UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Custom Minimates Project

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THanks for the kind words, everyone.

Boyd: yep, I couldn't decide whether I wanted a scowl or a roar, so I made both. Same head, though, just on either side.

Also, compliments all around to the other customizers. I was just looking back through the thread, and there's some really amazing work here. I hope someone here starts getting calls from DST to do freelance work... :)

Okay, I think Lobsterman's Yeti is the last custom to be created which means that the first phase of the project is complete! Well done everyone!

Now, as for eBay I did mention that listing them in pairs would be best but now I'm wondering if listing them separately is a better way to go. Single figures tend to sell for more on average than 2-packs or lots and I want to make sure we make a substantial contribution to ABC. That being said I also don't want to overwhelm eBay with 16 custom Minimate auctions and the listing price of 16 auctions over 8 will be more of course.

Thoughts?

I don't sell a lot of stuff on ebay... does it cost extra to set up a store? Is there some other easy way to cross-link all of the auctions to get maximum traffic to all of the customs?

Also, is there any chance we can get banner ads placed on some of the toy sites with lots of minimate fans – perhaps even stores like Stuckakid – to drive traffic? Would we need to get approval from ebay for something like that?

I don't sell a lot of stuff on ebay... does it cost extra to set up a store? Is there some other easy way to cross-link all of the auctions to get maximum traffic to all of the customs?

Also, is there any chance we can get banner ads placed on some of the toy sites with lots of minimate fans – perhaps even stores like Stuckakid – to drive traffic? Would we need to get approval from ebay for something like that?

The auctions will all be linked to my account and people will be able to see them all if they click the "view sellers other items" button or do a search using my name. I will also be linking back to this thread (so I can save some money on adding pics to each auction) and linking from the HQ as well.

I'm not sure about listing on other sites though. It'll be easy enough to post links on other toy forums like RTM and TNI though.

Like Lobsterman stated, how about having a banner that members can place on other websites that they belong to, Like Myspace, Facebook, Deviantart, once there is a link to the Auction of course?

Might be a good way to get the word out to more people.

I can come up with something while I am at work today.....

Like Lobsterman stated, how about having a banner that members can place on other websites that they belong to, Like Myspace, Facebook, Deviantart, once there is a link to the Auction of course? Might be a good way to get the word out to more people. I can come up with something while I am at work today.....

That sounds great! It might be cool to have both a banner and a button - can you make both? The button could be Shamrock 's logo and the banner could have some pics of the customs maybe? We can't use the ABC logo though.

I was thinking of just using the logo that was created within the thread and seeing what I could come up with.

I might even be able to do it in Flash, if i can remember how to use flash....lol

But I will definitely at the very least make some static ones

So I am really new to this site and it is amazing what you all have done!!! These customs are incredible and the fact that you are sending the proceeds to charity. That is awesome!! I hope that next time you do one of these I will be quicker to notice so I can try my hand. You guys rock.

I was thinking of just using the logo that was created within the thread and seeing what I could come up with.

I might even be able to do it in Flash, if i can remember how to use flash....lol

But I will definitely at the very least make some static ones

If you are working in flash I can get you the originals made in Illustrator if you need them.

Hey Lobsterman...hands down my favorite of the bunch, I'd really like to get a closer look at the faces(I think I prefer the scowl ) excellent detail on this Yeti!

I guess you better get bidding, then.

I keed, I keed. :)

Here are the original illustrations for the faces. I kind of prefer the scowl, too.

yetiface.jpg

Thanks for the compliment, Nervous. I like your vampire quite a bit, too. Are those wings original sculpts? Pretty slick.

Here are the original illustrations for the faces. I kind of prefer the scowl, too.

Holy! Those faces look amazing up close! Did you make them in Illustrator?

Going back to how we are going to sell these customs - are people comfortable with them being sold individually or should we stick with pairs?

And this might be a little premature but since this project has been successful so far (and hopefully will continue to be through the auction phase) I wanted to make a suggestion for the next Charitymates project, which could take place later this year or early next.

Seeing as global warming is such an important issue I thought we could create animal-based Minimates with special powers. Kind of like Bearriors meets Captain Planet. The charity that we support could be one that reduces our carbon footprint, like Carbon Fund, or we could buy some acres in the Amazon rainforest...or something like that.

Thoughts?

Going back to how we are going to sell these customs - are people comfortable with them being sold individually or should we stick with pairs?

And this might be a little premature but since this project has been successful so far (and hopefully will continue to be through the auction phase) I wanted to make a suggestion for the next Charitymates project, which could take place later this year or early next.

Seeing as global warming is such an important issue I thought we could create animal-based Minimates with special powers. Kind of like Bearriors meets Captain Planet. The charity that we support could be one that reduces our carbon footprint, like Carbon Fund, or we could buy some acres in the Amazon rainforest...or something like that.

Thoughts?

After seeing the amazing quality of all the minimates, I think they would be successful as individual auctions or pairs.

That's a good idea for the next project. I don't even think they would necessarily have to be based on animals, as long as they had environmentally-supportive powers.

I love the enviro-themed idea. I'm concerned that animal characters either 1) won't work with the block-shaped head very well or 2) would require entirely original headsculpts (see also, Kellogg's mates)

I kind of like the pairs idea; it makes sense based on the way people normally buy minimates, and will get you more bang for your bid.