this close" to trading my Wii in for some 360 games. While the 3rd party support has been abundant this time for Nintendo, 90% of it SUCKS! And the big N releasing only a handful of 1st party games per year it does make keeping the console hard. However, just like you said Zelda and Mario were AMAZING last year. Smash Bros and Mario Kart will be AMAZING this year. And, in the meantime, I have my friendly 360 to keep me busy. I'm a proud Wii60 owner and always will be, because the 360 satisfies the hardcore gamer in me that wants graphics, power, and variety. While the Nintendo will always fill the need for flawless, quality titles.........if it is every 6 months or so :D. neo

You can see how many vs matches you have played (among other statistics) in the records section. I'd be amazed if Sonic is actually achieved through a small number of vs matches but I think some of those methods of achieving characters at online FAQs isn't 100% accurate. So did you actually fight him to get him as a playable character or just appeared?

I think I figured it out... supposedly, he can be unlocked the fourth method of

around 50 4 player vs matches.

I had done that and that's around when he popped up, so try it. I've beaten the story too. Got all the characters but one (

Wolf

). When I get home I'll get my friend code up for you guys.

Post some friend codes, come on!

OK, hre's my code:

2277-6320-2989

I won't be online until I beat subspace (on the last mission!) and unlock pretty much everyone (Jigglypuff, Wolf, and Toon Link left!). Then, you're dead.

Also, along with the code, post who your character is. I use Meta Knight a lot and occasionally Pit and Pokemon trainer. I need to get in shape with Ganondorf, he was my best originally. Samus has fallen to one of my medium skilled now because there are so many better characters. Anyone else use Olimar?

EDIT: I use my name as TREKk, but that may change to TRK42 sometime soon.

EDIT of the EDIT: Now I am TRK42 officially. Also, Game and Watch is my character. Yay G&W

I've always been a Link fan, since the first game. I really liked Marth in Melee. But now, I've fallen in love with Pit! He may just be my favorite of the series. I love that he can fly, it makes it near impossible to kill him and I LOVE his moves. He's my favorite......along with Link still :). neo

Let me ask another Smash Brothers related question. Who do you think is the "best" fighter? After playing for about 5 hours with a friend last night, I can say that there is an amazing degree of parity here. I think Link, Lucario, and Donkey Kong won the most matches at my house last night, so based on that, I'm going to say that I think they are the best fighters (for some reason, Lucario's massive fireball of doom is a freakin' killing machine!).

I think it really depends on the player to be honest. For me it's still early for Brawl, but I remember melee very well. We played every night in my college dorm room and my good friend Bandy always played with Zelda (Shiek most of the time). No one ever used Her, but that was the only character that he played with. He went on a 32 game winning streak in the dorms with Zelda and eventually one our end of semester Smash Off with Zelda. When I was alone I would try to play with Zelda thinking she was that good, but I was never as good with Zelda as Bandy was. At the same time, I learned how to use Marth and Link very well and I played Link probably better than anyone that I knew. So, I really think it depends on the Player, I think all characters are really equal and you have to find the one that plays better to your stengths! neo

I think it really depends on the player to be honest. For me it's still early for Brawl, but I remember melee very well. We played every night in my college dorm room and my good friend Bandy always played with Zelda (Shiek most of the time). No one ever used Her, but that was the only character that he played with. He went on a 32 game winning streak in the dorms with Zelda and eventually one our end of semester Smash Off with Zelda. When I was alone I would try to play with Zelda thinking she was that good, but I was never as good with Zelda as Bandy was. At the same time, I learned how to use Marth and Link very well and I played Link probably better than anyone that I knew. So, I really think it depends on the Player, I think all characters are really equal and you have to find the one that plays better to your stengths! neo

In Brawl, everyone MIGHT be equal.

Melee? Not a chance.

I'm going to post my Wii code too, so that I can send stages, and add friends. (I'll be home in half an hour)

EDIT: Wii Code: 7774 1419 7430 1659

SSBB Code: 3566 1208 7886

I've gotta disagree Deadpool.

While there are no definet greatest brawlers there are proven garbage ones:

Yes, I'm referring to Yoshi.

Yoshi is the handicapped Smash Bros.

I'm also not hugely fond of Snake or Olimar though.

Olimar might be the new Ness (practice=God powers), but Snake's abilities just seem weak.

Oh, and around here Donkey Kong is DEFINETLY not on the winner's list.

Though Mewtwo (Lucario) and Link are good, we see the most wins with:

Shiek, Ness & Roy (Ike).

I know you guys are going through the joygasm that's Smash Bros., but did you guys here about this 360 horror story? Pretty cool on Bungie's part, crappy on Microsoft's <_<

Hmmm... Not what I expected.

Actually, I had been following this story. I had only heard up until Bungie stepped in though, not what they had done.

Honestly I had expected them to do a new custom XBox for him.

The helmet is sweet and all...

I guess I've just gotten USED to Bungie going above and beyond for their fans. :(