UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Custom Minimates Project

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work JPapasso! I'm speechless. Thanks for using me as the test subject. It's top notch stuff! These cards kinda remind me of the old GI Joe and Transformers bio cards that used to appear on the back of their respective packaging. I for one like the idea of them.

Okay guys, I just got off the phone with David Schulz from America's Blood Centers and they have confirmed their involvement in the project!

The only thing that we aren't allowed to do is use the ABC logo. Mr. Schulz was apologetic about that fact but he said he would need to get individual approval from all 77 members of the Foundation for us to use it - but we are allowed to use the name so it's not really a big deal.

Great work on the customs so far guys! Everyone's really turning in stellar work! For the customizers that have finished you can mail the custom to me and I'll refund you the shipping cost (hopefully through PayPal as that'll be the easiest way for me). You can PM me and I'll give you mailing address.

I for one like the idea of them. What say you Fujis?

I think it's a great idea and the mock-up looks amazing!

Joe, the card looks amazing and we would be more than happy to have you onboard!

Thanks Fujis, Im really excited to be onboard.

I think the cards look fantastic, and I would be able to print them at my office on cardstock glossy paper for free.

Luke, that would be awesome. Ill be sure to compile them in a print ready form and send you the final copies once I can get them completed.

Nice work JPapasso! I'm speechless. Thanks for using me as the test subject. It's top notch stuff! These cards kinda remind me of the old GI Joe and Transformers bio cards that used to appear on the back of their respective packaging. I for one like the idea of them.

Mini Myte, it was a pleasure working with your images. I hope to be able to everyone's customs justice.

Now that I have more sleep under my belt, I can actually concentrate on my work, Ill go about refining the card I slapped together last night/this morning. When Im done, Ill post the result up here for all to see.

This question goes out to all participants, but I guess its focused to Luke. So far, the way I envisoned these cards is really similar to the Marvel cards. Though I present them in a single image, the cards are really front and back (front is the left side, back is the right). Would this be a good idea, or would it be better to create a single side card? Either would be just as easy for me, but Im more worried about how they would be printed out, etc.

Which ever works best for the project would be fine for me.

Joe

Ok, after talking to Fujis and Luke, I think the single sided card will work better, but I will leave the decision up to the project team.

With that being said, I took the card I made using Mini Myte's Zombie and rearranged it a bit to fit on a single side. The resulting image will be about 3x5" in size. This time I used Luke's Minotaur custom.

Keep in mind, that these will be more fleshed out in areas of information, spelling errors (after all, these were just quick mock ups :) ), the images will be of better resolution, and the final card will not have my watermark on it.

So, now the comparision... the 2 sided card vs the 1 sided card...

post-1674-1184902597_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1184902646_thumb.jpg

Are you going to be at SDCC? I could just bring my Yeti to you there and save you some postage.

I wish. I was considering it but it's just too expensive. You can help me out by checking the 'gift' box when you fill out your customs forms so I don't have to pay import tax (for those mailing from the States).

EDIT: But Jatta Pake will be there...maybe he could collect the customs and send them to me (assuming he'll have time what with 'The Hunt' and all). Are any other of the customizers headed to SDCC?

EDIT: But Jatta Pake will be there...maybe he could collect the customs and send them to me (assuming he'll have time what with 'The Hunt' and all). Are any other of the customizers headed to SDCC?

That's alright. I was trying to make less work for someone, not more work... ;)

I'll probably bring it to show the other customizers there... we'll have a little monster round-up!

Ok, after talking to Fujis and Luke, I think the single sided card will work better, but I will leave the decision up to the project team.

With that being said, I took the card I made using Mini Myte's Zombie and rearranged it a bit to fit on a single side. The resulting image will be about 3x5" in size. This time I used Luke's Minotaur custom.

Keep in mind, that these will be more fleshed out in areas of information, spelling errors (after all, these were just quick mock ups :) ), the images will be of better resolution, and the final card will not have my watermark on it.

So, now the comparision... the 2 sided card vs the 1 sided card...

I vote for the 2-sided card. Looks more authentic.

I like the detail on the double-side version (the power meter, etc.) but I'd prefer the cards to be single-sided like the old G.I. Joe cards that you could cut out of the cardback.

Ok, I dropped the Power ratings off the 1 sided card mostly because I was unsure of how to use the ratings for this project. I can put it back on, so I doubt that would be an issue, Either I will make up some ratings, or the customizer can suggest how their characters will rate. I will modify the ratings so they are not a duplicate of Marvel's Power Grid.

With this being said... will the addition of the Power ratings affect anyone's vote?? So far, if I counted right, we have 3 votes for single sided, and 2 votes for double sided.

Joe

Finally got my Minimate finished and photos taken. I now present you with... the Mad Scientist.

post-66-1185564392_thumb.jpg

The Mad Scientist is made from a repainted Minimate with decals for his face and chest details. He's wearing a custom-made lab coat that he likes to keep clean, but he's less concerned with his blood-stained shoes and gloves. On his lab coat he carries some of his favorite tools.

post-66-1185564403_thumb.jpg

The Mad Scientist comes with a selection of tools to help with his "research", and has an extra hand that comes with a brain attached.

post-66-1185564399_thumb.jpg post-66-1185564389_thumb.jpg

But what does the Mad Scientist work on? That would be ... the Experiment.

post-66-1185564407_thumb.jpg

The Experiment is made from a leftover head and torso of a 2.5" Elrond Minimate. I started painted him one night thinking I could make him into some sort of autopsy victim and instead arrived with what you see. His life support system is made from some C3 parts and pieces from a Hello Kitty candy container. I filled with dome with a fake-water gel used in flower arranging for a submerged effect and was happy that the bubbles formed all by themselves. The combination of the dome and gel create a distortion when you look at him, so the body looks bigger and distorted. Didn't expect that to happen, but thought it was a neat effect.

post-66-1185564375_thumb.jpg post-66-1185564380_thumb.jpg post-66-1185564384_thumb.jpg

post-66-1185564418_thumb.jpg

:blink:

Simply amazing!

Here here!

If half of the customs for this project come out as nice as the few I have seen, Im certian the Trading cards Im working on will be Top-Notch! Speaking of which... once Im finished with my current project (which should be in a few hours), Ill upload my most recent one sided Trading card... right now its still in its .PSD form and I dont have the resources on my computer to open another large file right this second.

Joe