UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Margaret Thatcher

So the 'Iron Lady' has passed away which is very sad . People my age were heavily influenced by what she did as Prime Minister ,some good things some bad things.

The finest tribute I can pay her is that when she was in her heyday at least you knew who the f*ck was in charge & wherever she led you at least you were being led somewhere.

RIP.

Edited by buttheadsmate

An incredibly important political figure during the tail end of the Cold War. Totally echo what BHM said. I feel that sometimes societies needs someone like that to really give the whole system a kick in the rear side and to shake things up, even if many disagree pretty strongly with some of the specifics of how that is accomplished. RIP.

Edited by karamazov80

I always admired Thatcher. I thought she was well liked in the UK, but learned later that that was not always the case. I am sure the same can be said for nearly any political leader, but it surprised me about her.

Just heared it in the news. RIP

The finest tribute I can pay her is that when she was in her heyday at least you knew who the f*ck was in charge & wherever she led you at least you were being led somewhere.

The same might be true for Angela Merkel today. ermm.gif

Some of the sites I check in on are treating this like it's the 2nd Christmas. Something I'll never understand. Why is it when some famous person dies, usually political, the reaction is usually "They deserve to die! DIE! Go to hell and burn!" but when someone lower down the food chain, who has actual potential to do you real harm dies, they are lorded are a paradine of humanity who could never possibly do wrong?

That just seems backwards to me. You should be sad/apathetic when someone you've never met passes away, but delighted/vengeful when a personal connection dies. (Not saying you should ever be vengeful. Just that if you're going to be a scz bucket and celebrate someone's death, do it for when it matters, not for something that didn't effect you 20 year before you were born (also not specifically talking about Thatcher here, just death and fame in general.))

This is sad news indeed. Growing up and starting to pay attention to politics in the 80's, Thatcher was the first contemporary non-U.S. leader that I learned about at the time. The parts of her rule that I later learned were unpopular weren't very widely talked about here, (possibly I wasn't paying enough attention?). I had no idea until much later just how much some people didn't care for her. At the time, she felt like the greatest ally the U.S. had, (and probably was), which meant I always had a favorable opinion of her.

Either way, it seems a lot like when Reagan died... it doesn't matter if you agree with or vehemently oppose what they did while in office, there should be some respect for having such an impossible job in an almost impossible time.

Edited by pk13

I feel bad for her family. I don't think she deserved to die, but she lived a long full life & i'm not a bit sorry to see her gone.

I will not miss her, as every day that i live, i have to endure the legacies she has left in her wake.

I wish her family the peace and respect they deserve while the mourn the loss of their loved one.

Edited by Nessex

She and the Government that she led were responsible for the economic devastation of many communities in my area, many of which are still struggling with that legacy today. She was poison for my region and that I cannot conveniently forget now that she has passed. I do however hope that she can rest in peace.