UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Cloverfield

Trekker 42

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just returned from the movie. Hated it. Hated the blair witch style camera work, hated the non-ending, and hated how the monster conveniently was always around the main characters. No matter where they want, it suddenly appeared. Really disappointed overall. Good effects, but not good enough to give it a pass in other areas it was seriously lacking.

I saw it last night, was a good movie, but NOT epic, or anything near godlike...

take Blair Witch Project Shakeyness, add alien face huggers/frenzy from transformers movie, and a giant godzilla monster, basically you get Cloverfeild...

I do agree with reideen about the monster, how was it everywhere they were? I guess its a big monster on a small island...

So i take it the whole island was nuked at the end?

Anyways that movie is screaming for sequal...

I just figured that everyone else on the island was dead, eaten, or evacuated, so the monster would generally be around or hunting any other living food sources on the island. In this case the main characters.

Remember, this thing may have come 20,000 leagues under the sea. It's hearing and eyesight is probably incredible sharp and sensitive. I believe it could have reached them since easily as the main characters made alot of noise screaming and running about. It did display intelligence when attacking the military, plus the monster only needs to take like 12 steps to cross the whole dang island.

*Spoiler*

As for the ending, I don't think they nuked the island otherwise the tape wouldn't survive. They probably just napalmed the whole thing. They never said "nuke", just "hammer down", and destroy the whole contained area with the monster in it. A nuke would mess up much more than just the island.

I just figured that everyone else on the island was dead, eaten, or evacuated, so the monster would generally be around or hunting any other living food sources on the island. In this case the main characters.

Remember, this thing may have come 20,000 leagues under the sea. It's hearing and eyesight is probably incredible sharp and sensitive. I believe it could have reached them since easily as the main characters made alot of noise screaming and running about. It did display intelligence when attacking the military, plus the monster only needs to take like 12 steps to cross the whole dang island.

*Spoiler*

As for the ending, I don't think they nuked the island otherwise the tape wouldn't survive. They probably just napalmed the whole thing. They never said "nuke", just "hammer down", and destroy the whole contained area with the monster in it. A nuke would mess up much more than just the island.

Yeah, i kinda figured that, besides why make the movie at all, if youre not gunna even see the monster...

As for the nuking, maybe i should of just said bombed... Kinda like AVP-R

That thing didn't die. It is out there. No way that anything could kill it.

BTW after seeing the movie, I have to say that Cloverfield is the best monster ever made. I like the little parasites and the whole pop like a balloon thing. Heck, tose things scared me more than codename Cloverfield himself did.

Any theories on where it came from? I think that some anti-American country made it, pointed it at NYC and said "kill". I must say, it was effective. So what's next on Cloverfield's hit list, Washington DC or Los Angeles? I personally hope LA is next. that city doesn't get blown up enough. New York takes most of the flack when it comes to films. Maybe they should make Atlanta a target.

I totally hated this movie. I seriously wanted my money back. I made the fatal mistake of buying into the hype and got burned for it.

Terrible ending, too many unanswered questions, mini monster design rip-off from Starship Troopers, lame attempts at humor, lame attempts at acting...

I enjoyed a little of the CGI work and the monster seems somewhat interesting, but I haven't left a movie so disappointed (even kinda angry) in a long time.

Terrible ending, too many unanswered questions, mini monster design rip-off from Starship Troopers, lame attempts at humor, lame attempts at acting...

Gotta agree with you on the humor thing. "Wouldn't it be so scary if a flaming homeless guy came running at us right now?"

"Are you aware of Garfield?"

I did like the tiny monsters though.

But how much of an ending can you give a camcorder vision movie? The questions are there to allow Clover to attack Atlanta or Washington or LA or some other major city. That is the point of it.

Anyone else walk out of the movie dizzy?

I see that the thing everyone hated about Clovervfield was the end. So... how would you have ended it. Remember, the only thing that can change is the ending, meaning after Rob and Beth picked the camera up when Hud died. Everything up to that part stays the same. So after Hud dies, what do they do?

I thought the ending was fitting enough. There weren't too many other ways they could have gone with it that wouldn't have made it a hacky typical Hollywood ending. As far as whether or not a Nuke was used, I was under the impression that they used a daisy cutter type bomb. In otherwords, a bomb with incredible explosive/destructive power, without the radiation associated with nuclear/atomic bombs.

MANY SPOILERS AHEAD!

My biggest gripes with the whole film came in the last five minutes of it though. First off, you have Hud dropping the camera, going back for it, and realizing he's underneath the monster. How exactly does a giant monster sneak up on you in the middle of Central Park? In the beginning of the movie the monster's footfalls were causing tremors, this time I guess he tip-toed up to Rob, Beth, and Hud.

Second gripe. Why did the monster I just mentioned who snuck up on Hud look so damn small compared to how he looked in the rest of the film? If it was the same size as previously shown it wouldn't even notice Hud. And even if it did, and ate him, there would be nothing left of that camera or Hud's corpse to come falling back to earth. Unless there's just more than one monster, which is quite possible, this scene wasn't congruous to the rest of the movie.

• 3 months later...

I HATE to bring this topic back to life, but I saw the movie finally and enjoyed it. That being said, I want that figure. Has anyone who's been at a con and seen it in person tell me how it looked, and what they know about it? Is the display base the one shown here? I'd love to get it, but how big is it? HTS says 14 inches, but is that standing up on two legs or on all fours?

I just wouldn't wanna pay $100 for for something not worth my money.

Second gripe. Why did the monster I just mentioned who snuck up on Hud look so damn small compared to how he looked in the rest of the film? If it was the same size as previously shown it wouldn't even notice Hud. And even if it did, and ate him, there would be nothing left of that camera or Hud's corpse to come falling back to earth. Unless there's just more than one monster, which is quite possible, this scene wasn't congruous to the rest of the movie.

Well i remember Hud would zoom in a lot so maybe he did'nt zoom out

Finally got to see this... Glad I didn't waste money going to the theater to see it!

It's 2 hrs of my life I wont get back... Is probably the nicest thing I can say about that movie...

It spent way too long trying to make us care about characters that I'd never care about especially as they suffered from horror movie stupidity... Lets go across town to where the monster is... not the other way... serves em right they died!

Then there's the faux ending where they expect us to think they will get away in the helicopter (No one was going to buy into that, so why waste our time?) and then it get's hit by something... they were WAY too high up to be hit by the monster so I have no idea what happened there... one of a zillion plot holes that as JP said are big enough to have their own postal code.

I can see ending it the way they did makes sense because the tape is supposed to be 'documentary evidence' but it would have made more sense to show the monster destroyed, heck even I could see it would have been better to show the camera is on it's side after they die and a cool monster in the explosion moment...at least give the audience the "defuse the bomb" that the movie really needed.

I know it was shot to be 'realistic' but come on... The camera work sucked so bad it was too dark to see anything If I wanted to watch a black screen I could have not put the DVD in! The handy cam approach has been done way more intelligently elsewhere, I hated the lets have stupid angles of peoples feet while we do some plot exposition and any movie that has to have the characters tell you what happened just after it did ( exploding girl) is really not doing it's job!

So in summary wow this sucked!!!

Ok I'll stop ranting now...

T.

I think I can explain the helicopter plot hole with a few words: long arms and dumb pilot. It seemed that when the words "confirmed hit" came over the radio, the dumbass pilot flew closer to investigate instead of just doing his job and getting the civvies out of there. Also the creature has really big f***ing arms and it seemed to have jumped and swatted them into central park.

Timbo, any reply to completely destroy my argument would be most interesting, and who knows? You may make me realize the error of my ways.

Timbo, any reply to completely destroy my argument would be most interesting, and who knows? You may make me realize the error of my ways.

I got nothing.... B)

*EDIT* I just flipped the DVD in and watched that part slowly.... get this... they were bitten by the monster... yep it jumped out of a dust cloud and hit a moving helicopter that was at least 2-3 times higher than it was (even counting a dumbass take a peep pilot) and the last thing you see is teeth!

Oh lets not forget this happened directly after the monster was crawling along as if it major pain cos it had just been bombed.

Silly silly movie!

T.

p.s. Convient how the 3 characters we've been following survive but none of the military guys do?

p.s. Convient how the 3 characters we've been following survive but none of the military guys do?

To be fair, you get that in a lot of movies. How many cops with guns are killed by the psycho that is running around, but the girl who has no weapon and runs around shrieking and flailing her arms makes it to the credits?

I do agree that there were numerous plot holes in the movie though. As big as the city is, they never seemed to be "out of the woods" with that monster. And them surviving the helicopter crash was BS, not to mention the tip-toeing monster that is taller than most buildings.

All that said, I still liked the movie, though I can't say it lived up to the hype.

I got nothing.... B)

*EDIT* I just flipped the DVD in and watched that part slowly.... get this... they were bitten by the monster... yep it jumped out of a dust cloud and hit a moving helicopter that was at least 2-3 times higher than it was (even counting a dumbass take a peep pilot) and the last thing you see is teeth!

Oh lets not forget this happened directly after the monster was crawling along as if it major pain cos it had just been bombed.

Silly silly movie!

T.

War is hell!

I have to agree that this movie SUCKED - I rented it this weekend - when those spider things started chasing people I couldnt stop laughing

Anyways if you guys missed it at the end before the credits roll it shows how the monster actually came to NY in the first place