UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Graham's Customs.

Graham

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham, Graham, Graham...

I absolutely love those New Frontier figures... They're a great idea that's beautifully executed. Bravo.

Also, Darkseid... He's kinda the shit! I love the way that figure looks. Kudos!

Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm glad you like them. I know the DCNF pic is a bit blurry so I'll try to post up some better quality pics sometime. I'm currently working on adding Wonder Woman, Green Arrow and Aquaman to the team. Any other suggestions for characters from the comic to include?

Definately, do a John Henry... I'm hoping that DCD will do a third wave of NF figures and include him... Maybe a Black Canary too...

• 2 months later...

Sorry it's been a while, but I seem to have a load of projects on the go for ages, then finish them all off at once. First up my third or fourth version of Martian Manhunter. I re-used the head from my original, along with an Ocean Master cloak, Deathstroke boots and a lot more neatly painted body and legs. Here he is with his Justice League buddies.

JusticeLeague3.jpg

I've been working on these customs for a while now, but my take on the Outsiders is finally complete. In the first picture we have Captain Boomerang (with sculpted coat and modified hair) and Katana (with sculpted mask, skirt and swords modified from LEGO ninja swords; the arms are painted over Firestar's). Next along Metamorpho, who has no extra parts, and Grace Choi and Nightwing, already seen earlier.

Outsiders1.jpg

Just for fun, a pic of the Outsiders as they appeared in Countdown (almost, I know Manhunter isn't in his OYL appearance).

Outsiders2.jpg

Beautiful work Graham. Absolutely stunning. I love the re-use of OM's cloak and DS's boots on J'onn. And those Outsiders would make an awesome boxed set. Hey DCD... you guys listening. We want a Grace MM.. ah hell, we want all the Outsiders.

man those are awsome how long did it take you to make ultimate iron man???

Thanks, it took probably 2-3 hours to paint in all, about 20 mins to sculpt the mask. Red takes longer to paint because you have to do more layers to get a brighter colour. Speaking of which, here's another Iron Man I forgot to post yesterday. It's based on the existing Iron Man, with armour from a BSG Cylon cut down, with the little ring on the front sculpted on. The gauntlets are from Wonder Woman and the boots from Steel. The mask isn't sculpted this time, just painted on. Also note Cap in the background, looking a lot cooler thanks to Sentry's face and Flash's boots.

S1030989.jpg

I've also had it pointed out that I forgot Thunder from the Outsiders so that's who I'm on with next.

Well, here's Thunder, probably one of the fastest paintings of a Minimate I've ever done. I started off using Kitty Pryde's chest, then the arm pin snapped off so it's practically all painted from scratch. The only exception is the face, which I painted around the eyes and mouth of New X-men Jean Grey. The hair is from that Thing hairpiece that everyone (me included) seems to hate.

ThunderOutsiders.jpg

Next up I decided to really push my painting (and Photoshopping for the background) abilities. There's a thread in the DC forum about the pros and cons of Smallville 'mates, so I decided to see if the look would translate. This is what I came up with...

SmallvilleJusticeLeague.jpg

First up, Boy Scout (or Clark Kent to the rest of us) uses Luke Cage's jacket and fully sculpted hair. He originally had Power Girl's hair painted black but it didn't quite work. His belt and pants are from Flash, althugh they were quite heavily painted over.

SmallvilleBoyScout.jpg

The team leader, Green Arrow. He has the pistol from Punisher (as his grappling gun). The bow is made from a Lego lightsabre with two Lego battle droid arms and a bit of string, with a Minimate hand stuck to it. The quiver is 2 Lego quivers stuck together. The glasses are from Blade, with the hood sculpted over the top.

SmallvilleGreenArrow.jpg

Impulse, the team's speedster, has entirely sculpted hood (folded down at the back), hair and glasses.

SmallvilleImpulse.jpg

Finally Cyborg has a sculpted hood similar to Impulse's and the belt from Bullseye. His eye doesn't really glow, that's just computer trickery ;) Aquaman has hair modified from Sandman's and Punisher's knife.

SmallvilleAquamanandCyborg.jpg

Other than that, they're all standard Minimate bodies, entirely painted over. I'm quite pleased with the balance between realistic look and Minimate styling, but comments and criticism are welcome as always.

Cool pictures, and great customs. Could we have some shots of the Smallville Justice League from the back (especially for Cyborg and Impulse), or just some plain ol' photos without backgrounds and odd angles?

Otherwise, great stuff. What do you use to paint with (ie. both paints and brushes)?

Also, are the hoods/hair pieces detachable? If so, how do you sculpt them (and what with)?

Cool pictures, and great customs. Could we have some shots of the Smallville Justice League from the back (especially for Cyborg and Impulse), or just some plain ol' photos without backgrounds and odd angles?

Otherwise, great stuff. What do you use to paint with (ie. both paints and brushes)?

Also, are the hoods/hair pieces detachable? If so, how do you sculpt them (and what with)?

I use paints from Games Workshop, I think they're called Citadel Paints. For brushes I use artists brushes, very fine down to 10/0 size. Green Arrow's and Aquaman's hair are detachable, the rest aren't. When I want to do sculpted detachable hair I either do it on top of an existing hairpiece or use a trickier method. Put cling film over the head of the Minimate you're working on, then sculpt all over the top of that(I use green stuff for sculpting). After it's dry the cling film should peel off leaving you with a separate hairpiece.

Okay guys, here's your close-ups, and you'd better enjoy them because I nearly killed my computer playing around with image files that big on Publisher :lol: Green Arrow first, the hood is removable (with a little difficulty) as he has a full face painted underneath. Until I can find something better I'm using Deathstroke's hair painted yellow.

SmallvilleGreenArrow2.jpg

Here's the rest of the gang, complete with hoods on the back.

SmallvilleJusticeLeagueFrontBack.jpg

I use paints from Games Workshop, I think they're called Citadel Paints. For brushes I use artists brushes, very fine down to 10/0 size. Green Arrow's and Aquaman's hair are detachable, the rest aren't. When I want to do sculpted detachable hair I either do it on top of an existing hairpiece or use a trickier method. Put cling film over the head of the Minimate you're working on, then sculpt all over the top of that(I use green stuff for sculpting). After it's dry the cling film should peel off leaving you with a separate hairpiece.

Ah.

See, I'm stuck with acrylics and non-firing clay, so it's not wonder your paints dry thinner (and smoother) than mine. Generally I try and create a "mask" out of paper for the heads when sculpting hair pieces, but I'll try cling film next time. Alas, and alack, I guess my customs shall never be that great until I get proper customising stuff... I just don't want to fire things.

Next up I decided to really push my painting (and Photoshopping for the background) abilities. There's a thread in the DC forum about the pros and cons of Smallville 'mates, so I decided to see if the look would translate. This is what I came up with...

SmallvilleJusticeLeague.jpg

Excellent, I mean Excellent paint aps, and sculpting. I love the group shot, very nice style. I will probably steal the idea for your green arrow bow :whistling:

I think Clark, and Green Arrow are my favorites of the newest bunch 'o mates