UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Captain America 3: Civil War

CBMM1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Trek movie was supposed to be a TV series. Nimoy was done with TV so he passed. Another actor was cast as a Vulcan science officer.

Then Paramount decided to make a movie and Nimoy got a bigger payday and a larger role. But he insisted on being killed off in the sequel.

But Spock's a fan favorite so the studio said, "Hey, we'd REALLY like you back. What if we let you direct the next flick and your role as Spock amounts to a cameo at the end?" That's how Nimoy got his start as a feature film director.

I'm sure Marvel could lure Evans to stick around under similar circumstances if they really wanted to.

MisterPL, on 17 Oct 2014 - 08:18, said:

With both Bucky and Falcon established in the MCU, either (or both) could take the mantle for a while.

I’m gonna throw this idea out there:

Black Widow takes over for Steve while Chris Evans takes a break/gets recast.

That way Captain America 4 can be the female Superhero movie everyone wants so badly, it can play with the themes of redemption and being a spy not a soldier set up in Avengers, ScarJo can get a bigger pay check which will keep her around for a few more years, they can introduce Yelena as the replacement Black Widow, it would be different from the status quo as a way of saying “the movies aren’t going to be 100% like the comicbooks” and allow them more room for character changes...

it won’t happen, but I think it’s better to let a character we’ve seen in 4 (possibly 5 if she’s in Cap3 as well) movies become the temporary mantle holder so they can grow rather then a character we’ve seen in 1 (maybe 2? it doesn’t sounds like either of them are in A2:AoU and I’d be surprised if they showed up in Cap3 or A3 given how overstuffed they’re already going to be) just because that character was Cap in the comics.

Pretty hard for me to imagine a Russian, and former Russian spy for the KGB no less, suiting up as "Captain America."

Works about as well as a brainwashed secret evil cabal assassin.

... Honestly I think Barton deserves his chance in the spotlight. If they don't go Bucky, give it to Clint.

Well in one case it's someone who had no real control over their actions, vs. another where one person purposefully acted against the U.S.'s interests. But I guess you are right in that this guy would always seem a bit unstable and frightening. In the comics, they got around this by making his memory and personality fix more permanent using the Cosmic Cube.

Pretty hard for me to imagine a Russian, and former Russian spy for the KGB no less, suiting up as "Captain America."

That's part of the “redempetion” theme I was talking about. She’s clearly one of Steve’s must trust allies, so HE can see the good in her even if the rest of the world (and maybe even she) can't, so she has to overcome her past to live up to the ideals set by set Steve (I guess it’d sort of be like when Punisher was Cap, but with Black Widow instead)... plus you can make the connection that America claims to be a standard of justice but has a shakey past of being a just country (and maybe presently so if you want to go there) so really Black Widow as Captain America represents the truth while Steve Rogers as Captain America represents the ideal.

I can still imagine them using the Civil War idea for the MCU. Basicly it's the whole Watchmen/Dark Knight Returns idea and that could work pretty well. The using-secret-identities-thing just added another aspect to the basic conflict. But the idea of people asking the government to controll sups is a plausible thing (just look at NY after Avengers 1). Just add a Hulk rampage and some conerservative media hysteria and ta-da!

And I don't think they already burned all the bridges for somthing like this. After all we've seen I can still imagine Iron Man and Cap leading the two groups just in the way they did in the comics. Iron Man is against governmantal restrictions, but he is also clever enough to see that getting legal would be the only possible way to stay "active". He wouldn't trust the government completely (and we all know why), but he sees this to be the only possibility. Cap on the other side is already skeptical and can easily make the shift from being rather nationalistic to being more (constitutional) patriotic, as he did in the comics. I can easily imagine him leading a resistance group. I can also easily imagine him getting shot down in the end of the story line...

(For me, CW was one of the best modern plots in the Marvel comics. But I don't really read much Marvel.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Digging this thread back up. The other night while fighting a case of insomnia I had realized that the Time infinity gem hasn't surfaced yet. So, what if Civil War literally means Cap gets time shifted back to the Civil War, finds the time gem, and sets himself as protector until the Avengers can retrieve it and his shield in the future leading to another found gem and the need for a new Captain?

It would be worth it just to see characters like Phantom Rider, Red Wolf, and the Rawhide Kid.

Digging this thread back up. The other night while fighting a case of insomnia I had realized that the Time infinity gem hasn't surfaced yet. So, what if Civil War literally means Cap gets time shifted back to the Civil War, finds the time gem, and sets himself as protector until the Avengers can retrieve it and his shield in the future leading to another found gem and the need for a new Captain?

It would be worth it just to see characters like Phantom Rider, Red Wolf, and the Rawhide Kid.

That would be amusing but I think the Time Gem is gonna be in Ragnarok since Thor might have to undo a death or two. And the Soul Gem would be in Strange because that just makes sense.

annnd we have our first official promo art for Captain America: Civil War

Cap vs Ironman both sporting new looks

YxaVPT0.jpg

A better look at Ironman's new bleeding edge inspired armor

eIrJHQW.jpg

The armor keeps looking leaner, more form-fitting.

I remember arguing that the only way to do a truly comic-accurate Wonder Woman costume was to make it CG. With the way it hugs her body and needs to be metallic yet flexible, it seemed the best way to approach it would be to render it digitally. That discussion wasn't too long ago.

We're getting more and more CG costumes these days. Back in the 20th century we had Kirk Alyn as Superman ducking behind a bush only to emerge from it as a Fleisher-animated Man of Steel. We're still using the same techniques but using CGI instead.