UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hey! We should do that thing DC just did!

Lobsterman

But seriously, Hulk in armor? WTF? They got some 'splainin' to do.

Wild conjecture here - if you look at the promo artwork, there's some sort of hovering ship/helmet in front of Hulk with a SHIELD logo on it. My guess is that SHIELD (with the help of Bruce Banner) has control of the Hulk and is using him as a weapon of mass destruction. His armor is an elaborate control system (the strings for the Hulk puppet) and the floaty-helmet thing is the remote control drone (piloted by Banner?).

Either that or Hulk is going to enter the world of Tron. (Hulk smash puny light cycle!)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hulk is no puppet! <_< Putting armor on Hulk is like giving Superman a jetpack.

Seriously, IMO costume or allegiance changes are good for mixing things up, but don't mess with origins.

Re: creating new characters, it really is risky. How many really popular comic characters were created over the last 30 years, overall? Deadpool? . . . with Marvel, most everyone that matters was made in the '60s with a very rare character (Wolverine, Punisher) created a bit later on that really takes off and becomes one of the elite.

Venom also leaps to mind.

But how many of these characters were inspired by a pre-existing character? Plenty of people think Deadpool is a knockoff of DC's Deadshot and that Black Cat's origins are rooted with Catwoman. Tim Drake was simply the next Robin.

Harley might be the only one that saved her inspiration from getting an extreme makeover. Can you imagine that conversation in the DC office?

"Hey, let's make the Joker a chick! That'd mess with readers' heads!"

"Let's just use that character from the cartoon instead.'

"Yeah, okay. Never mind."

But yes, I agree. It's a lot safer to play with existing characters than try to come up with something more original. That's where legacy characters like Robin and Green Lantern come in handy. Similar roles, different casting.

Well Indie characters are held to a bit of a different standard, because you really can't compare them with characters from the "Big 2." But even there, Spawn isn't so much a popular character in my opinion as a character people know because he was the forced down our throats being the focus of one of the most influential artist/creators of the last 20 years in McFarlane. Plus, his look is essentially "What if Batman mated with Spiderman," so he kind of stacked the deck as much as he could :D

I've actually never even heard of Johnny Alpha personally, have only some vague understanding of who Invincible is, and wouldn't consider Savage Dragon all that popular apart from in relation to lesser Indie characters. Dredd is a huge cult character, but not much more than that IMO. Films based off a guy don't necessarily mean he's popular (see Tank Girl).

But yeah, Venom is another one who made it big recently, and Harley Quinn, though as pointed out, neither was particularly original or risky. Marvel and DC will always have a few new trendy characters pop up and be successful for awhile, but they almost never have staying power like those older, iconic characters we all know do.

Edited by karamazov80

JD has been around since 77 (i think) so he is kinda new.Newer compared to bats but older compared to deadpool.As for indie characters not being as popular,that's true.Though spawn was pretty popular at the 90s.He was drawn by one of the best artists,had a kick ass toy line and was a general badass (it were the 90s).

JD has been around since 77 (i think) so he is kinda new.Newer compared to bats but older compared to deadpool.As for indie characters not being as popular,that's true.Though spawn was pretty popular at the 90s.He was drawn by one of the best artists,had a kick ass toy line and was a general badass (it were the 90s).

True. I guess I just think of him as having "been around". But by that standard, Wolverine is new.

There have been plenty of new characters created... it's just that no one's dumb enough to create them for Marvel or DC anymore.:biggrin: Seriously, the environment's completely different now, and creators aren't going to give away their better ideas any more. Also, people complain all the time about Marvel and DC not creating new characters... but then, when they do (like, say, Gravity) nobody supports them. It's hard enough to launch a new book with established characters from the Big 2, let alone someone entirely new.

Boyd's right, this isn't a reboot, because they're not beginning their continuity over. What this is is an endless relaunch. Since Marvel can't sell comic books outside of events and first issues (and the latter is debatable lately), they just decided to create a neverending umbrella event with continuous rolling launches. It's... kind of horrible, if you really stop and think about it.

Every time I tell myself "Marvel cannot possibly get any dumber," the company proves me wrong. The comics have been pure crap for awhile now, but at least we still have the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes to enjoy...oh wait, the bastards cancelled it. So yeah, at least we still have MCU and Minimates.

I am 100% in agreement, Dinobot. I've been a comics fan long enough to see the trends. Looking back, I wonder how many people bitched and "gave up comics" when Age of Apocalypse happened. Or Amalgam? Or the dozens of other events that Marvel has done to try and boost sales. It's all just storytelling, people. If they did the same stories over and over again, you would complain about that too! This idea of the Marvel U being upset because the Red Skull has finally become a world threat to human and mutantkind sounds awesome to me! It's usually a mutant or cosmic threat that gets everybody to work together.

Plenty of people think Deadpool is a knockoff of DC's Deadshot and that Black Cat's origins are rooted with Catwoman. Tim Drake was simply the next Robin.

Right. But we covered this. They're not Black Cat predates modern Cat Woman. :P

And Selina Kyle's "The Cat" predates Harvey's "Black Cat." So there. :P

All I'm saying is that MARVEL'S Black Cat owes an awful lot to DC's Catwoman, kinda like Marvel's grinning Green Goblin looks suspiciously like a certain Clown Prince of Crime.

MARVELVSDCCARD95GREENGOBLINJOKERAUTO.JPG

Not saying they're identical, of course, but one's clearly inspired by the other.

I am 100% in agreement, Dinobot. I've been a comics fan long enough to see the trends. Looking back, I wonder how many people bitched and "gave up comics" when Age of Apocalypse happened. Or Amalgam? Or the dozens of other events that Marvel has done to try and boost sales. It's all just storytelling, people. If they did the same stories over and over again, you would complain about that too! This idea of the Marvel U being upset because the Red Skull has finally become a world threat to human and mutantkind sounds awesome to me! It's usually a mutant or cosmic threat that gets everybody to work together.

Well, Age of Apocalypse is probably not the best example to use, since it came around during the time the mainstream comics industry collapsed and Marvel went bankrupt. Safe to say plenty of people "gave up comics" around then.

I think all the complaining (not just here; the reaction's pretty negative across the board) is just general fatigue. Marvel has based so much of their publishing strategy on events and relaunches in the last decade-most of which haven't lived up to the hype- that it's hard to feel anything beyond "here we go again".

Unfortunately, at Marvel these days, it's not storytelling: it's hype and gimmicks, smoke and mirrors, and an increasing sense of desperation.

Yeah I really don't care what the Universe is doing, as long as there are still some great comics taking place in it. So far, no matter how stupid the event or "big new line direction" looked, there have continued to be quality books on the stands. When that changes, that's when I'll get annoyed.

if anyone here thinks comics have been crap for a few years, then i dont really care what you think of this relaunch, because i STRONGLY disagree.

Yes im not loving Avengers Vs X-men, or Cyclops doucheyness, but there have still been incredible series, and continues to be new ones like Wolverine and the X-men, Future Foundation, Avengers, and others

Happy that Nova is getting more attention! I can't judge the decision until I actually read one of the new comics. Though my first opinions were "this is terrible". Stan lee must be pretty pissed right now considering all his stories he made/helped made are going down the drain.

“This isn’t a reboot or a reimagining" - Axel Alonso, Marvel Editor in Chief

BULL! Why is Nick Fury now black? Since 616 Fury has always been white, doesn't that make this a reimagining? If it's not 616, wouldn't that be a reboot?

I understand they're doing it to cater to the movie fans, but quit blowing smoke up our behinds and telling us it's not a reboot or reimagining.

I wish the redesigns were actually story-driven, and not just a blatant merchandise gimmick.

I just hope the events of Avengers vs X-Men aren't simply swept under a rug and promptly forgotten in-universe as quickly as past events have been.