UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Restored "the Wolverine" movie mate speculation thread. Now w/ added "Days of Future Present"

Mirymate

As far as minimates... Maybe a boxed set honoring the Wolverine miniseries with a black clad Wolverine, Silver Samurai, Yukio, and ninja could serve as a "oh what a coincidence" not-movie tie in.

Replace the ninja with Viper and I'd say they pretty much covered it.
. This

Can't wait to see the select...

Edited by matticus396

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Replace the ninja with Viper and I'd say they pretty much covered it.

Yeah but IIRC Viper wasn't in the mini-series. Just trying to be at least semi-faithful to the material. But yeah, I'd rather have Viper too.

I don't know who Peter Dinklage is playing, but I know I want a Minimate.

Puck would be a guess. Or Blaquesmith (Cable's little telepathic buddy) Because, you know, that movie isn't crowded enough. (No I don't think even Singer can pull this off)

I think it's been reported that he'll be playing a villain, and there's talk that since the film will quite likely involve sentinels that perhaps he'll be Bolivar Trask?

Edited by Nessex

I think it's been reported that he'll be playing a villain, and there's talk that since the film will quite likely involve sentinels that perhaps he'll be Bolivar Trask?

Maybe nimrod?

I thought they already cast someone as Trask in X3, wasn't it Bill Duke? It would seem odd to recast one role when they're going out of their way to bring back everyone else. I know Trask isn't on the same level as the other characters, but I'm just surprised to hear that.

Well he could be Larry, not Bolivar. Larry's Sentinels were the most dangerous of the classic Sentinels anyway.

I want continuities to line up, because they're supposed to be taking place in the same universe. You can't share some events with other books while contradicting others. That's bad writing.

It sucks we won't get Minimates for this. Would've been cool to have Silver Samurai & Viper. Here's hoping for comic versions not too far off.

I thought they already cast someone as Trask in X3, wasn't it Bill Duke? It would seem odd to recast one role when they're going out of their way to bring back everyone else. I know Trask isn't on the same level as the other characters, but I'm just surprised to hear that.

According to Bryan Singer, X3 never happened.

they had Emma frost apear at the end if XMOW then recast her for the first class, same with beast, he was in a cameo in human form in X2 or X-men, but then he went full blue fury beast mode in first class, so I'd say they have always been pretty loose with continuity in this franchise.

I thought I read something different, I believe I read in an interview that he was keeping in mind every movie, but some directors went in different directions And made things a little difficult for him, he wasn't planning on ignoring any of the previous movies. Personally I'm hoping for a franchise reboot much like Star Trek. Edited by matticus396

Sorry for those who wanted 'mates from this movie, though personally I'd be very happy to see comic related ones instead, especially if it invloved the brotherhood!

I'm in agreement here, 100%. Very sorry for those who wanted 'em... but all these movie 'mates make me a sad panda.

I want comic stuff. I'm no expert on the why's and why not's, but it's too bad that the market can't support a line devoted just to the Marvel movies so that the regular series can continue to churn out great comic-related 'mates.

I thought I read something different, I believe I read in an interview that he was keeping in mind every movie, but some directors went in different directions And made things a little difficult for him, he wasn't planning on ignoring any of the previous movies.

Yeah, that's the statement he had made at one point. Assuming that the quote is accurate, he's taking every previous movie into account - of course, he also said in an interview that he'll be "correcting" a few things, so who knows?

X-3 happened, but taken as a whole, my guess is it didn't happen the way we thought it did. For instance, I will not be shocked if Cyclops and the Professor turn out to have not actually died. No body was found for Scott, and since Jean/Phoenix was an ubber telepath anything, including her own death, could be chalked up to telepathic illusion. But X-4/FC2 and "the Wolverine" are going to set after those events, and reports are that Logan is bummed out about the aftermath of X-3, that's why he wandered back to Japan.

Gotta be honest, two casts from two time periods, "corrective" retcons to line just them up... this is a lot to juggle in two hours and not have every character have the depth of a cookie sheet. Hopes not high for DoFP.

And the Emma thing... please. They never call her by name in the movie, she's only reffered to by first name in the credits. And they used different visuals for both. Easily written off as two different Emma's with similar powers. It's only a problem if you decide it's going to be.

They've cast 3 different Shadowcats so far. And two Pyros. I don't see them having a huge problem with recasting a character like Trask.

He was hardly present in the 3rd film anyway. . .

Sorry for those who wanted 'mates from this movie, though personally I'd be very happy to see comic related ones instead, especially if it invloved the brotherhood!

I'm in agreement here, 100%. Very sorry for those who wanted 'em... but all these movie 'mates make me a sad panda.

I want comic stuff. I'm no expert on the why's and why not's, but it's too bad that the market can't support a line devoted just to the Marvel movies so that the regular series can continue to churn out great comic-related 'mates.

Notwithstanding the danger of this becoing a "mystery man/stegron 100% agreement fest" I'm also 100% in agreement here. I like many of the movie 'mates but not so much when they mean less comic 'mates are developed.

And the Emma thing... please. They never call her by name in the movie, she's only reffered to by first name in the credits. And they used different visuals for both. Easily written off as two different Emma's with similar powers. It's only a problem if you decide it's going to be.

Dont kid yourself, you know as well as I do that they intended that to be Emma Frost, then decided to ignore it for First Class, which didn't bother me or ruin the movie for me in any way, my point was that they have a history of not sticking to their own continuity, and they will most likely do the same with the recasting of Trask.

While they probably intended for her to be Emma Frost, They were Weapon X - is Singer really *needs* to do anything, he can pretty much give a throw-away line of dialogue that explins that she was a mutant being experimented on and given powers. It's exactly what he was doing with Wade Wilson.

I doubt that Singer will bother to re-visit the character though.

While they probably intended for her to be Emma Frost, They were Weapon X - is Singer really *needs* to do anything, he can pretty much give a throw-away line of dialogue that explins that she was a mutant being experimented on and given powers. It's exactly what he was doing with Wade Wilson.

I doubt that Singer will bother to re-visit the character though.

Very true

I'm hoping with all of this time-travel that January's Emma just decides to stay or gets stuck in the future at some point. Nice, quick, clean and done.

I will not be surprised if we see a Jean/Scott retcon too, along the lines of that was "Dark Phoenix who isn't Jean" like the comic retcon and that Jean and Scott are still in the lake. Still, these decisions are a longggggg way off.

I think it would be awesome to see the return of cyclops too, I don't think his character has gotten its chance to shine on the big screen the way it has in the comics. But like Miry said there are so many characters slated to be in the DOFP film that If not done just right, the movie has potential to massively suck.

Edited by matticus396

My feeling is that Singer is free to RetCon anything he wants.

That makes it more true to the comics - convoluted storytelling with countless RetCons!!

But I would like for him to bring back Marsden as Cyclops. Miry, I'm sorry your hopes aren't high, but tons of movies with lots of characters can still be good, i.e. the first 2 X Men movies, the original Star Wars movies, etc. I'm actually very hopeful for this movie with all of the returning cast announcements, plus Dinklage as the villain! As long as he focuses on the story and doesn't spend too much time with trivial stuff, it should be fine.

But realistically, this material is strong enough to support 2-3 more films!

And that's why I can't stand Bryan Singer. This is one of the things that ruined Superman Returns. There'll be no such thing as "continuity" with him in charge.

The final frames of Days of Future Past should reboot the whole X-franchise, jettisoning what doesn't work (sooo much) and keeping the little that does. Since Singer's such a huge Trekkie, maybe he'll borrow a page from JJ Abrams' book and end the film with an alternate – and more definitive – timeline.

On the other hand I'm also hoping this movie is such a bomb that Fox lets Marvel have the rights back so THEY can do it right.