UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iceman Gets a Retcon...

hellpop

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if the changes get you to start reading?

Most people (myself included) give the Catwoman movie shit because it featured a Catwoman in name only (depite the fact that she's virtually identical to Burton's reimagining, but I digress). But comic books, particularly DC, have a long history of doing just that; keeping the brand name, tweaking the gimmick, and recasting the role altogether.

Look no further than one of the highest rated superhero shows on TV today and that Flash isn't the same one that someone else grew up with. Nor is Atom or Green Lantern. (Hell, look at Captain Marvel.) Most of these have been retconned so that they fit with their descendants as legacy characters but in the beginning, these reboots were no different than Halle Berry's turn at Catwoman.

Sometimes the changes made attract a greater audience than it alienates. In a case like this, there's still both.

The more ive looked back on this particular comic the more ive come to terms with how they presented it, sure the media has taken it and spewed it out for "shock-value" but in the context of the story, its simply a personal moment between two long time friends that reveals something we didnt know about the character prior to this date. And as others have said, there are plenty of people who stay closeted in the world so its not at all unrealistic given the circumstances.

And lastly, if the sexual orientation of a character makes you not want to read about them, then maybe its best if you stop.

Let me respond like this, I was not particularly fond of the Incredible Hulk television series (1970's) using Banners middle name and not his first. Maybe this kind of thing will bring new readers, but I think it alienates or turns off some current readers. Why do that? I am more apt to accept the Captain America scenario where Rodgers is killed off (we all knew he wasn't) and a new guy, the next in line, took the helm. At least that has some relevance other than self serving political correctness. The old guy died, and a new guy was brought in. Make him gay, or black, or female, or transgender, or Muslim, or whatever...

And lastly, if the sexual orientation of a character makes you not want to read about them, then maybe its best if you stop.

You're missing the point. There have been gay characters for years. The point is that they have taken a character that is 60 years old and suddenly made him something he never was before like it was a new hair style. It doesn't work that way.

See but they're not saying "Current older Iceman is openly gay and none of the relationships hes had for the last 60+ years happened"

they're showing us that the events of the past X-men being brought to the present has made the characters realize things about themselves, or expose themselves in ways they werent able to in their original time-line, older Beast and many others have already stated they dont know how this will affect the current time-line in the long run, and has even gone as far as to say he is responsible for literally breaking the time stream

and as I said above, many people go through their entire lives without feeling comfortable enough to come out to others about their sexual orientation

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this is all Jean's doing.

It seems that every original X-Man except for Bobby had the hots for Jean (yes - i'm even including those creepy panels featuring Xavier).

Perhaps Jean was such an egotist that she couldn't stand Bobby not finding her attractive, so she gave him a little mental push in the other direction :D