UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Nightmare Before Christmas

If anyone picks up a case today, please tell us the case order if you can. I don't need that many extras of Jack and Sally lying around.

From front to back:

GITD Sally x 1

Skeleton reindeer x 2

GITD Jack x 2

Oogie Boogie x 3

Mayor x 2

Sally x 3

Dr. Finkelstein x 2

Jack x 3

P.S: I am willing to trade a regular skeleton reindeer and a GITD Jack for the Hot Topic exclusive clown and torn Oogie Boogie.

Pm me if you are interested.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also don't know how you differentiate between scalpers and collectors who ordered a specialty case and just want a glowing reindeer.

There is one way to tell if they're just looking for a glowing reindeer wink.png

Although I suppose there's always:

santa-computer.jpg

Edited by DSTZach

...Although I'm not sure how many non-glowing versions we'd have to include to make people not try to get the glowing rare. I guess we'll see.

I also don't know how you differentiate between scalpers and collectors who ordered a specialty case and just want a glowing reindeer.

You're right, I don't know if it was a scalper or a collector. I just find it frustrating when the whole case has been searched over and the one-per-case figure is the only one gone. Because in instances like this, I frequently see the rest of the blind bags laying around forever. All the stores I've visited with TMNT blind bags have several boxes worth still around.

Just frustrated is all.

To me, the most frustrating thing about Minimates blind bags is that the higher price point and manufactured retailer exclusive "chase factor" are taking a lot of the fun out of collecting.

For years we've been able to buy Minimates in full sets thanks to the "custom case" availability, and all of a sudden that gets thrown out of the window to try and generate demand by artificially making 1 rare figure available in retailer exclusive blind bags.

Shouldn't the retailer exclusives be more plentiful at that retailer? What would the real harm be in including more of the retailer exclusives per case? Maybe 18 blind bag packs per case isn't the right number, maybe it needs to be 20 or 24?

For years i've been advocating that custom cases should be the standard method of distribution, and that the old 1-per-case retailer exclusive is outdated thanks to the internet. The current Blind Bag marketing technique takes the worst parts of poor distribution and artificial scarcity and combines them into something that ultimately doesn't work for either the retailer or the collector consumer.

The retailer would sell more if the retailer exclusives were more readily available and the collector consumer would buy more if the retailer exclusives were more readily available.

As for the argument that there is always the casual buyer that will only want the core characters and not care about the GITD or variant figures, then you can still attract that customer by just increasing the number of products per case from 18 to 24, or reduce the amount of unique characters per case from 8-9 to 4-5.

I wish the Blind Bag assortments had two of every character. That way two people could go in on a case and each have a complete set. It still forces the consumer to buy more than they want to get the items they're looking for, so it still fulfills the goal of releasing blind bags. But it would certainly lessen the sting of all of the wasted money on a full case. Especially when the shared figures are being released in so many other assortments.

That being said, I need the three NBX Hot Topic exclusives if anyone has them for sale or trade. I went to seven Hot Topics in the last 8 days and found nothing but rude employees. I've got a Mutagen Donatello that I'd trade for the Hot Topic GITD Reindeer and anything else on my trade list as well.

So, I found a way around the Capital Control thing (#HackedThe$ystem) so I'm kinda looking for the exclusives. I'm in the middle of moving though, so if anyone comes across them during the end of the month, hit me up with a PM.

PS: Let's hope Luke still has a full set of 8 in-stock by that time...

...Although I'm not sure how many non-glowing versions we'd have to include to make people not try to get the glowing rare. I guess we'll see.

You're right, I don't know if it was a scalper or a collector. I just find it frustrating when the whole case has been searched over and the one-per-case figure is the only one gone. Because in instances like this, I frequently see the rest of the blind bags laying around forever. All the stores I've visited with TMNT blind bags have several boxes worth still around.

Just frustrated is all.

Curious about the actual frequency you're talking about. How many stores, how many boxes per store, etc. If you're saying that you've seen more than, say, five blind bag displays (and we've only made six, counting these two and TMNT Kmart) that seem to have the rare figure missing (based on your own fondling) and are otherwise barely touched, that's obviously not ideal.

I guess it's a big club that I'm in but I'm having sleepless nights over this Hot Topic selection . Has anybody found them online ...is that likely ?

You & me both. I have 2 HT near me -- neither has them, nor do they think they will get them (I showed them the SKUs from the receipt pic & it turned up nothing in their computer).

Maybe these exclusives are so exclusive that not all stores get them. :/

I talked to a helpful cashier at a Minnesota Hot Topic today, and he said that they are not able to order them for this area yet - but they should be available to order in 1-2 weeks, once they reach local warehouses. So the stores in this area could have them in 2-3 weeks.

So none of the Minnesota Hot Topics have them yet, Luke? I don't collect the Nightmare Before Christmas 'mates, but I live just a few blocks away from a mall that has a Hot Topic store and I would be happy to check it out to help a fellow collector.

None yet, but I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

So none of the Minnesota Hot Topics have them yet, Luke? I don't collect the Nightmare Before Christmas 'mates, but I live just a few blocks away from a mall that has a Hot Topic store and I would be happy to check it out to help a fellow collector.

That goes for everyone else, too.

Btw, was it the Northtown Mall one? That's the one by me.

I hopped the border and drove down to Watertown, NY today with some friends. We checked out a Hot Topic at the mall there and I was told by the manager that the NBX mates had not hit their store yet. That plus no Marvel mates at the Walgreen's. What a waste of gas money.

That goes for everyone else, too.

Btw, was it the Northtown Mall one? That's the one by me.

Nah my usual spots are all south of the cities. :)

Just frustrated is all.

Curious about the actual frequency you're talking about. How many stores, how many boxes per store, etc. If you're saying that you've seen more than, say, five blind bag displays (and we've only made six, counting these two and TMNT Kmart) that seem to have the rare figure missing (based on your own fondling) and are otherwise barely touched, that's obviously not ideal.

The frequency of TMNT stuff is what my frustration is based off of. I've visited 4 Hastings regularly since these series have hit. Each one of them has had a cardboard display for both series and the last time I visited 3 of the 4 stores (within the last week) they still had two boxes pet stores that were stuffed with bags.

An awkward feel-copping last time proved that unless you wanted April, Foot soldiers or Turtles then you were outta luck.

The first series boxes sat around until the second series boxes showed up and now they're keeping each other company.

To me, the most frustrating thing about Minimates blind bags is that the higher price point and manufactured retailer exclusive "chase factor" are taking a lot of the fun out of collecting.

For years we've been able to buy Minimates in full sets thanks to the "custom case" availability, and all of a sudden that gets thrown out of the window to try and generate demand by artificially making 1 rare figure available in retailer exclusive blind bags.

Shouldn't the retailer exclusives be more plentiful at that retailer? What would the real harm be in including more of the retailer exclusives per case? Maybe 18 blind bag packs per case isn't the right number, maybe it needs to be 20 or 24?

For years i've been advocating that custom cases should be the standard method of distribution, and that the old 1-per-case retailer exclusive is outdated thanks to the internet. The current Blind Bag marketing technique takes the worst parts of poor distribution and artificial scarcity and combines them into something that ultimately doesn't work for either the retailer or the collector consumer.

The retailer would sell more if the retailer exclusives were more readily available and the collector consumer would buy more if the retailer exclusives were more readily available.

As for the argument that there is always the casual buyer that will only want the core characters and not care about the GITD or variant figures, then you can still attract that customer by just increasing the number of products per case from 18 to 24, or reduce the amount of unique characters per case from 8-9 to 4-5.

Amen

The frequency of TMNT stuff is what my frustration is based off of. I've visited 4 Hastings regularly since these series have hit. Each one of them has had a cardboard display for both series and the last time I visited 3 of the 4 stores (within the last week) they still had two boxes pet stores that were stuffed with bags.

An awkward feel-copping last time proved that unless you wanted April, Foot soldiers or Turtles then you were outta luck.

The first series boxes sat around until the second series boxes showed up and now they're keeping each other company.

So three stores have two full bins each? Could either have been restocked? What does the fourth have left?

April, Foot Soldiers and Turtles make up most of Series 1, so if there's a full case, I'm trying to figure out what was cherry-picked from that series. Are people cherry-picking Shredder? How do you even know the Mutagen is gone? And isn't leftover Foot soldiers a good thing?

And the Turtles only make up half of Series 2, so if the Normans, Karai, Casey Jones AND Chris Bradford are gone, shouldn't the case be half-empty? Has it been restocked? Are all the bags in that display from Series 2?

Edited by DSTZach

I picked up Jack, Sally, Finkelstein and the Mayor today. Gotta find Oogie, the clown and the elves now! If I find a reindeer, cool. If not, I'm okay with it. Does anyone know if the elves are packed together?

Also, has there been word on a Series 3? I need Lock, Stock and Barrel!