UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Unreleased Civil War Spider-Man

groundhog7s

First off, until this showed up on eBay recently, I had forgotten it even existed. I knew there was an unreleased Target wave of Spider-Man mates that never got released that was partially shown in Toy Fare once. A couple of the figures found a home in the Torment 5 pack and the Green Goblin shown (with freaky Osborn face) was sold on eBay a year or so ago, but I had forgotten the Civil War Spidey was never seen again. Until eBay had one for sale and I snatched it up before anyone else. So, for anyone who cares, here are some pics. Overall, I first thought that the color and design were both different than the one released in 2007 (this was marked as 2006), but after looking side by side the tampos look the same to me, just different colors. And, of course, the non-slip on masked head. I'll admit, I prefer the brighter colors of the unreleased one along with the unasked head, but like the unmasked Parker head that came with the official. A nice mix of the two would have made for a perfect figure (along with some arms on the back), but both are decent.

Now, enjoy a small slice of 'What if?' Minimate style:

DSCN1201.jpg

DSCN1202.jpg

DSCN1203.jpg

DSCN1204.jpg

DSCN1205.jpg

think I agree with what you've said there... the colours on this one are a lot nicer, and there is no yellow/gold missing, which is nice. The Civil War Parker head is very nice though.

I'll take the opportunity if I may to quickly discuss Civil War Iron Man . I've recently traded away a couple of these sets & whilst studying this particular Iron Man I came to the conclusion what may have happened with the rather tragically applied black tampo that sits on Iron Man's mask . I might be wrong but it looks like the tampo was designed to fit a head rather than a mask & in light of what I'm seeing with this Civil War Spidey proto ( tampoed head rather than tampoed mask) I reckon there may well have been a second head designed originally for IM which never made it into production.

I only mention this because I've always wondered why CWIM looks so awful .

post-638-0-45494700-1343561489_thumb.jpg Thankyou Ivan.

Hmmm, not sure which I prefer. I think I like the official release better, but I'm not a fan of the slip-on masks in general and especially on Spider-Man, since it leaves a little ring of flesh exposed at the bottom of the 'mate. On most of my slip-on Spideys, I've put a red head underneath, so at least it looks like the mask covers him entirely.

So this isn't a proto, but a factory produced figure that never found it's way to retail? Cool. I'm not going to ask what you paid, GH, but I'm curios if the seller was aware of the figure's rarity and value, or if you found a hidden gem. Congrats either way.

Civil War Iron Man is probably my least favorite Iron Man Minimate, though the tampos under the armor are nice.

So this isn't a proto, but a factory produced figure that never found it's way to retail? Cool. I'm not going to ask what you paid, GH, but I'm curios if the seller was aware of the figure's rarity and value, or if you found a hidden gem. Congrats either way.

Yes, the seller knew exactly what they had. I've lucked into two LotR protos that the seller didn't realize were rare, but this one came from a Hong Kong seller that sold the Osborn-headed Goblin, several of the unreleased Ghost Rider movie wave and also had an X3 Phoenix with a different chest tampo. A quick search of completed auctions will show just how much they knew what they had. I just try not to think about the price.