UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 1 DC minimates are here!!

highassroller

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually, it seems the East Coast gets the Marvel line a week after the West, so I'm assuming its an all over thing.

Green Lantern

Again, superb paint apps. And again, something just feels a little off about the bottom of the shorts. Chest details wrap around to the back of the figure, so the attention to detail on this line is great. The hair piece is the same as the one used for Superman in this wave. The Green Lantern accessory is great, and can be held by the figure. Based on what we've seen in the protos, all the Green Lanterns will be carrying this accessory, so I imagine some of us will be picking up an extra set just so John Stewart has his lantern too. Now, there were a couple things to make note of with this figure. One, the face seems to be just a slight bit too low. This could be so that the mask wouldn't be obstructed by the little lock of hair hanging down, but it makes the figure seem to have a large forehead. Again, I'm not familiar with the character, so it could be he does just have a big forehead. Second, the ring. Since John Stewart was a simple blank repainted, I can understand his ring, but with a Kingpin hand featuring a ring, why didn't Hal Jordan come with this hand instead of a white hand with a tiny green dot? That oversight affects my overall opinion of the figure, but not by much. Still, overall, a great figure.

4.5 rings out of 5

Star Sapphire

Paint apps are decent on this one, though again something just seems off about the painted shorts. This time, it is featured around the top of the painted on gloves too. The paint apps are also a bit sloppy for the white belt and around the pink "tiara". Also, I have a slight gripe in the chest detail. If not for the lipstick and hair, there's hardly anything to distinguish this figure as female. Still, the hair piece is a new sculpt with a mask that covers the eyes and not the whole face as seen in the protos. Underneath is another simple, yet effective face, which seems to be the way to go for female minimates. Dispite the paint details, my real gripe with this figure is the collar. While its good to get the collar, the way it was implemented comes off as awkward, as it shows some exposed cleavage, yet it rests slightly above the top of the torso. I think if it had been cast of thinner plastic or just not tried to wrap down the front of the figure, it would have come across better. Overall, a pretty good figure, but a little bit of a let down from the rest of the line so far.

3.5 stars out of 5

Finally:

Joker

Superb paint apps on this one. The pinstripe paints feature paint apps all the way around the legs and waist, though it looks the details on the sides of the legs look like they stopped a little short of the top of the leg. The details on the chest torso are also excellent, giving the figure a layered look. The face is perfect and the paint around the hat seems great. The hat and gun are new sculpts, with Joker's coat being a reuse of the Assault Punisher coat and the cane being a remnant of the C3 Joker. The only thing off about this figure is the gun. It seems like the sculpted it slightly larger than they should have, making it look a little awkward in Joker's hands. Also, a hairpiece to replace the hat would have been a nice addition. However, overall, another great figure.

4.5 playing cards out of 5

Harley Quinn

Excellent paint apps! The details on the chest and legs wrap around the figure and the mask looks very good. Underneath the mask is a beautiful face, again kept simple for most effectiveness. And accessories is where this two-pack shines. Harley comes with a rather large mallet that fits the hands quite well, as well as a reuse of the Batgirl hairpiece from the C3 line. Interestingly enough, her shoes are new sculpts, a la Lex Luthor's boots. She also features small removeable cuffs on her wrists. If not for a little splotchiness on her right side (hardly noticeable, since its under her arm) I would say she's the best figure of the wave. Overall, excellent work on this one.

5 oversized mallets out of 5

My overall impression with DC Wave 1 is highly pleased. The new sculpts, high attention to detail, and excellent variation of characters makes for some serious competition for the Marvel line. Despite needing a little work on some of the detail lines, these figures are far superior to anything we've seen from the AA/DST collaboration for the past few years.

Overall: 5 dark knights out of 5

Links to pictures. Beware, the images are super-sized.

Back of pack

http://www.minimateheadquarters.com/blogpi...y/dcmate001.jpg

Back of pack 2 (without my camera flash reflect)

http://www.minimateheadquarters.com/blogpi...y/dcmate002.jpg

Inside back of packaging. Notice the twisty ties.

http://www.minimateheadquarters.com/blogpi...y/dcmate003.jpg

Lex broke free! Watch out Overlord! There's a new kid on the playground. (I've been most looking forward to Lex).

http://www.minimateheadquarters.com/blogpi...y/dcmate004.jpg

Harley's hidden hair tucked into the lower right!

http://www.minimateheadquarters.com/blogpi...y/dcmate006.jpg

More to come this afternoon! Stay tuned to the best forum on the web!!!!!

Some great reviews there drgnrbrn, thanks for those :)

Thanks. I hope I wasn't stepping on your coat tails or anything by doing that. We all look to you for the official review, but I had fun doing those nonetheless.

I still can't believe my entire Superman right leg snapped off, I hope this was a fluke, but I have a feeling that it is not. I open my minimates with great care and patience.

My guess is that most of the things like the occassional sloppy paint app, tampos being slightly off, and weakened parts are just kinks in a new line and a fluke at best. I had no trouble with any of the joints on mine, and the pinstripes on Joker's legs just looked like the leg had been a little too high when they tampoed it.

I got mine for 8 a pop (same as the marvels) but LCS was running really late, and opened up the box in the back, and brought out my 4 just for me, before they even went out!

Here are some things I noticed:

Batman's cowl is the same mold from the c3 batgirl, or at least I think so.

Harley Quinn's civil hair is the same as c3 batgirls.

Batman's cape is the same as the c3 one BUT it does not detach.

All the figures look great and I have had no problems with breakage.

The only paint issue I can see is on Harley and it is just some smudging. But the paint apps are really just out of this world good!

i was at the cbs when opened and the 2 packs did not come in a box like the marvels just in a brown box i got mine for 5.50 a pack and omacs legs suck they look like childbering hips other than that all mine are so tight its not funny plus not to spoil it but joker comes with a big ass gun that has a bang flag hanging from it

I guess pricing varies from shop to shop on these things, but I got mine at $7.99 a pack. Is there an official MSRP for these things? I thought it was $6.99 for some reason but maybe it's just my wishful thinking. If I paid a higher price, it's possibly because of no variant and/or that's the same price of the recent Marvel minimate stuff there and/or they know I'm a sucker for these things. :biggrin:

I picked up my case today and love how they look.

That mallet goes great with Joker and hearkens back to the Super Powers Joker that came with a big hammer.

While I like the Hal Jordan hairpeice that comes with, I used my Bruce Banner minus glasses peice and like it soooo much more.

Green Lantern Hal Jordan is my favorite!

I got to my LCS waaaaay early, and they were already out. There are two "sadly"s to this story, though... sadly, without a job, I could really only afford 2 packs with my limited funds and weeks of comics I was catching up on. And, sadly, they only had one of each pack. Fortunately, I was there early enough that I got the first picks...

It wasn't a terribly easy decision, but considering I wanted 2 heroes, and that I didn't want Batman without Joker, I got the Superman/Luthor and GL/SS packs. It turned out to be kind of poetic, really, since back in the days of the Super Powers line, Superman and Green Lantern were the only two figures from that whole line I ever got my hands on.

Superman's absolutely amazing. No question about it at all. The likeness is perfect, much better than the animated version from the C3 line with his goofy grin. Green Lantern is spot on, as far as I'm concerned, too. Star Sapphire's only alright, but she's a female antagonist which is really a rarity in Minimates in general. The real winner of the bunch, to me, though, is Lex Luthor. Absolutely the coolest Minimate I've owned, even after Nightcrawler, Morrigan, Captain America, Rogue and scores of other Marvel releases and one wave of Street Fighter on top of that. Lex is king, and I look forward to assembling a suitable roster of DC baddies for him to lead.

For now, though, I'm looking forward to Wave 2 and adding Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Power Girl and Dr. Fate to make a suitable mini Justice League. And, after reading Jeff Smith's Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil today, I really want that Captain Marvel minimate!!

I found them today at my comic shop, after a mad rush to get there before they closed I found them at $10.00 a piece so I didn't get any of them sadly.

lets get a tally on the GIMPED up mates

I just got mine and was doing the normal break test on all the knees and elbow joints

i agree this plastic is weaker then previous and I HOPE marvels dont use it

anyways these dcs feel like their major loosness is at the knees so much that my fn joker is now one legged

other then that I love these guys but im also afraid to do further movement at the knee everyone else did ok but I swear some of em have that not so tight feeling