UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

A thought about Speculation Threads

Gmonkey2k

Today I came to the realization that I seem to clash with other members when I start trailing into the "No-mans Land" of speculation. I've just been think lately (especially with the toy fair thread) that we are just setting ourselves up for disappointment. We get these HUGE hopes and they are dashed away, when Zach and DST reveal something they believe is awesome, and by what I've observed over the past couple months is that this always happens. And I'm not saying I'm an angel either, I've definitely been accused of these multiple times, by myself or others. Anyway, I just THINK it makes Zach feel bad that we don't like the awesome product their making.

I know I am getting hate around the message boards about me not being constructive enough when I quote more than one person, or at all. I'm just speaking my mind. Discuss what I will, I don't even.....

Relax. You're cool, just try to add to the conversation and not get crazy with quoting and posts that confuse the issue at hand. If you get mad about what people tell you when they are trying to help you, it just makes things worse. Don't take it personally.

While I TOTALLY understand that reaction, let me paint in a different light. Instead of hearing:

"The thing you're doing isn't what I want. I wish it was THIS."

... consider that the underlying message is...

"Minimates are so awesome - and getting better all the time - that there will ALWAYS be more things I want to see made into Mates!"

I think Zach is used to the cycle of minimates feedback by now.

Con/event approaches

Speculation starts our sanely

Speculation escalates wildly based on particularly flimsy theories

Con/event arrives

Minimates are unveiled

Minimates don't match the impossible hopes set up by earlier speculation

Board members express distaste and promise never to buy them

Time passes

Packaging is revealed

Board members soften

Accessories are revealed

Board members decide they like said minimates

Time passes

Board members start getting antsy about release dates being pushed back

Board members whine about how long these great new minimates are taking

Minimates win Minimates of the Year awards

Great post Nessex thumbsup.gif

Gmonkey2K ............... I read your posts & I clearly see enthusiasm more than anything else & nobody here is going to 'hate' you for that .

One or two members here may have forgotten what it was like to be a newbie & 14 years old .....I've forgotten what it was like to be 14 years old but I well remember being a newbie wink.png

Nessex & BHM, good posts. Its not a bad thing to be excited about Minimates, but seeing nothing but "what if" or "should be" type of posts gets old. We all do it. Sometimes it cannot be helped, just try to not get obnoxious. We all have the same addiction here.

There are many licenses within the Minimate world, but not all of them are for everyone. Each new license makes the Minimate world larger and more collectable, regardless of whether you like it or don't.

Both.

Moderator interaction is helpful so long as the guidance is heeded.

profess.gif

Listen, this is an open forum and as long as you; A) stay within the very broad guidelines the forum asks of its members, B) put your thoughts down relatively coherently, C) put your thoughts into the area best suited for the subject matter, D) avoid confrontational tone or name calling (opinions are not right or wrong), E) (Lastly) try to use common courtesy & common sense, you will very likely have no problems here. Just remember, as with free speech, you can say anything you want to anyone you want, however, free speech done NOT mean no consequences.