UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Can Anybody Ask DST at SDCC?

Yeah, I've wondering the same lately. Worse case, if Target backs-out, I'm sure these will find another venue. They're too cool not to see production.

Hey folks...

We had a cool panel today.. Chuck pretty much said these were done...HOWEVER.... I have a VERY strong feeling we'll see at least a few of thes though other channels.

T.

Done as in, on the water and shipping or done as in Target isn't carrying them anymore?

Hey folks...

We had a cool panel today.. Chuck pretty much said these were done...HOWEVER.... I have a VERY strong feeling we'll see at least a few of thes though other channels.

T.

Done as in, on the water and shipping or done as in Target isn't carrying them anymore?

lol my bad I was thinking that 'done' was pretty vague to myself this morning... i mean't Done as in not happening.

I really should pay advice to the 'post sober rule' :)

T.

This is terrible news, I've had $25 on a Target gift card for 3 months now waiting for these. Did they give any reason as to why they are not coming out. I thought minimates sold very well at Target.

I was under the impression they didn't. The Targets in the north area of Denver all had to clearance almost the entire stock of the last wave that came out.

The Mates that came through Target almost always ended up on clearance. I picked up a ton for my son that way, a heck of a lot cheaper than I would have through a comic store.

I would have to assume the decesion boils down to one of two things: either DST wants too much for these waves (making the cost prohibitive for Target) or they don't sell, making them a loosing proposition overall for the company.

To me the strategy of going through Target never made much sense- these were all characters that were available previously, and so most collectors had bought them all already. The re-release of the X-Men box set characters being the only real exception. Sure it may have brought in a few new people, either who have no comic store locally or who had never seen the little guys before, but overall I'm just not sure who they were marketing towards. Had they released some new characters, exclusives, variants this way (say black Sipdey just for arguments sake), I think they would have sold better.

Of course, I'm not too hip on DST and their thinking in general, so I may be biased on this.

I agree that the most recent assortment of Target minimates was a bit of a let down to some of the other releases in the past. In the past, we had the harder to find characters from waves of minimates past, such as Blade and Punisher, and the Giant Size X-Men. The latest ones to hit shelves were the same characters made available in the X-Men/New Avengers 4-packs from Toys R Us as well as the release of Wave 12 and 13. Of course sales will drop for something you can find in so many places. I imagine the Spider-Man Target wave would be better for sales considering you had the exclusive characters in Web Armor Spidey, Civil War "Iron" Spidey, and Unmasked Green Goblin. Still, with so many sets going on clearance, what motivation does Target have to sell more?

Yeah, I think the lackluster sales of the last wave at Target killed the deal. A Spider-Man wave with exclusives would have sold like mad, I think. But at least they're planning on getting us these Minimates somehow.

Any chance that they showed off the Web-Armor Spider-Man?

this was posted at http://minimateheadquarters.com/

It was already shared at the Minimate Multiverse that the Target Exclusive wave will not be happening after all. Target elected to devote shelf space to another product besides Minimates for now. I know this really disappoints fans, but the good news is that Diamond Select Toys really wants to get these out to fans and they are looking at other venues or rolling them into upcoming waves. A lot of money and production costs have already been invested in these figures and DST wants to make this happen.

It sounds like we may see them as an exclusive.

If they want to roll some of them into future waves that's fine by me, with Iron Sidey and Web Armor Spidey that's two more chances to get some villains out on the marketplace, since we'll never get an all villain pack or set. Maybe that Hobgoblin that's been on that poster since forever, or Electro. Or Kraven. Or Vulture. See where this is going?

See, those are two Spider variants I'd have liked to have seen before the red and black Spidey in Wave 19. But, at the same time, given the origins of Mysterio way back in the early days of Spider-lore, an origin costume probably does match the pairing better than the once used Web Armor or the couple months of use of the Iron Spidey costume. Maybe we'll see a Iron Spidey/Modern Iron Man pairing in wave 21?

Here's my two cents about the canceled Target Spidey wave. Seeing how each 2-pack was going to consist of a new Spidey character (maskless Osbourn, Web Armor Spidey, etc) and an existing character from the recently released Spider-Man boxed set (minus Hydroman), why doesn't DST just release another boxed set consisting of the Target mates. Seems like a logical step to me. Would you guys agree?

Kinda pissed me off about finding any of the GSXM 2-packs. I only came across one pack (Storm/Cyclops) and got a good deal on an Iceman/Wolverine 2-pack on eBay (bin at 5.00 w/shipping) but I was finding no Nightcrawler/Colossus and Professor X/Dark Phoenix 2-packs. But when I do find them I have no cash (right Anacost ;) ) I would love more box sets (even though some of figures have been having problems). I think where DTS went wrong was the sets that went to Target ie Beast/Kitty Pride and Riot Spiderman (imho the worst figure ever)/Spiderwoman (a great figure) although the Wolverine/Colossus I was surprised to see on clearance. Now if they would of had series 16 on the shelves I think that would of sold out. Too bad about Target.

It would probably be best to wait till after the DST panel. I'm sure there will some sort of review by someone. I know there will some news or showings no one even knows about at their panel.

As for the Target wave, it's just not happening as TBT says. They're not going to tell us absolutely everything as to why they're not happening. All I can say is that dealings with mass market retailers change from time to time. One day they can be working with Target then be another day working with TRU. If you know minimates, TRU got out of the game a while ago then came back with the 4-packs as well as BSG in Canadian TRU. This also doesn't mean that we will not see the new mates that were destined for Target through other means because they do want to release them. We shall see how they come.

Short note on the Ghost Rider minimates is that they are still going to happen somehow.

it is sad day...I've been going to my Target each week hoping Iron Spidey would show. At least we know they will show up somehow...

Another thing to consider about the Target waves in general is that Chuck mentioned that Target asks for minimates and wants them in a very short time frame. That is why we got a lot of rehash releases. I see it as a catch-22 type thing. There's a major retailer, but no time to fully appease the normal buyers who support the wave so you get peg warmers like Invisible Woman/Thing and Beast/Kitty. Chuck and the crew need time to sculpt and get approval, but you can't tell a mass market retailer no. Yes, the rehash of older releases weren't spectacular to us who got them at the specialty market, but it was great that they were there. DST really tried to appease Target AND us with the mostly exclusive wave.

As you all know, we had the Target mail-away receipt promotion that was obviously supposed to send a message to Target. We all rallied, but it still wasn't enough (thank you DST for the freebies). Shortly afterwards, minimates were on clearance. In retrospect, it was a sign of doom. However, I really think that the exclusive Spidey wave would have sent them a really big message if they stayed on with minimates. Spider-Man sells and it has the backing of the buyers of the specialty market. It was pretty obvious to me a while ago that we weren't going to get any Target minimates during the waves of summer tent pole movie toys that are "guaranteed" sellers. I just had hope that they would arrive after the summer movies cool down, but you never know.

I don't think it was a problem of rehash so much as a flooded market. With Invisible Woman/Thing, you had characters that were part of the specialty release, but had been missing from comic shops for a while. Same with Blade/Punisher. But with Kitty Pride/Beast, you could get those at comic shops at the same time, cutting into your sales. It was even worse for some of the other sets of the time, as you could get Wolverine/Colossus at Target, comic shops, and TRU.

It could be that we see Target carrying Minimates again after the big summer marketing calms down. What we know for sure is that Target opted not to reserve space for the Minimates in order to allow room for something else right now.

I didn't get a chance to check the boards first and stepped to the mic at the end of the panel on Sunday and asked about the Target mates and got a very short and quick, "nothing through Target right now" from Chuck.

From all other accounts, in this thread, it sounds like there is a chance to see them eventually by some means. I really wanted a armored Spidey and Civil War Iron Spidey so I'll continue to cross my fingers.

(really geeking out in the panel.. first time doing any of this stuff after years of collecting... :) )