UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Alpha Flight Minimates!

Jay Tigran

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have Guardian, but I still have the others in storage. Here are pics for those who are wondering what we're talking about:

post-2001-0-16580500-1344043066_thumb.jppost-2001-0-19512400-1344043101_thumb.jppost-2001-0-42779700-1344043118_thumb.jppost-2001-0-52852600-1344043134_thumb.jppost-2001-0-77384800-1344043153_thumb.jppost-2001-0-60894700-1344043175_thumb.jp

Nice. I like the way it looks like Puck is tryin' to keep that brother/sister power thing from happening. (" You two are not playin' Star Wars anymore!!!!"):lol:

I didn't have Guardian, but I still have the others in storage. Here are pics for those who are wondering what we're talking about:

post-2001-0-16580500-1344043066_thumb.jppost-2001-0-19512400-1344043101_thumb.jppost-2001-0-42779700-1344043118_thumb.jppost-2001-0-52852600-1344043134_thumb.jppost-2001-0-77384800-1344043153_thumb.jppost-2001-0-60894700-1344043175_thumb.jp

Good lord I remember those. :lol: If memory serves me correctly, that Puck had a spring loaded feature that was suppose to make him replicate a cartwheel attack. All it ever did was fall over (sans cartwheel). Heh... the stuff that looks good on a toy designer's design sheets. :tongue:

I worked at KB around then and I believe that they were packed like this:

Northstar/Aurora

Sasquatch/Snowbird

and from the New Mutants

Warlock(with removable mask to reveal Cypher)/ Magik

I can't remember who Puck came with, but it seems like Vindicator was a mail-away. Like Wizard exclusive maybe?

sasquatch/heather hudson-vindicator

snowbird/puck (she also came with a bird-form and a badger form)

northstar/aurora

warlock, magik and wolfsbane were single packed. and man were those new mutants peg-warmers. Everytime I went to KB there were loads of them. even with the running change of magik's silver or red armor.

Edited by MsMarvel fan

That Wolfsbane figure still creeps me out, just really creepy looking, but the Warlock/Douglock was one of my favorites, the translucent plastic and sculpt was just so cool.

Has anyone made any customs of Beta Flight? and does anyone think we'll get Minimates of the Great Beasts? I think we'll get a Wendigo eventually.

I have all of these figures.....it's amazing how well they captured John Byrne's style in a mass market toy line.

And Puck's action feature wasn't great, but best spring loaded cartwheeling toy? Spider-man & Friends Beast! So great.

Those SM&F characters were damn hard to come by down this way. I found an Iceman in a supermarket here once and thought he was too cute not to buy, but finding the others to go with him (Beast, Colossus, Cyke etc...) turned out to be very difficult without resorting to eBay.

Did the ToyBiz SnowBird come with a white owl or wolf? I seem to remember white animal accessories were packed in with her?

Mine arrived from Luke yesterday (Thanks!) and both the hands and feet on Northstar look like they were flesh parts with a very light coating of white paint, anyone else see this with theirs? I'll try to get a picture when I get home, I've never seen this before. They looks like flesh colored hands that were 'frosted'.

I liked that we got a full figure and an accessory figure in those packs. With the toyfare vindicator we had a full team. Definitely one of the best toybiz waves.

I forgot about our Guardian figure! I think that came out much earlier than the two-packs, but I could be wrong. I think there was a reverse-colored version, as well. Not sure if it was an error or a variant or what.

The 5" two-packs may have been rare (I vaguely remember them on our Top Ten list) but I had a great Kay Bee by me.

Not to derail the thread, but as long as you touched on a bit of Wizard nostalgia, I had a thought I wanted to throw at you earlier today Zach...

My friends and I, living in the Rosemont IL area as we do, went to Chicago-Comic-Con-Wizard-World-Not-Sure-Whatever-the-hell-they're-calling-it-this-year today... (lol?)... Only today, because frankly it's not really worth going all weekend anymore, but living 10 minutes away, it's still worth at least the day for late summer/early fall nerd shopping for us...

ANYWAY... I don't completely know what kinda went on behind the scenes with these Cons, nor am I asking anyone drudge it up here... but it's been fairly clear that there's been an attempted shift in balance on the Chicago con scene from Wizard World to C2E2. the last couple years. So amongst my friends and I, we frequently have reason to discuss things we miss from the Wizard World of old, which aren't there anymore. Things which haven't yet made their way to C2E2...

One of those things that comes up often is Kevin Smith panels, which while awesome, are neither here nor there...

But the OTHER thing... that comes up ALL the TIME besides Kevin Smith... and more to my immediate point, is we miss spinning the wheel! Severely! We looked forward to it every day of every year we attended the con. We all agreed that we didn't even really miss the free stuff (though free stuff is always nice), we just missed testing our wits for the potential of glory and prizes, lol. Because not only was it a thing to do everyday to kill a half hour, but it was tradition! And fun! We would cunningly plan our potential wheel topics as we drove to the con each day, I kid you not...

Now I'm fairly sure I remember you manning the wheel a time or two. Not always, there were a few Wizard fellas in and out of there all the time... but if I'm not crazy, I think I remember seeing your face there a time or two or more. So I thought to myself today, as my friends and I mourned the wheel's memory... "If there was ever a person I had chance to randomly talk to on the internet about possibly resurrecting the wheel... well it's probably Zach, because... I think he was one of the wheel guys, lol."

Now I don't know if it would even be feasibly be possible to ever see the wheel again... I don't know if Diamond has the spare manpower to run such an attraction, while still selling product in the same booth... BUT... I just want to put it out there... that if that wheel showed up at the DST booth at C2E2... and I could once again challenge it... to a battle of nerdy wits... I'd be all kinds of thrilled, and all over that thing. And lavish piles of praise upon you.

I don't imagine Diamond is sitting on nearly as many 1/2 comics as Wizard was... but I'm sure there's big sacks of promo minimates, and big piles of posters, some battle beast comics, and probably a small selection of cooler, slightly more valuable things which could be hidden under the table and given to the luckiest of wheel spinners.

If you could somehow make this happen... I assure you I would consider it the single-greatest contribution to making C2E2 more awesome that any booth or man has yet made since C2E2's inception. (Assuming Kevin Smith doesn't show up next year, lol.)

The wheel could bring both the DST booth, and C2E2 as an up-and-coming con in general... to new heights of awesome we've not seen on the Chicago con scene in years!

I'm half-joking, but also half completely and utterly serious. If you yourself have the power to resurrect the wheel... or perhaps know someone with said powers... I beg of you to pull whichever strings need pulling. >_>

Forgive my off-topic longwindedness, but like I said, this was honestly on my mind as early as this morning/afternoon.

Anyway, feel free to now continue your regularly scheduled Alpha Flight programming, hehe...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...