UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Tru 17

Nessex

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for identifying the Lizard in that photo, Zach. I never would have figured out who that was. laugh.png

It seems amazing to me that the Ultimate line was once THE driving force for the entire Marvel line. At one point I wondered if they wouldn't just be better off just replacing the 616 universe with the new one. But now, the Ultimate line is a complete shell of what it once was, and should probably just be put out of its' misery.

Yeah, it's kind of amazing how far the Ultimate Universe's stock has fallen. I enjoyed it for what it was, but certain things were way too self conscious for my liking, like they were almost embarrassed to be comic books. At the end of the day the Ultimate line's legacy is that it gave us the blueprint for a lot of film versions of characters, and made them mainstream "cool."

That said I have absolutely zero interest in Ultimate Minimates. I don't dislike them, but I have no place for them in my collection. Its a portion of the MU I can easily ignore. It does tick me off when they're packaged with a 616 character. I hated when Legends did that too with their BAF's. They should always be packaged with other Ultimate characters like the Ultimates wave to keep everyone happy.

Now that Galactus is going to the Ultimate Universe, and the Spiders have met, the Ultimate Universe is a legitimate alternate reality, like the AoA universe or the Marvel Zombies universe or the Squadron Supreme universe, if they still consider that an alternate reality. So if we're going to separate one reality, we'd need to separate them all. Might lead to fewer dipped toes.

And I haven't looked at 616 Electro lately, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change his look, even temporarily, to match what's on the screen, either in ASM2 or the USM cartoon.

And whatever they originally intended the Ultimate Universe to be -- I'm sure there was a statement of intent in an old issue of Wizard -- I think it was a way of trying out more reality-based looks for costumes (no capes, less color, less Spandex) while bringing everyone's origin story into modern day. They've modernized origins before, but this time they kept going, keeping titles that worked and losing ones that didn't. And it was something to show studio investors as an example of what a movie could be like. Bryan Hitch, drawing Ultimates? That's The Avengers movie right there.

What DC did was pretty gutsy, keeping what worked and rebooting everything else. Marvel tested the waters, then gave us both, for a while at least. Seems like a safer bet, and one that seems to have paid off. Hope it works for DC!

Zach, the Ultimate Universe has always been a part of the Marvel Multiverse (Earth-1610), it just never crossed over. In fact, the Zombies originally showed up in Ultimate FF and have crossed over into the 616 Marvel Universe, there was just no direct crossover. They originally avoided gimmicks like that to stress that this Universe really was a big deal. When they do stunts like having 616-Galactus show up and have the two Spider-Men meet, it kind of defeats the original purpose of the line. In all honesty, Ultimatum drove away a lot of readers and they probably should have ended it there. The mainstream Marvel Universe has since adopted a lot of the Ultimate concepts, so it kind of became pointless after a while.

Zombies are part of the Marvel Multiverse too, and you package those together. I couldn’t really see you guys putting a single Zombie in a wave with an unrelated character. Unlike the Ultimates, I absolutely hate the Marvel Zombies stuff. When you put them with each other I can just avoid the whole lot. I’m sure people who don’t have an interest in things like Age of Apocalypse felt the same way. I just hope you guys can reconsider this practice, because I would rather give you guys my money than buying the one figure I want off eBay.

The version of Electro you’re doing looks somewhat like the John Byrne version from the 1999 Spider-Man relaunch. I think that one had a costume though. And no, it wouldn’t surprise me if Electro gets revamped to look like this.

Edited by bigvis497

Ultimate U was the only comic line I collected in near entirety. I own every Ultimate comic up until Ultimatum. And I still LOVE the early stuff. Spider-Man stayed strong through Ultimatum (and arguably kept going well after, but I haven't read much Post-Ultimatum) and I love old Ultimate X-Men and the Ultimates was a nicely powerful and well packed pair of stories. Shame they never made a third one...

For a long time, the Ultimate line was really the place to be. If you look at the sales figures from those years, they really dominated. But then Marvel shifted the focus from the Ultimate U. to the core titles (starting with Civil War), and suddenly the Ultimate books didn't seem all that important any more. Ultimatum really was the nail in the coffin; a poorly-executed storyline that served more as a jumping off point then a restart. Since then, Marvel seems to have run with the idea that they can do things with these characters that they would NEVER do with the main guys (like killing Peter Parker, or turning Reed Richards into a supervillain), but rather then seeming fresh and exciting, it's just reinforced, I think, that these characters don't really matter. They should really just give up, at this point.

Oh, and MisterPL: Jim Lee doesn't need to be fired. Jim Lee, Dan Didio, and Bob Harris ALL need to be fired. Geoff Johns is debatable. Bring back Levitz!

I enjoyed all of the lines through and past ultimatum. I never really read spider man initially (i picked it up later in trades), but his death in the ultimate universe was very well done. Ultimate X-men has been pretty good lately also even though it did have a bit of a slow start under Wood.

I disagree that the characters don't matter in the ultimate universe. I believe they simply put more emphasis on the stories and allowed them to play out regardless of the ending which is something the main Marvel and DC universe simply doesn't allow to happen. Reed Richards a bad guy in the Ultimate line is a well written story in the main universe that is retconned where it was only a dopple ganger pretending to be Reed (ala Grant Morrison's new x-men run with Magneto).

Enough people enjoy the line that it keeps it going. If it was as terrible as ya'll describe, and universally hated then it would have been cancelled years ago.

Mainstream marvel adopted some of the ideas that the Ultimate universe was doing, because they were good ideas. The problem is when mainsteram marvel adopted them it was no longer cutting edge, it was the norm. That doesn't mean that what they are doing is bad, it only means that where the Ultimate line stood alone, it now stands alongside other books and can't differentiate itself as much.

The same thing happened to Wildstorm via DC. Only worse.

Lobby, I can't tell if you're chastising me or agreeing. Inconclusive emoticon!

I enjoyed all of the lines through and past ultimatum. I never really read spider man initially (i picked it up later in trades), but his death in the ultimate universe was very well done. Ultimate X-men has been pretty good lately also even though it did have a bit of a slow start under Wood.

I disagree that the characters don't matter in the ultimate universe. I believe they simply put more emphasis on the stories and allowed them to play out regardless of the ending which is something the main Marvel and DC universe simply doesn't allow to happen. Reed Richards a bad guy in the Ultimate line is a well written story in the main universe that is retconned where it was only a dopple ganger pretending to be Reed (ala Grant Morrison's new x-men run with Magneto).

Enough people enjoy the line that it keeps it going. If it was as terrible as ya'll describe, and universally hated then it would have been cancelled years ago.

Mainstream marvel adopted some of the ideas that the Ultimate universe was doing, because they were good ideas. The problem is when mainsteram marvel adopted them it was no longer cutting edge, it was the norm. That doesn't mean that what they are doing is bad, it only means that where the Ultimate line stood alone, it now stands alongside other books and can't differentiate itself as much.

The same thing happened to Wildstorm via DC. Only worse.

Hey, I never said the books were bad. I think the only think about the Ultimate Universe that's "universally hated" is Ultimatum. And the point that you made about the regular Marvel Universe adopting the things that made the Ultimate books special is basically my point. But I'd go farther and say that, because the MU books now looked and read like the Ultimate books, that forced them to find new ways to stand out. And that ended up being "doing things we'd never do with the real characters", and I think it's been a disaster.

The Ultimates brought me back to the comic shop after a lengthy hiatus. I LOVED Ultimates & picked up every issue the day of release up until Ultimatum. That story alone squashed any & all interest in the Ultimate universe. I usually keep my finger on the pulse of what's going on in the world of Marvel, but I have no idea what is going on in the Ultimate U. right now.

That being said, I don't mind if we continue to receive Ultimate characters or any non 616 characters. They may not be my cup of tea, but they are someone's favorites & I love anything Marvel Minimates regardless of the source material.

I think my point was that the original purpose of the Ultimate Universe had absolutely been defeated, because it did what it needed to do. Once the 616 looked like Ultimate, and the Ultimate storylines were as tangled as the 616, it wasn't really necessary. I always thought they kept it going for the fans.

I think my point was that the original purpose of the Ultimate Universe had absolutely been defeated, because it did what it needed to do. Once the 616 looked like Ultimate, and the Ultimate storylines were as tangled as the 616, it wasn't really necessary. I always thought they kept it going for the fans.

This.