UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Any new licenses for 2017?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are this months new listings straight from Diamond...  https://previewsworld.com/Catalog?pub=DIAMOND SELECT TOYS LLC

And, the two new licenses are...

Spoiler

Dark Tower with Vinimates for now

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales with Vinimates and a Minimates assortment

Woo, I called one of them! The other makes sense as well. Now I just want Mortal Kombat to be the VG license.

Spoiler

The PotC wave looks kinda... bland, though. Maybe it's because of the Photoshoped pics, as they always look better in-hand. The fact that it's just a DMTNT license hurts it a bit, as it could've used the more interesting looking characters from the previous flicks, like Barbossa, Blackbeard, Davy Jones, etc. I'll be dissapointed if we never end up getting Jones, some Skeleton pirates from CotBP, Norrington, etc, etc. But hey, the more pirate stuff, the better! Jack looks ace btw. Most people dislike the PotC franchise, but I've always loved it, so right now, it's a happy moment for me!

I've never read the Dark Tower books, and the movie has had zero promotion thus far, but I love me some Elba & McConaughey, so even if we end up getting just them with a few supporting characters (hopefully with some interesting looks), I'll be good.

I've got to say, these have been pretty good anouncements alongside Watchmen. If the VG license ends up being MK (Zach said it's pretty big & top secret, so I can't think of anything else, considering Mass Effect & Halo have both come and gone, and MGS hasn't had much Western represantationin the colectible genre), this will be a great year! I skipped Predator & Alien due to the Blind Bags, but since these will be LCS waves, I can actually get excited! TNBC is the one that still gives me a hard time though.

PS: Finally a head with brown eyes! I got tired of having only black and blue irises to choose from. That fig also makes a good base for a young Victor Von Doom. Hmm...

Edited by Kostisfire

5 minutes ago, Nervous Rex said:

Have God of War and Assassin's creed both been shot down?

Not to me knowledge, but IIRC, Zach said that while this game is big, it hasn't had a game in 2016, and won't have one in 2017. I'm not sure though. EDIT: Found it:

On 30/10/2016 at 6:37 AM, DSTZach said:

It's not a new game (2016/2017), but it is a big, evergreen franchise.

So God of War is out. Assassin's Creed could work though, as Syndicate came out in 2015 if I'm not mistaken. And like someone mentioned, the Kaine hands from Wallgreens W4 are very similar to when the Assassins use their hidden blades. Now that MK's been shut down, I'd put my money either in AC or MGS, though MGS is getting that zombie game in 2017 I think. So AC seems like the most logical assumption. I mean, sure, there's also Halo, but we already had that one.

I've only played Revelations (mostly for the setting, although the story was veryone-sided), but it's got one hell of a lore and designs. I just hope whatever it is, they don't start with Blind Bags, and ultimately cancel it after two series like with ME.

Why are we treating Pirates of the Caribbean as a spoiler?

Anyway, this is a cool announcement and a big coup for DST. I'm not really a fan of the movies after the first one, but I'll still buy them for some cool pirates. Would bet we'll see the Minimate pirate ship repurposed as the Black Pearl at some point too.

I still think it's Assassin's Creed, especially now that Mortal Kombat's been shot down. I'm not too upset about it not being MK, the designs would be nice but I'm not really a fan. (Fun fact: Despite having just read "Mortal Kombat", "MK" and "Kostisfire" still registers as "Moon Knight" for me.)

The only PotC character that's must-have, in my eyes, is Jack Sparrow, but the others look interesting. I hope we see the blacked out figures soon, and that this does well enough for DST to do at least a "best of" series for the last four movies. I'd love to see a  Dead Man's Chest Norrington, since he's my favourite character. It's an exciting license with lots of possibilities if it's successful, it just makes me wish I had the space for a proper moviemate display.

Assassins Creed seems likely and it's definitely evergreen in terms of longevity of waves that can be made. Although I'd like to just get the assassins themselves, since there is about 10 of them, but I wonder if they would do side characters. If it's not AC then I'm at a loss.

The thing with AC is that the line could go on forever (well, as long as the sales are good). Like Halo, it's got tons of outfit variations, many protagonists with different looks, lots of antagonists, and it takes place over hundreds of years, so you can be sure the designs will be different enough. Plus, the army builders and historical figures will be welcome to anyone's collection. I mean, wouldn't you want DaVinci? Plus, it's Ubisoft's cash cow. After seeing the Doctor Strange tunic pieces, I'm confident DST can pull it off, although articulation in the lower area might be limited for some. Still, like I said, while I haven't played all games yet (I'm planning on doing it someday), AC would be a fantastic license, just for the cool designs and longetivity alone.

Ubisoft was betting on the movie being a hit (sadly it bombed), so I can see them making deals for some AC product. Damtoys revealed the AC 1/6th license a while back. I can definitely see it happening. More than MGS anyway, since AFAIK, only Japanese/Asian companies have made licensed MGS collectibles. Megabloks had the AC license, but it came and went without much noise, so I can see Ubi moving on to a more tested block-figure brand.

51 minutes ago, MisterMiracle said:

I just can't imagine Assassin's Creed Minimates doing well enough to go beyond one series.

Now that Mortal Kombat is officially out of the running, I'm pulling for Metal Gear Solid.

Eh, why not? It's got a huge fanbase, it's easily one of the most well-known gaming franchises in recent history, and i's got lots of different protagonists, who have tons of different outfits themselves. If you add the supporting cast from each game, the enemies and all that, you're looking at a line with tons of potential. MGS could also work, but not many, if any, western companies have made MGS product, so I don't see that changing.

16 minutes ago, TENIME_art said:

Where else could they use the new Scarlet spider-stingers?

A "The Other"-Kaine from Scarlet Spider could use those hands as well. I don't think that's a major hint, as DST makes individual sculpts that'll never be used again all the time. But, the Animated line has always been light on extras, and I saw someone mention it on FB, so I figured it was interesting that they went the extra mile for Kaine's spikes.

Syndicate alone could give us Karl Marx, Charles Darwin & Charles Dickens. Sad thing is, many other such as Alexander the Great, Cleopatra or Julius Caesar where just mentioned and not shown, so we can't really get them. But if the VG license is AC, and it's handled correctly, it's got tons of potential. But I agree, if they go with BB, I'll have to skip, just like with Aliens & Predator.

As for the games themselves, I was always interested in them, and almost finished II, but caved in with Revelations, due to the setting being Constantinopole. But the story was extremely one-sided and insulting at times, so it left a sour taste in my mouth. Historical innacuracies aside, it  didn't even make sense from a logical standpoint. As I got back and started looking at the other games with more attention, I noticed that they were very "black & white", painting one side as monsters and the other as saints, so I never really made it an attempt to get to play them again. I might will at some point though, as the gameplay is pretty fun. 

Edited by Kostisfire

Best thing about AC is that all those people who were mentioned but not shown may well appear in a later game. I myself want AC 3 if only for the American revolution characters. 

But yeah let's get some historical figures man. Assassin's Creed all the way. It'd be almost as cool as God of War! 

11 minutes ago, Trekker 42 said:

Best thing about AC is that all those people who were mentioned but not shown may well appear in a later game. I myself want AC 3 if only for the American revolution characters. 

But yeah let's get some historical figures man. Assassin's Creed all the way. It'd be almost as cool as God of War! 

Eh, I doubt they're ever gonna use Cleopatra in a game, as they're mostly moving forwards as the game go back. As for GoW, it has some neat designs, but it's a finite line. Although with GoW IV, more characters could be added. Anyway, it's surely not GoW as a new game is coming out, so I'm gonna go with AC for the time being. And like I said, historical bias aside, the games are fun, feature lots of historical figures, and have nice designs. What's not to love? A Kenway would go great with the POTC & Calico mates.

I have to agree that Assassin's Creed is not on everyone's wish list. The movie didn't gain a lot of traction and I just can't see a niche figure line doing anything other than warming the pegs next to their mega bloks counterparts.

Revolutionary characters would be awesome, but how many little hooded guys would we need to buy to get there?