UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 1 DC minimates are here!!

highassroller

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Does anyone have a good suggestion of where online I can order a set of DC wave 1? Stuckakid seems to be out of stock. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated, thanks!

My LCS did not order any, that's why I'm behind :-(

http://www.youbuynow.com/category/Minimates_DC Just listed as in stock, ready to ship. Sorry XY, this guy and I go back a ways. (wave 6 maybe?)

Jeez, 8 pounds a 2-pack in the UK.. ouch.

The battle lines on redoing the C3 minimates seem to be drawn between those who bought them and those who didn't. I'm not advocating they drop everything and pump out the entire C3 line-up right away... but they should definetely continue to mix them in like they have been so far. If some of the costumes end up different, so be it.. if the line sells well they can eventually get to them all anyway.

But not having The Flash, their 5th or 6th most iconic character amidst the first 40 minimates made is a mistake IMO. Of course, I'm wiling to admit if the sales of these end up strong, holding him to the 2nd round of figures could work in their favor.

Drgbn's review pretty much covers everything I could say. These DC minis are pretty cool. I'm still not too sure about the new head/masks (like Batman)...I like the old masks better, but I guess they look ok. My only other gripe is that Star Sapphire looks like Miss Piggy to me. They need a sculpt that is different than the males, paint apps don't seem to really do it. Probably a sculpt with a waist that is a bit thinner would do the trick. But they've been making the female characters this way from the start, so nothing new there.

Well, just a few seconds ago I recieved a nice shoe box from Stuckakid, inside was enough minimate crack to last me......at least until Wave 2.

Before I give my thoughts, allow me a shamless plug. I've never used Stuckakid previously to this year. However, last year I decided that I would stop buying from my local comic store for several reasons. The main 2 were they are overpriced and I always spend more money that I need to, lol. Anyway, what can I say about Stuckakid? If there was a minimate equal to web stores, Stuckakid would be it. They are small, inexpensive, and practical, but they are the best around. I don't know if I could express just how satisfied I am with Stuckakid, but I will tell you that I will never buy from another online store again. Thanks

Now, back to the topic at hand. I really love the Minis. I'm still at work so I haven't had a chance to really disect them, but from what I've seen so far they are awesome. I was trying to think of which one is my favorite, but I can't because they are all awesome..........ok, well 7 our of 8 isn't bad. Star Saphire, why must you haunt me. The only thing keeping this from being a perfect 1st wave is the horrible, Rosie O'Donnel in costume Saphire. Psychopanda hit it on the head, she looks like dang Miss Piggy. I would have prefered a 2-pack with Sinestro or Specter or Parallex, but alas I guess too much of a good thing could be bad.....couldn't it? I guess we'll never know. In the end though, DC Wave 1 is worth every penny and it has completely restored my faith in Minimates. DC has officially set the bar, now lets see if Diamond can keep up. neo

Well,

I have heard everyone's feedback, and I will say this. The mates are hot, but the packaging is wack. First off, blisters are not my favorite anyway, but the cool ass boxes the marvel mates come in are way better. What the hell is that stupid starburst background? I think the packaging is corny. I admittedly have not opened my DC mates yet, my brother has, and they are super tight.

Some love with some hate...

WW4M

Interesting that you mention the starburst, because Marvel featured a very similar starburst on their boxes up until waves 12 and 13.

As far as the DC packaging goes, I'm on the fence. On the one hand, the Marvel boxes are easier to bundle and stack for displays, etc. Plus, the display box is nice. On the other hand, with the blister card, you see what you're getting. How many people were surprised when they opened their Ghost Rider/Daredevil 2-pack and saw that Ghost Rider didn't have the chain belt he was pictured with? Plus, how many complaints have we seen where people buy the Marvel sets, only to discover different characters than those that were pictured, or worse, no figures at all.

While I think the design of the packaging could use improvement, I'm not down on the blister card itself. If you look at the numbers, with the exception of Marvel waves 4 onward, all minimates have featured some sort of window. C3? Window on the box. LotR? Window on the box. Street Fighter? Blister. Speed Racer? Blister. BSG? Blister. Cylons? Window on the box. Love 'em or hate 'em, the numbers don't lie. Seeing into the package is a desireable business step.

Just went to the comic store and they were already sold out of Harley Quin and Joker :verymad:

But I did pick up the rest of them.

I bought the last Bat-Man so I thought it was a chase set that somehow everyone missed. It happened before, (remembers my Invisible Woman)

But now I see the that is not the case. I was a present surpirse to find out that Batman's mask came off. Was not expecting that by looking at the package. Much better then the way C3 did the Batman masks.

I just received mine today from Big Bad Toy Store, and my addiction has been reaffirmed. They're incredible. I don't wanna have to wait until April to complete my big three!

Anyway, my favorites are impossible to pick, but my least favorite is, without a doubt, Star Sapphire. She just doesn't work that well as a Minimate.

With the way that she was executed, it makes me worry for the Huntress. Her mask is similar. Do you think they'll try another hair-and-mask-as-one-piece deal if they make her?

To counter Lukes point..

I got mine on Monday and am not as impressed. I had a GL with a bad paint job on the torso and Harley's knees were broken out of the package.

The newer softer plastic is fine for the most part BUT it seems the knee pins are too soft, about 50% of my DC mates feel like the knees will either get loose or break if they are played with too much.

To counter my point..

I love these, the accessories rock and the attention to detail is very very cool, things like faces under masks and extra hair are winners in my book. All I need to do now is find space to display them :)

T.

Dude that sucks, my Joker is one legged heh

So did you get a replacement Harley? or did you glue her back?

It's one of the benefits of buying by the case... I had 'backup's' for display and she's now living in my parts bin.

T.

Guys, have any of you tried taking your broken mates back to your LCS to try for a replacement? I'm at work so I can't look right now, but is there any kind of CS details on the packaging for the DC direct stuff?

Is it the knee pin that broke on your Harley or was it part of the upper or lower leg? It seems like all the Knee pins are molded out of white plastic and the visible ends are painted to match the leg. Was the pin painted to the figure, thus not allowing it to turn resulting in it breaking?

Is it the knee pin that broke on your Harley or was it part of the upper or lower leg? It seems like all the Knee pins are molded out of white plastic and the visible ends are painted to match the leg. Was the pin painted to the figure, thus not allowing it to turn resulting in it breaking?

Mine was oddly the part of the lower leg that wraps around the peg, the plastic is jsut too soft.

As for taking back to the local store, I bought mine online, and it's not worth the cost or the return shipping to get an exchange.

T.

I got my set from the great folks at Stuckakid, the best e-tailer on the web! (how is that for butt kissing? :P )

My Harley was in the package backwards and her left knee broke straight out of the pack. The Joker is in great shape though. He almost seems to be a better quality plastic.

I don't plan to send her back, but will drop a note to DCD. Its a disappointment for sure.

Changing the subject slightly... How farking cool is Batman? I was one of the haters of the full face mask but in the flesh (or rather plastic) it works perfectly. Easily my fave of the wave. Star Sapphire seems to be universally derided and rightly so, it's not just the Jackie Onassis hair and Mask combo, it's the cleavage that sits higher than the boobage too. It's just not cricket. In the middle is Harley. She's just not quite right. Excellent detail to the costume but the headpiece makes her look like she's eaten far too many pies. I think it's the black part of the mask that runs under her chin that does it. A great shame, but it's still a half good mate.

UPDATE: The folks at Stuckakid have responded to my predicament and have sent me a replacement Harley. Thats what I call customer service. Thanks guys!

1. I love Stuckakid. (and yes I would marry it if I were not already married).

2. These figures are great. Not crazy about Star Saphire... I am an avid comic reader and I don't even know who in the world she is.

3. Packaging. Though I do like the Marvel boxes better, it is good to see the characters in the blisters since you can actually see the shape of the character as well as all of their accessories. Such as the Bruce Wayne hair. I knew his mask came off as soon as I saw that he came with hair.

Overall some good characters, and some great characters. I still think the best is yet to come.

UPDATE: The folks at Stuckakid have responded to my predicament and have sent me a replacement Harley. Thats what I call customer service. Thanks guys!

Good on you Shane, Kid are great with that sort of thing.... Course I should have mentioned that's where I got mine from :P

T.