UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU 2013 Fan Poll Boxset still happening?

The JC

I'm sorry guys, I'm really not trying to be alarmist or troll anyone on this. There just seem to be a lot of factors here that individually wouldn't give one pause, but overlapping they start to at least look like a pattern.

One thing that really jumps out for me is the move next year (TRU 18) back to comic waves with shared characters between LCS and TRU. That suggests to me TRU maybe isn't willing to pay as much wholesale for a pack of Minimates anymore, so DST has to make the budget for a wave work a little harder – i.e., TRU isn't ponying up for eight unique mates, four times a year. Maybe this is a one-time thing for this wave, maybe not.

Marvel is an evergreen property for toy stores – TRU will always have an aisle of some sort of superhero stuff in different formats and price points. I'm skeptical TRU would just drop Marvel mates altogether, as they don't really "compete" with any other format (Superhero Squad was the closest for a while, but those seem to have largely tailed off). However, I think we've all seen periods of severe pegwarming for the line over its history. I'm just wondering if TRU is thinking of reevaluating how much they're willing to invest in not just keeping Marvel mates on the shelves, but keeping a steady stream of new assortments that get us collectors in every three or four months, versus keeping an assortment of mainstay characters that will sit on the pegs for six months and be a "one more thing" kind of impulse purchase for moms and casual buyers – kind of like the model Superhero Squad seems to have adopted. I know that it's not completely one way or the other, that DST isn't Hasbro, and that both DST and TRU are always looking at adjustments and rebalances to get sales where they want them. The last few years at TRU have seen a big jump in the number of Marvel mates at TRU – from the fan poll sets, convention exclusives, multiple waves of all unique characters – I just see signs that suggest a rebalancing period that tends more towards throttling back than staying on the gas.

Edited by Lobsterman

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stopping overlap between specialty and TRU for comic waves was done to help specialty retailers, not at TRU's request. They weren't paying us extra for it, but we did spend more to make them. We tried it for a while to help incentivize specialty retailers to buy assortments, and now we're going back to the old way for a while. Not that it won't ever happen again, but this particular phase is over.

Seriously, Lobsterman, there is nothing wrong with Minimates, Marvel or otherwise. The fan poll was an unfortunate victim of timing and circumstance, but the set will live on at specialty, and specialty retailers will hopefully be happy to have access to it. I think it will do well for them. We had to pick the four figures ourselves, but I'm sure we'll get to the other two at some point. (Don't ask me what they were.)

I appreciate your candor, Zach, and I'm sorry for causing you undue stress.

I'm just going to be like Fonzie now and chill the $#%& out. smile.png

No stress here, I just don't want anybody to cry themselves to sleep tonight over nothing. International collectors are, I hope, rejoicing over this news.

We had to pick the four figures ourselves, but I'm sure we'll get to the other two at some point. (Don't ask me what they were.)

When you say that..it makes me want to ask! But, Zach, I respect you and your amazing sideburns WAY too much.

Nice try, I'm still not telling you. thumbsup.gif

Diminished differences between TRU & LCBS sucks big time, but it's way better than no TRU at all. But this still sucks sad.png

Considering that the overlap in 54/18 is Cap/Falcon and Winter Soldier (variant)/Hydra Elite (army builder), it's not much of an overlap. And I may be wrong about this being a new reality, so don't be surprised if we mix it up in the future.

After passing on Thor 2, I can't help wondering if TRU will be taking Minimates based on The Winter Soldier. Or if DST will offer them at all, even at specialty.

I see Wolverine minimates being a cause of this too. No matter how much we like them, the designs of Marvel movies are a little bland sometimes. Doesn't translate well to....anything.

I know what you mean but I think Guardians of the Galaxy will change that. There are some pretty colorful characters in that movie. Depends on the project, I suppose.

As much as I love the movie waves, I can see them replaced with series based on the source material that inspired them and maybe a 4-pack of key characters from the films sold through Previews.

I know what you mean but I think Guardians of the Galaxy will change that. There are some pretty colorful characters in that movie. Depends on the project, I suppose.

As much as I love the movie waves, I can see them replaced with series based on the source material that inspired them and maybe a 4-pack of key characters from the films sold through Previews.

I, myself, would prefer this, I've not been the biggest fan of the Marvel movie mates ( I just like the comic based looks 1000X better. Other properties are fine, like BTTF and GB because those are the main looks. But, I'll also say that I have almost nothing (besides minimates) that is the movie or television of something. I hope that makes sense

The only problem I have with Marvel Movie mates, is we tend to get movie versions of characters, but not the comic counterpart.

General Ross (RULK coming soon)

Betty Ross

Iron Monger

Pepper Potts (RESCUE coming soon)

Whiplash

Happy Hogan

Silver Fox

Blob

Dum Dum Dugan

Gabe Jones

Sebastian Shaw

Uncle Ben

Capt. Stacy

Jane Foster

Volstagg

Heimdall

Malekith

The civilian characters aren't a big deal, but there are quite a few names in that list that have been overlooked for too long.

I'm not asking for names, but did the new character and the villain redo make it into the box set?

Hell yes.

After passing on Thor 2, I can't help wondering if TRU will be taking Minimates based on The Winter Soldier. Or if DST will offer them at all, even at specialty.

Not sure of our rollout schedule next year. With so many movies, some films may be exclusive to specialty, some to TRU. It will lead to less overlap on movie waves, ironically.

I see Wolverine minimates being a cause of this too. No matter how much we like them, the designs of Marvel movies are a little bland sometimes. Doesn't translate well to....anything.

TRU wanted Wolverine. I don't think they thought he'd be in a yellow jumpsuit. And our Miniamtes look pretty great. New pics this week.

The only problem I have with Marvel Movie mates, is we tend to get movie versions of characters, but not the comic counterpart.

The civilian characters aren't a big deal, but there are quite a few names in that list that have been overlooked for too long.

So you think the movie figures keep us from getting comic figures? Not sure it's that cut-and-dry. Who knows if we'd schedule a comic Heimdall EVER, but he's a major player in the film.

I, myself, would prefer this, I've not been the biggest fan of the Marvel movie mates ( I just like the comic based looks 1000X better. Other properties are fine, like BTTF and GB because those are the main looks. But, I'll also say that I have almost nothing (besides minimates) that is the movie or television of something. I hope that makes sense

I too would prefer this. I would much rather have comic versions of the movie characters. I think part of the problem is that the movie ones often look less colourful as obviously they go more for "realism". Ironically I think the thor ones tend to be the most visually striking yet TRU has passed on those.

With Guardians of the Galaxy, since we currently have no comic versions of them in minimate form, I certainly hope that we don't just get exclusively movie stuff, though I agree they should also be more striking than the average movie figure.

With Guardians of the Galaxy, since we currently have no comic versions of them in minimate form, I certainly hope that we don't just get exclusively movie stuff, though I agree they should also be more striking than the average movie figure.

We have Drax and Gamora.

Edited by MinnesotaIceman

We have Drax and Gamora.

And Iron Man, if you wanna get technical.

And supposedly Jean Grey

We have Drax and Gamora.

Ok point taken. I should've said since we don't have any of the GotG "teams" in comic form, and certainly we have none of the classic team, which is my personal favourite.

Back on the topic in hand, great news that the redone villain and new character are going to make the boxset - thanks for the info Zach. thumbsup.gif

Zack, I totally agree the 'mates you guys made are great, and I will be buying both sets, but you can't deny Marvel is using dull designs.

This isn't even about minimates, so sorry for derailing but I just don't find any Marvel movie merch appealing, I basically will buy any minimates though.

EDIT: I take that back a tiny bit, if your ASM2 Spider-Man mate has those big white eyes as in the pics we've seen, I'd be in love.

Edited by Politician

So you think the movie figures keep us from getting comic figures? Not sure it's that cut-and-dry. Who knows if we'd schedule a comic Heimdall EVER, but he's a major player in the film.

I'm not saying its an unspoken rule within DST or anything, but it does seem odd that certain characters that were made for movie lines haven't gotten comic versions, especially Iron Monger and Whiplash. With the popularity of Iron Man over the last 5 years, and the amount of Iron Man Minimates produced in that timeframe, these just seem like a sure thing.

Zack, I totally agree the 'mates you guys made are great, and I will be buying both sets, but you can't deny Marvel is using dull designs.

This isn't even about minimates, so sorry for derailing but I just don't find any Marvel movie merch appealing, I basically will buy any minimates though.

EDIT: I take that back a tiny bit, if your ASM2 Spider-Man mate has those big white eyes as in the pics we've seen, I'd be in love.

I don't think they're using dull designs. I think they're using the costumes they need to to introduce superheroes to a mainstream adult audience. Maybe there could have been a middle ground, but I think going full comic early on would have derailed things. To me, it's about the characters. focus on the costumes too much and you might lose sight of the true appeal.

Cap had his costume off as often as he had it on in the first movie. His comic suit was a USO punchline because it just didn't make sense on the battlefield. But in Avengers, he wore it all the time. Aside from Hawkeye, all of the Avengers were pretty comic-accurate. Spidey is practically in his comic suit now.

The Wolvie 'Mates could have been more colorful, but reference was limited. And I'd love to see Wolvie in a mask, but I think it's far from necessary.

I love Iron Man, and I'm constantly amazed at the number of characters we've gotten. But is Whiplash a guaranteed home run? His original look and his later look were both... of questionable taste, and neither was referenced for the movie. I could see him as a short-pack, maybe. As for Monger, armors require lots of tooling, and that can be cost-prohibitive. But of course, I'd love both.

Sorry, that was a scattershot response to several posts.