UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

RIP Christopher Lee

CBMM1

It is extremely sad news .....a true 'great' has passed .

Weird but true ..... I was reading an article only yesterday afternoon about Captain America movies & noticed that a 'Christopher Lee' featured in one in 1979 . It couldn't be the Christopher Lee thought I.......but of course it was !

The Cap movie was called 'Death too soon '

A lot of people associate Sir Lee with his more modern roles such as Saruman or Count Dooku. He was incredible in both roles. However, I am a child of the 70's and he will always be the definite vampire. Classic horror is dear to me and you can't be a classic horror fan without coming across something (many things actually) that he had a lead in. RIP.

I was trying to remember a quote from Lee on one of the LOTR special features but I couldn't quite get it until I saw it recounted here. The quote:

Yet my favorite moment in the series isn't even on camera, but in the DVD commentary. It's the scene on top of the tower where Lee's Saruman gets stabbed in the back by Grima Wormtongue, for which the director, Peter Jackson, wanted Lee to let out a scream. The actor felt obliged to explain to Sir Peter why that would be all wrong. He proposed to let out a small groan, a quiet gasp, as the air is pushed out of his punctured lungs. The director was resistant, so Lee said: "Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he's stabbed in the back?"

"Um, no," replied Jackson.

"Well, I have," said Lee, "and I know what to do.'" And from somewhere deep in the recesses of his memory an old SOE agent conjured the sound a Nazi makes when you plunge the knife in.