UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 1 DC minimates are here!!

highassroller

Wow, folks, I was lucky enough to nab all 4 of these DC Wave 1 beauties yesterday afternoon from my supplier friend. Here is my quick review of the figures.

Lex Luthor is only a 2 inch minimate YES!

Accessories rock and are plenty

Omac's color is now a translucent blue and he has interchangable hands

Paint apps are great

Frontal box art is bland

Harley comes with a hair peice and a new civilian face

Joker does not come with a hairpeice, only a hat

The plastic seems cheaper. My superman leg snaped in half instantly after purchase

GREAT NEW CUSTOM PARTS!!!!

I also noticed that these are a whole .50 cheaper than Marvel Minimates.

DC wins this round hands down.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The plastic seems cheaper. My superman leg snaped in half instantly after purchase

GREAT NEW CUSTOM PARTS!!!!

I also noticed that these are a whole .50 cheaper than Marvel Minimates.

DC wins this round hands down.

And demons continue to haunt us. :angry:

Thanks for the update HAS. Can't wait to get mine soon.

Would you say the plastic seems cheaper than the C3 minimates, or just the Marvel ones?

I actually think that they are the same plastic as the target minimates they have been selling. It's basically a softer plastic so be careful when bending the joints, especially those damn knees.

I think the previous C3 plastic was great, never had an issue.

I hope Bane will still come out to be 2.5

More snapping legs!?!? damn. I really hoped these would be a step up in quality. It's fine for me but with 9 nieces and nephews collecting and actually playing with minimates I can tell there will be many tears coming soon. The target thing was a mess and I gave up on driving around trying to get replacements for everyone after 3 different nightcrawlers snapped (and a phoenix). We've been waiting for a year for DC (as most of the kids are big justice league fans) and I really hoped it would be worth the wait with an all new level of quality. I really hope that leg snap was a fluke..

Vox :(

HOW DOES Green Lantern look? How's the lantern accessory? Any extras in his box?

So I take it that Wave2 pack DIDNT ship?

That's what it sounds like. HAS needs to tell his boss that there are collectors jonesing for news and he has to jump back on the forums for a few hours.. :P

I guess most of us will know for sure within the next couple of hours.

Nah, I'd say Wave 2 is probably still in line for a March release.

I got my set today at the LCS. They charged me $7 a pop, though I can't say one way or another if this is standard, below average, above average, etc. Considering its the first minimate set they've had in there for over a year, I'd have probably paid double, especially seeing as it was something new.

I've only opened Batman/OMAC so far, and I'm fairly impressed. Can't post pictures, as I'm at work myself, but I'll give some details as I get my hands on these.

Batman

Paint apps appear to be above par, though the bottom of Batman's blue "shorts" seems a little sloppy. Bats' gloves and cape are part reuses from the old C3 line, and its hard to say about the belt and hairpiece (I think its the hairpiece from the Batcave Bruce Wayne, but I'm not positive. What is new is the mask. Bruce features a happier face under the mask. Also, the Batcuffs seem pretty neat. They're cast from a fairly flexible plastic, so you don't have to worry about snapping any arms off when trying to put them on a figure. I think they'd have been a bit better if the holes were just slightly farther apart though, as they only seem to fit when the captured figure holds their arms straight out in front of them. Overall, I'm really impressed with the figure.

5 batarangs out of 5

OMAC

Paint apps are superb, with extensive detail in the chest and the red "eye". Turns out OMAC is translucent blue with matching mask and hands. The "mask" is removeable to reveal a blank translucent blue head. It also features a huge fin down the back of the mask. The special hands are pretty interesting, though I think they should have left a little more room in the package for the long straight one, as mine seems to be permanently slightly curved. The legs are something new, with the extended hip area, which doesn't seem to hinder the leg movement as much as I had thought it would. As stated above, OMAC comes with a regular pair of hands. Overall, I'm equally impressed with this figure, though truth be told, I have no knowledge of the character it is based off of.

5 robots out of 5

Nah, I'd say Wave 2 is probably still in line for a March release.

I got my set today at the LCS. They charged me $7 a pop, though I can't say one way or another if this is standard, below average, above average, etc. Considering its the first minimate set they've had in there for over a year, I'd have probably paid double, especially seeing as it was something new.

I've only opened Batman/OMAC so far, and I'm fairly impressed. Can't post pictures, as I'm at work myself, but I'll give some details as I get my hands on these.

Batman

Paint apps appear to be above par, though the bottom of Batman's blue "shorts" seems a little sloppy. Bats' gloves and cape are part reuses from the old C3 line, and its hard to say about the belt and hairpiece (I think its the hairpiece from the Batcave Bruce Wayne, but I'm not positive. What is new is the mask. Bruce features a happier face under the mask. Also, the Batcuffs seem pretty neat. They're cast from a fairly flexible plastic, so you don't have to worry about snapping any arms off when trying to put them on a figure. I think they'd have been a bit better if the holes were just slightly farther apart though, as they only seem to fit when the captured figure holds their arms straight out in front of them. Overall, I'm really impressed with the figure.

5 batarangs out of 5

OMAC

Paint apps are superb, with extensive detail in the chest and the red "eye". Turns out OMAC is translucent blue with matching mask and hands. The "mask" is removeable to reveal a blank translucent blue head. It also features a huge fin down the back of the mask. The special hands are pretty interesting, though I think they should have left a little more room in the package for the long straight one, as mine seems to be permanently slightly curved. The legs are something new, with the extended hip area, which doesn't seem to hinder the leg movement as much as I had thought it would. As stated above, OMAC comes with a regular pair of hands. Overall, I'm equally impressed with this figure, though truth be told, I have no knowledge of the character it is based off of.

5 robots out of 5

open more and tell more!!!! please i wont get mine for at least 2 days

Hey guys, this just in from Stuckakid:

Hello Chris!

Thanks for writing in, as well as, the compliments! :D

We have been notified that our order of the DC MiniMates Series 1 is on

it's way to us and are currently researching the exact date of delivery.

Once we have confirmation on when the shipment will be received we will

be notifying all Pre-Orders through the system of the status and

charging credit cards.

More than likely, we will have the shipment in hand this week. Your

order (thanks so much) will be shipping out moments after our delivery

hits our warehouse floor. Give us just enough time to wrap it up and

it'll be on it's way. ;)

Thank you again very much for your Pre-Orders and also your order you

just placed today. Stay tuned for updates on these and please let us

know if there is anything we can do for you!

Sincerely,

Jason.

So, there you have it. Seems like they may get the sets this week......now I just have to wait on shipping :(. neo

Sorry, don't know if they come in similar mass packaging like the Marvel line. They weren't displayed anywhere when I walked into the store, but were handed to me when I inquired about them.

Also, so far I haven't run into any stiff joints or other defects outside of some slightly sloppy lines as defined on Batman. The plastic does feel a little different, though I wouldn't say it was better or worse than what we've already gotten before.

Opened another one: Superman/Lex Luthor

Superman

Paint apps look nice on this one too, though the bottom of the red shorts seem about the same as Batman's. I wouldn't say it looks sloppy, it just looks a little off. Hard to explain without pictures, but at first glance they seem fine. You'll still be impressed. Supes looks to feature a new sculpt of hair, cape, and belt. The chest detail is amazing, as are the details around the boots. Yes, Supes is the first in a long line of minimates to feature the highlight line all the way around the leg as opposed to just the front (see Spider-Woman). I was surprised to find a Superman emblem applied expertly on the back of the cape as well. Overall, the best of the wave (so far).

5 speeding bullets out of 5

Lex Luthor

As stated before, Lex is a 2" minimate, though its hard to tell with all the bulk placed on him. Surprisingly, removing the massive armor revealed a fully painted chest underneath, with detail lines wrapping all the way around the figure. Same can be said for the legs. Lex features a new sculpt of armor, gloves, belt, and boots. Interestingly, the boots do not slip over C3 feet as we've seen in the past, but are in fact one whole foot piece, with C3 holes. My only gripe about this figure is the accessory: a chunk of Kryptonite. It looks fine, but I just can't help but feel it would have been better if it was cast in translucent green and was somehow able to be held by the figure. Overall, still a good figure, with the superb attention to detail that I'm coming to expect from this line.

5 chunks of kryptonite out of 5

(I realize it may seem I'm being a bit generous in giving all of these figures such high ranks, but so far I haven't found any flaw that I would deduct points for. No blatant missed paint, no shoddy parts, nothing to really hurt the figure. For a more thorough grading on these figures, I'd say check out Minimates Central when Danny gets a chance to look the figures over.)

Score! I just picked up all 8 'mates and they all look fantastic!

My shop charged $8 per pack whereas he only charged $6-7 with Marvel. Oh well, I'm just glad they're here. :)

I'm working on getting some carded pics for you guys right now. Sorry, no time to open them up just yet.

Oh yeah, my shop just had the packs laying out, not in any box.

Got my set from a different comic store than I usually go to. my usual store sucks, but it is next to my house. The other store i went to sold them for 9.99 :(. He said they went up quite a bit from the marvel ones. He thinks they will be gone by lunch time. He said he has never seen anything fly off the shelves like these. All of them look great.