UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

X-Men: Apocalypse

JohnPike

I almost don't want a wave based on this movie. There were so many characters missing from the past three X-Film waves, I don't want to be disappointed with this one.

Also, this movie is coming out in 2 years! I feel it's a little early for action figure speculation.

Edited by NerdyTrev

• 4 months later...

If he's not in the wave I'mma cry. Drop storm. Gimme him.

Hell you could drop Professor X too since, yaknow, you can make a Professor X minimate by removing the hair from the XMFC one and putting him in a suit.

I would really like an general x-movie boxset with about 10 figs of the contemporary team in their black leathers. Can you believe we are about to get our sixth movie black widow and we don't have a movie Cyclops, Rogue, Iceman or Shadowcat!

I would really like an general x-movie boxset with about 10 figs of the contemporary team in their black leathers. Can you believe we are about to get our sixth movie black widow and we don't have a movie Cyclops, Rogue, Iceman or Shadowcat!

That's not the same situation. Movie minimates have a specific window of time when they can be released. They can't go back and release the X1-3 characters in those costumes. Black Widow they can because she's part of newly released movies.

I would argue that's also one of the issues with team films, they have to recreate the main players for the new or casual buyers, but they also need to bring in the new elements. I think we all agree that after how well received the Quicksilver scene was in DOFP, it would have been great to get him in the wave of 'mates we got, but when you only have 8 slots available, your hands are somewhat tied, plus there's always the question of if the movie will be successful enough to justify more than one wave. With Age of Ultron it is virtually guaranteed, which is why we're getting two waves plus the Army Dump, but the public opinion was very mixed on DOFP when it was being made. Everyone hated the Quicksilver design, but after seeing him in the film wished we had gotten a 'mate of him.

DOFP was a bit of a funny one, because no-one really had any idea how much of the film would be focused on the past, and how much on the future. Ideally, a wave from each time period would have been great, as you'd have had Wolverine, Magneto & Xavier to anchor both waves, and you would have had more room to add in characters like Quicksilver, Trask, Bishop, Blink etc...
But with X3 being such a dog of a film, and without solid support from TRU, i don't think we could have expected LCs to take two full waves. So we'd either get a nearly complete roster from 1 timeline, or a 'best of' from each. either way, people get missed and someone is gonna complain.

Hopefully, DOFP andthe related minimates did well enough for TRU to get on board with X:A on 2016 :)

Movie minimates have a specific window of time when they can be released. They can't go back and release the X1-3 characters in those costumes.

That's not entirely true.

Yes, retailers love tie-ins to current events (films & TV) and manufacturers obviously want to cater to those demands. However, that's not stopping product from Back to the Future, Alien, and the 1966 Batman series from making it to shelves.

If there's demand, retailers will stock it. And of course the licensor (in this case Fox) would have to allow it. I've sensed an unwillingness on DST's part to go "backward," despite the other decades-old properties they've supported.

But with X3 being such a dog of a film, and without solid support from TRU, i don't think we could have expected LCs to take two full waves.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dog of a film" but X3 remains the highest grossing X-film. It was the first X-film to get Minimates and from what I understand they did okay. X-Men Origins: Wolverine did far worse at the box office and still managed to perform better than First Class, which only had Minimates at TRU. (Hell, I think the only toys at all were Minimates.)

So while it's become popular to criticize what is still the most successful X-Men movie (a textbook case of "Be careful what you wish for," as far as I'm concerned), I'd be more inclined to look at sell-through on lines attached to later films.

Given 20/20 hindsight, I think two series for DOFP might have worked but I'll still say that the 2014 SDCC exclusive should have complemented the movie instead of the comic.

Normally I am not a huge fan of tons of movie waves and box sets, but I will agree with you on this one MisterPL, I would have rather the Days of Future Past boxset be more movie characters than the comic versions, although I did really like the Mystique. But then again, I'm sure we would have gotten her anyway at some point.

And Nervous, I wish we had gotten the Evan Peters Quicksilver if for no other reason than to have him square off against the Aaron Taylor Johnson version. I hope they change his costume in Apocalypse, I'm still not sure what they were going for there.

If she's cast primarily as eye candy (and I assume she is), this could be OK, though my first response was to be against it. Cast is getting pretty dang large though. My initial hopes for this film allowing us to really drill down on Scott, Jean, Storm, and Nightcrawler or whatever are pretty dashed at this point.

Normally I am not a huge fan of tons of movie waves and box sets, but I will agree with you on this one MisterPL, I would have rather the Days of Future Past boxset be more movie characters than the comic versions, although I did really like the Mystique. But then again, I'm sure we would have gotten her anyway at some point.

And Nervous, I wish we had gotten the Evan Peters Quicksilver if for no other reason than to have him square off against the Aaron Taylor Johnson version. I hope they change his costume in Apocalypse, I'm still not sure what they were going for there.

he wasn't in a costume. he was just dressed like a 70s teenager. i am sure if he is in X-Men Apocalypse that he'll get a black rubber jump suit just like all the rest of the uninspired Singer X-Men costumes.