UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Terminator Genisys

I just want to mention how annoyed I am that T2 is streaming on Netflix but Terminator is not. mad.gif

If you want it, and if I can find it, I'll send you my DVD. I've actually got two different Blu Rays for this one! Was $4 on amazon.com last week.

I actually kinda like Spider-Man 3, but I understand the criticism.

And, yeah this is pretty clearly a Trek style reboot. Arnold's there in the same capacity as Nimoy in Trek. And quite frankly, a time travel based reboot makes far more sense for Terminator than it did for Trek. The options for another Terminator were really limited without either a reboot or a complete change of focus

Admittedly you do have a point there, but then why do T-1000 again? When they rebooted Trek they did it by giving us something really really cool we'd not seen before in Nero and his Black Hole Goo of Pain. Yes, the sequel WAS Khan, but even then they completely changed who Khan was. Not much of a character to change in the T-1000 so really they just made a trailer that looks like a T-2 rehash with an old man spouting old lines.

I feel like this is meant to be something of a win back the crowd movie. Miss Arnold? He's back. Don't like Bale? Gone. Miss the 80s setting? It's back. Not a fan of the weird knock-off terminators from 3 and Salvation? Here's the T-1000 and proper endos. Want more Kyle? There he is. Want a kick ass Sarah again? She's there too.

They seem to be taking the best of the first two and rolling them into one new movie for a new generation that also happens to appeal to the old. Sure, we've seen the T-1000 before, but if I'm totally honest, the prospect of seeing the T-1000 in action again certainly piqued my interest, even if it's just for the novelty of it.

It's definitely oozing nostalgia. (Too much nostalgia for my liking.) "Come with me if you want to live" and "I'll be back" make fine Easter eggs but featuring them in the first trailer is definitely sending a message to fans of the first two films that this is a Valentine for them.

I'm still looking forward to it but I the more I think about it, the more it feels like Ghostbusters 2; more of the same.

I think they are dramatically overestimating the affection people have for certain actors and concepts from the series. The first two movies were very successful, but I think the third and fourth installments proved the audience is moving on, if you're going to go back you need to create your own path, not constantly remind people of the better movies.