UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Transformers Thread

Alpheon

Does anyone know if he has the same QC problems that Takara Greenscream had (stress points)?

Also, I'm going to need to demand larger pictures of your Krypto... ;)

I had read that one guy received a Skywarp missing a finger, but apart from that, I haven't heard much else. . .

Regarding Krypto (and that is his name, thanks to my nephew), you should see some of the wacky situations he gets into, being the most hyper Jack Russell around (which is saying something). I have so many shots of him doing strange things. . .

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I have no idea what actually happened, but Hasbro is usually at Walmart's mercy. If Walmart doesn't want something done, Hasbro can't force them to do it.

So I don't know why we should get our anti-Hasbro pitch forks ready, when it may not be their fault.

Does WalMart have the power to say "you're not going to release that figure unless it's soley through us!!"? Why can't we buy this at Target or TRU? Why can't Canada or the UK get it? WalMart may choose what stores to ship it to, but it was Hasbro's decision to sell it only through them.

Besides, Hasbro's done plenty of d!ckworthy things, so nothing will make me like them any better.

Yes, they do. Walmart, being THE world's largest department store chain, with stores on every continent except Antarctica (I wouldn't put it past them. I can see them trying to sell sunblock to penguins) can strong-arm, force and in some cases even threaten other companies. They love China because this is a country rich to be their feeding ground with these kinds of tactics. Walmart can, and HAS, say "If you do not give us the exclusive for ______ prodest, we will not only drop the entire line, but every product from your company."

This means that is Walmart wanted to, they could have threatened Hasbro to give them and only them MPSS, and threatened to not drop only Transformers if they didn't, but GI Joe, My Little Ponies, Tyco RC cars, Parker Brothers, MB and other board games, along with every other thing that Hasbro has their mits into that we don't know about. Not saying this is what happened in this case, but they HAVE done it in the past.

Check this out for more info. It really deserves it's own thread. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view/

Regarding Krypto (and that is his name, thanks to my nephew), you should see some of the wacky situations he gets into, being the most hyper Jack Russell around (which is saying something). I have so many shots of him doing strange things. . .

Share! Share!! :D

Not exactly Transformers related, but. . .:

Chasing my other dog, Odie:

post-1827-1194226224_thumb.jpg

Not letting me sleep 1. Notice the red eye? He is a Terminator.:

post-1827-1194225767_thumb.jpg

Not letting me sleep 2, tag-teaming me with Odie (the bandages are there because he was scratching his skin off completely due to an infection of some kind. That period of time sucked):

post-1827-1194225705_thumb.jpg

Caked in mud--making himself look as dirty as possible is his favorite past time

post-1827-1194225809_thumb.jpg

Here he is hiding from predators. . .can you see him? No, he is hidden.

post-1827-1194226019_thumb.jpg

These pictures don't even do justice to how insane he actually is, though.

And, now there are reports of stress marks and breakage, just like with MP03.

Nice. Thanks, Hasbro.

(And, before anyone starts attacking me for blaming H or something that's not their fault: this time, it is. Who else manufactured and released this? If you can give me a more responsible person, I'll blame them instead.)

Nice. Thanks, Hasbro.

(And, before anyone starts attacking me for blaming H or something that's not their fault: this time, it is. Who else manufactured and released this? If you can give me a more responsible person, I'll blame them instead.)

The fans for insisting that Hasbro make this, even when they knew of the problems with MP-03?

Takara who designed the mold to begin with?

Sorry, but it isn't Hasbro's fault, or at least, not solely their fault. There's not really much that they could have done with a problematic mold and design. That is, unless they wanted to sink a heap-ful of money into it. And with a standalone product targeted toward collectors, putting that much money into correcting the problem areas probably wouldn't have been a good idea.

Nice. Thanks, Hasbro.

Well, look at the bright side. This way, you're only screwed out of 50 bucks instead of the 100 Takara would have squeezed out of you. Seriously, though, I've been pretty lucky. Of the four MP series TFs I own, none has ever had any serious problems and I could understand being incredibly pissed if any of them had broken upon getting them out of the box. I think I'm going to leave well enough alone and skip the Walmart Starscream. I just hope that Takara eventually does a Thundercracker.

Prime is pure love.

Megs got tarnish on his chrome parts, and I had to vinegar then clearcote them.

Now, I'm afraid to TF Screamer.

Anyone had any problems with Magnus or Skywarp? Should I bother trying to hunt those down, or should I save my money?

There's not really much that they could have done with a problematic mold and design.

Better plastic quality? Shouldn't that fix the stress marks/snappage problems?

Anyone had any problems with Magnus or Skywarp? Should I bother trying to hunt those down, or should I save my money?

I've had no problems with Magnus, other than the usual paint chipping on the die-cast parts. Pretty much the same quality as Prime.

There's not really much that they could have done with a problematic mold and design.

Better plastic quality? Shouldn't that fix the stress marks/snappage problems?

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on plastics, but there are some plastics that just can't be used in certain molds. It either shrinks too much or just doesn't conform to the mold as well. You may notice this in repaints, especially ones that use translucent to replace opaque parts, the joints sometimes end up looser, etc. That's because the different plastics have different tolerances. So it may be that a different (I'm not going to use "better," because this plastic may be perfectly fine for some purposes) wouldn't produce a good enough casting.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this figure was designed not as an action figure, but as a model. Hasbro has said that (I'm hearing is second hand though), and I think it's clear from MP-03 that that was Takara's driving idea as well. So the figure was planned to use this harder, and slightly more brittle, plastic from the start. I have had no problems with Starscream so far, but that's because I'm treating it as a model. When I transform him--especially those flimsy-ass back wings--I do it as carefully as possible. It's definitely a figure that's meant to be appreciated, not played with.

I'm not going to blame Hasbro for the plastic used, and I'm not going to blame Takara. I don't see the point of harboring such feelings towards toy companies. At one point, someone thought it was a good idea and production got rolling and there was no going back. Do I wish they had used the "normal" plastic that they use of Transformers? Sure. Am I angry that they didn't? Heck no. I'm just glad that they gave me a chance to own it at all.

Well, I can't afford to be so forgiving for a shoddy product that completely wastes my money. It's awesome that you make enough that you can just shove money into a paper shredder, but I don't. Maybe if they put a little more care about their customers into their products, no one would have any reason to get upset.

"Classics" Soundwave was not that hard to find in the stores, and they have a recently reissued Japanese version, so if you are asking about the rarity of him, I don't think it is urgent that you track him down before the price goes up or anything. If you are asking about how worth buying he is for the sake of owning him. . .well, I think he's pretty cool. The Classics version has an extended tape tray that can hold 2 tapes at once, and he comes with two of the best, classic tapes (Ravage and Laserbeak) all in classic G1 style, so I think its worth getting (I wish they re-released the others. . .). However, if you have the original and the original tapes (I bought mine for the tapes alone), there's not much difference between them.

The Classics version has an extended tape tray that can hold 2 tapes at once,

This is because he is actually a repaint of Soundblaster, which was a Japanese only black version of Soundwave released in, I believe, the Victory line.

Headmasters. Soundwave and Blaster killed eachother. Lazerbeak saved Soundwave's head and they turned him into Soundblaster while Blaster was remade into Twincast.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about modding my MPSS, but it would require that I get a working power drill and, maybe, a dremel. Its just not worth the effort, IMO. I like him how he is, though his face is a little lacking. . .

• 2 weeks later...

Jah, smirk makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

So what's yall's opinion of Animated? I was kinda turned off at first but I'm starting to come around. Some of it looks awesome while other parts still look trashy. I think it'll be the show that makes it or breaks it for me.