UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

cylonchaney's vehicle customs

Thanks folks!

I guess you could say I've started on the dropship speaking in the most technical sense. You really have to use your imagination at this point. LOL

Below you can see why I've been so concerned about keeping it small.  This is what it looks like when the cargo hold is just bigger than the APC. It would only work this way if lowered on a level platform. If there's a ramp, the hold needs to be a fair bit bigger.  I hope I can make it work without making the dropship too big.

I'm currently printing version 4 which will be the release version if I like how it comes out. If not, it will be version 3 that I printed yesterday. But the mini-APC is pretty much done.

cargo-hold

Edited by cylonchaney

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

I"m not the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes. You might see in a post above that I designed a flight helmet in anticipation of making a Ferro custom to fly the dropship i'm making. I've reworked it a couple of times. It just dawned on me that we did get the co-pilot / weapons officer, Spunkmeyer. He's almost exactly the same as the Ferro control art. If you're lazy, it's basically a face swap. If you want to better match the control art, flesh tone fore arms and a little paint to make the upper arms short sleeves. Even the same badges are in the same place. Sigh. Good thing I like designing stuff for the fun of it. :)

PS Does anyone else think the Spunkmeyer face looks like Adam Corollla?

Edited by cylonchaney

I printed a Buck Rogers starfighter. It looks pretty much like the render a couple of pages back. But I'm not happy with it. I think this one is going to see the most change from prototype to release so far. I would describe the Starfighter as long and sleek. Mine is short and stubby. It resembles a Starfighter but is not a Starfigher.

I think I'm going to finish this off and maybe do the Marauder for it to dogfight with before completing the dropship. I'm still picking up new skills and techniques along the way as well as starting to develop a bit of a style. The dropship will be my most ambitious project yet and I'd like to  be at my peak when I make it.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up making my own canopy after all. It was a bit of a pain but the one I was trying to borrow was coming out with such thin walls that it was super-fragile. Now I can tweak the dimensions all I want and control the thickness. I've just finished up another revision I'm rather happy with and will start to print another prototype. I've fixed everything I can think of that needs fixing. I may have another go at the rear engine pods. Trying to keep it compact but I think they'd look better a little longer and thinner. Anyway, getting close to done.

starfigher

starfigher2

ships

23 hours ago, cylonchaney said:

I ended up making my own canopy after all. It was a bit of a pain but the one I was trying to borrow was coming out with such thin walls that it was super-fragile. Now I can tweak the dimensions all I want and control the thickness. I've just finished up another revision I'm rather happy with and will start to print another prototype. I've fixed everything I can think of that needs fixing. I may have another go at the rear engine pods. Trying to keep it compact but I think they'd look better a little longer and thinner. Anyway, getting close to done.

starfigher

starfigher2

ships

You are an artist! These are amazing!

I agree. I like the contrast. Although, I am not familiar with the source material 

The first one on the far left would technically be the correct one from a coloring perspective. The Thunder Fighter in Buck Rogers was all one color, basically a dirty white or gray, other than the engines being a darker gray and the logos and various markings of red and yellow that show up.

These look phenomenal and I hope you'll consider printing and selling a few when you're done.

Edited by jettstorm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The one on the left is the most show accurate colour scheme. The one on the right is inspired by the Mego Starfighter and I think I'm going to go with that one for myself. I'm working on stickers to make it more Mego-ish. If it wasnt' for that I'd probably go for the middle one. I think toys look good with lots of contrast. I printed most of my Viper canopies in that colour as well though white would have been more show accurate.

I'm currently printing what I hope is the final version. It is again that point where none of you would probably notice the difference from the previous version. LOL That's always the sign that I'm close. When I feel like no one will even see the revisions I'm compelled to make, it's about time to stop.

I think I'm going to do a Marauder next. Then I'll have two sets of enemy fighters. It full of all kinds of weird angles. Might be fun or might be a nightmare. We'll see. I've got a good colour plastic to use and I need to get some Olive PLA for the dropship anyway (and design it).

1 hour ago, cylonchaney said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I'm wondering what people would think of a Blackbird styled like the one in this link. It's only a two seater. But I think a four or six seater could be created for mates with a somewhat similar look.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1997-men-blackbird-jet-original-box-504233662

i still had that blackbird laying around when i first got the og wave 3 ultimate x-men! i remember them fitting pretty well

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cylonchaney said:

proto-3

I think I'm going to try to round the body a bit more. Or at least the roof.

it’s already looking really good so far! would def buy one once it’s all been finalized, especially if it can fit that many figures

do you think it would work to size it up just enough so that everyone in the back would sit on benches facing each other? 

53 minutes ago, minifigvig said:

it’s already looking really good so far! would def buy one once it’s all been finalized, especially if it can fit that many figures

do you think it would work to size it up just enough so that everyone in the back would sit on benches facing each other? 

We'll see how it goes. If anything, I'll be looking for ways to make it smaller. It takes over a day to print all of the parts for the single seaters I've made so far. This one could get ugly.

I was considering peg holes and modular seating so bench seating might be a possibility but probably not. I'm going to move to a single pilot seat so I can fit it closer to the front.

It's funny. I was going to work on the Marauder so Buck would have someone to dogfight with. But I remembered this roll of dark blue plastic I haven't put much use to and thought maybe I'll just play a little with a Blackbird design. :)