UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Valiant Minimates

Lobsterman

If the next 2-packs are such a sure thing, why not picture them on the packaging as "Coming Soon"? Development time? Is there a hurry for some reason?

I don't know if they're a "sure thing," but we just saw the Series 2 designs last week or so, and the Series 1 sets are already in TRU's warehouse (or they will be soon). So I guess development time, although we certainly pushed up this set to meet a TRU window.

Not sure if we've designed the specialty packaging yet, but I don't know that we would do that anyway. We've NEVER teased subsequent series on any Minimates packaging that I am aware of. One could argue it might inspire a customer to put down the product they're holding in order to wait for a subsequent release they want more, but mostly I think it's a space issue.

Just two-packs for now. That's what TRU wanted, and we don't know exactly what the market is for Valiant merchandise. Nobody does, really. Baby steps.

Cool, are you able to confirm that these were still packed 12 to a case, or did the TRU distribution model change to account for a single 2-pack?

I do not think we made different-sized cases for this particular set, but I do not know for sure. Past singles like JayBob and Lost in Space were in 12-cases, but I don't know if we've ever given TRU a single two-pack besides that one we did. And nobody's seen that one.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost called it that! No. I can't imagine how we'd take it back and distribute it ourselves, unless there were circumstances, so they need to figure out what they're doing with it. Some day it will magically appear, somewhere. I hope. Nice set. Wonder how many they sold at SDCC...

One could argue it might inspire a customer to put down the product they're holding in order to wait for a subsequent release they want more, but mostly I think it's a space issue.

One could also argue that it builds consumer confidence that a future series is at least on the drawing board. For example, I know fans have stated that they're hesitant to start collecting a set of Star Trek figures unless they're comfortable the manufacturer will eventually offer the entire bridge crew. That's a catch-22 that could be avoided if there's at least a list of upcoming characters.

One could argue it might inspire a customer to put down the product they're holding in order to wait for a subsequent release they want more, but mostly I think it's a space issue.

One could also argue that it builds consumer confidence that a future series is at least on the drawing board. For example, I know fans have stated that they're hesitant to start collecting a set of Star Trek figures unless they're comfortable the manufacturer will eventually offer the entire bridge crew. That's a catch-22 that could be avoided if there's at least a list of upcoming characters.

Unless the release of a second set of figures depends on sell-through of the first set of figures. Which itself depends on a variety of factors: placement, media, execution, outlets. And a retailer may still not take Series 2 even if Series 1 does well. We can't control what they do, and if it's a big buyer like TRU, that may affect production. So the catch 22 is that we increase sales by promising something that may not come through even if sales are strong.

I can't remember ever seeing any action figure line that has ever listed the lineup of the NEXT series on the back. Nobody can promise that, not in the toy industry. We'll promote it online and at conventions, but not on the packaging.

Figures toy company shows pictures of their upcoming characters on the packaging.

Cheerfully retracted! Although if I remember correctly, they showed a lot of their DC waves one after another when it was just starting, so they're probably STILL ahead of the game in that respect.

Retro production also has different dynamics in terms of tooling vs. soft goods production -- if you're tooling one body for everything, rotocasting the heads and boots, and stitching the costumes, the minimum production numbers change a lot.

Edited by DSTZach

The Playmates Ninja Turtles line regularly shows off new figures on the cardbacks and inserts.

It gives you a few months to speculate which paint apps aren't going to make it onto the final product (hint: most of them). It works against the toy company, because I wind up liking the prototype and the final product doesn't feel worth the purchase anymore.

What does the back of the X-O set look like? On a single 2-pack I'd definitely prefer pictures of the figures in both of their looks over a preview of figures that are subject to change. And from a marketing standpoint, even though you're not selling four figures, people are subconsciously associating the set with four figures, which increases the perceived value.

Did anyone mention that the Alpha Flight set had the figures of the second set, and vice a versa, printed on the back of the packaging?

But that's different I guess then what's being talked about...maybe?

Yeah, that's why it's unique huh, but I think it looks cool, and I remember how psyched everyone was for the second set after getting to see them on the first's box. I think it makes things more exciting. At least put something in the booklet, or change the booklet, or do something else with the booklet.

I think it would look nice if you (Zach) would take photos of the figures after you get samples, and put it on the packaging insted of the proto pictures. I thought of that yesterday, but understand the logistics of time, and how it may not be possible.

Found these at a nearby TRU this evening and grabbed a pack. Only one peghook but it was packed full of them. I should have counted, it seemed like more than 12 packs.

Bloodshot is the standout, a nice looking figure with TONS of accessories. He comes with a clothed chest block (black shirt, red... bloodspot), and two extra arms for the clothed look. Two leg holsters, two handguns and some kind of small machine gun/uzi. The paint is super sharp, very crisp lines.

X-O is a great looking figure too. Very crisp paint and the tampoed armor is snazzy, so much so that I believe a chest piece would have looked out of place. He comes with an unmasked head and hair, I believe it's the hair that came with Sin-Eater. He also comes with a flight base and a green energy glow to fit over the fist. My only beef with the figure is the lack of a helmet. While the headpiece looks nice, it also looks small in comparison to Bloodshot. The helmet would have put this figure over the top and I wouldn't have missed the unmasked head at all. He's also missing his energy sword or cheese sword as someone called it a while back which made me laugh.

Overall I am pleased with the purchase and hope to see more figs from the Valiant universe in the future. Especially if they're done as nicely as these two. My recommendation is get thee to a TRU and buy these!

For those interested, the upc code on the back is 6-99788 81353-9

Also, If anyone has an appropriate BSG helmet I'd love to try and convert it to X-O's helmet. I didn't collect that line so I'm not too sure which would work best, viper maybe?

The TRU pack is showing in-stock on TRU.com again.

But unfortunately, for us non-Americans, the Valiant set will not ship outside of the USA. BOOOOOOO!!! If anybody can help me out with these (and Marvel wave 19) it would be greatly appreciated. Send me a PM.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

But unfortunately, for us non-Americans, the Valiant set will not ship outside of the USA. BOOOOOOO!!! If anybody can help me out with these (and Marvel wave 19) it would be greatly appreciated. Send me a PM.

I know how it feels... I don't see why TRU don't stock Minimates internationally, since there seems to be a demand for them.

I know how it feels... I don't see why TRU don't stock Minimates internationally, since there seems to be a demand for them.

The odd thing is that any older sets (prior to the Infinity boxed set) can still be ordered internationally, but all the new stuff is off limits. Way to go with that awesome customer service TRU.com. down.gif