The Wrestling Thread

hellpop

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, it's a one pinfall match. With 14 women. I have to ask, Zombie Shakespeare, when were you watching wrestling before? Because the overall quality of the WWE women is pretty bad right now. You have some standouts, but you've got a lot of women that have no business being in the ring on tv at this point in their careers.

The last time I watched wrestling with any consistency was probably around 1999. My brother recently sucked me back in. We went to a house show a few months ago and Emma & Natalya teamed up against AJ Lee & Tamina. I found it to be one of the more entertaining matches of the evening. I find the best of today's females (Emma, AJ, Natalya, Summer Rae, Paige) to be far superior to the garbage of the 80s and the exploitative crap of the 90s.

Ok here are my predictions for WM30

Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Daniel Bryan/Triple H Triple Threat WWE World Heavyweight Championship

Batista

(I know we all want DB to win but WWE likes its cross promtion with mainstream media and with GoTG momentum building got to say Bootista. I would love DB to win but I can see HHH interfering when DB has the winning pin to cause his loss. If DB does win I still see Bootista having the title by movie time.)

Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H Winner added to main event Daniel Bryan (Yes! Yes! YES! DB all the way just to give the fans the dream of a WM moment. This could be the match of the night for me.)

The Undertaker vs. Brock Lesnar

The Undertaker

(UT all the way Lesner is a legitimate monster but his booking has been terrible to me losing to Cena in his first big match derailed everything. He has won but has not got anywhere with his wins I know he is only booked for so many shows a year and that's what's stifling him. losing to Cena and HHH when it counts takes the edge off. UT as I said to win I cant see the Streak ending until UT is going to retire properly and he himself if he does do it use the Streak to promote a newer wrestler.)

John Cena vs. Bray Wyatt

Bray Wyatt

(I am a Wyatt fan and said it before so I want a win for him here. I can see alot of interference in this match from Harper and Rowan which in my perfect world of imaginary booking brings out Hogan and out of the Hall of Fame as well Jake Roberts to even the odds. This would get a great reception from the crowd but in my little twist I would have Jake Roberts DDT Cena so Wyatt gets the win. I can just see Roberts an the Wyatts together just for some promo work which would for me be gold.)

The Shield vs. Kane & New Age Outlaws Six-Man Tag

The Shield

(NaO and Kane get nothing from a win in this match and ppl seem to like face Shield and it keeps them together a bit longer.)

Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal N/A

Alexander Rusev

(Going for the NXT guy as it will be a good way to put him straight into WWE matches defending the trophy in some way. Or maybe Big Show as they can do alot of the old Andre battle Royal Spots in the match with him.)

Vickie Guerrero Divas Championship Invitational Divas Championship

No interest whatever in this match. I really dont care. Cant see AJ keeping it if Punk has gone.

The Usos vs. Real Americans vs. Los Matadores vs. Rybaxel Tag Team Championships Fatal 4-Way

Real Americans

(Cesareo is red hot right now just got to go with at least one tag win for these two before they break up.)

Edited by MiniFiend UK

Yeah, if they wanted to surprise and shock the crowd, they did that. I was there, and the feeling was one of bafflement and confusion. I couldn't believe it. Great seeing Cesaro and Bryan have big time Wrestlemania moments, and great seeing Stone Cold, though I really wish he would have stunned Hogan at some point biggrin.png

Surprising seeing visibly empty seats after that uhh...second to last match.

The other thing was how awful the commentary is getting. It's too self-aware, saying we're all going to remember this moment for 30 more years and it's an "instant classic". I GET the hype machine, I get they're being fed lines but it is so unnatural and over the top. This was every match, every skit or bad music performance of the night too.

Also all 9 commentators standing up and clapping in unison like robots, that was really creepy and done poorly. No one, NO ONE does that without rehearsing it before hand and that's what I mean about how unnatural it all is now.

Please don't screw up Cesaro now, he had easily one of the best moments of the night.

What did they clap about? Undertaker? I didn't see them. Lots of folks were extremely upset about UT. Some guys in the suite I was in actually left at that point. I overheard another guy saying he would finish watching tonight, but was done with wrestling after last night.

What did they clap about? Undertaker? I didn't see them. Lots of folks were extremely upset about UT. Some guys in the suite I was in actually left at that point. I overheard another guy saying he would finish watching tonight, but was done with wrestling after last night.

Yeah when Taker was walking off all 9 stood up and clapped in unison. Never missing a beat, same clapping motion, same time, every time. It was offensively scripted and that's stupid because you're just clapping.

Not watched it all I fell asleep a few times while it was streaming as its early hours over here.

I did catch all the key parts and like a few people some of it just baffles me. I like others am a little stunned over the UT match and really cant get my head around what the WWE hope to gain from that result. Both guys wrestle a very limited time over the year so its nothing gained there. Lesner didn't need it to lift him up to star status so no need for the rub or anything. If UT is thinking of retiring completly and he said that's it no more the next guy wins then WWE should have used this chance to help create a star not waste it on someone who didn't need it. I really cant be arsed tying anymore on that as it baffles me.

Kinda the same with Cena an Wyatt. Cena gains nothing from that result the forced hinting at a bad guy Cena with the facial expressions when he nearly "lost control" just didn't work for me I would have preffered a Cena DQ win because of interference as it would have made sense.

It started and ended well with really only the Battle Royal raising the grade the rest was just I feel very weak or just no use.

I read somewhere today that Taker planned on letting Brock beat the streak in 2010, so he might have just chosen Brock as the guy awhile back. If that's the case, then maybe only UT knows why it happened this way. I agree that from a business POV, it is questionable, but we'll see where they go with it.

You got to go to the show, K80? We need a full report!

My thoughts:

-I missed the preshow and the opening Hogan/Austin/Rock segment. Gonna have to go back and watch that.

-My brother invited me for a WrestleMania party, and I got there just as Bryan and Hunter were locking up. I thought that match was really good, probably the best of the night. Not much else to say, except that the right man won. Oh, and Steph's outfit. buttrock.gif

-I don't usually like squashes, but I really liked the Shield match. They just came out, kicked ass, and left. Fine by me. No breakup, also fine by me. There's a rumor that we might get the Shield vs Evolution at some point, which would be pretty awesome.

-The battle royal was just chaotic until the end. Cesaro slamming Big Show was cool. But the Miz... four years ago, he enters and leaves WrestleMania the champion. This year he's eliminated from a midcard battle royal by the Cobra. rofl.gif

-I skipped the Undertaker match. Anything notable happen?

-In all seriousness.... not very good. Really a flat match. Undertaker looked really old, and like he just couldn't do much. But I don't think the crowd ever bought into Brock winning, like they have in previous years, which made the finish all the more shocking. I remember thinking "he's not going to kick out of a third F5, is he?"... and then he didn't. Wow. I heard the same thing, about people being so upset they left. As far as Brock goes, I think he's as good a choice to end it as anybody. He's basically the regular special attraction, so giving him that accomplishment makes him all the more special. I just wish he'd been undefeated since his comeback going into the match. Dunno.gif

-Oh, I forgot all about Cena and Bray Wyatt. My main thought: Of course Cena won. OF COURSE CENA WON.gah.gif

-I thought Bray was great in the match. Really looked like a star. Cena's whole "I'm fighting the monster within!" bit was a little much, though.

-The Divas match. Ugh. I feel so bad for these women. Nobody gives a fuck about them, and being sandwiched between the Streak being broken and Daniel Bryan finally winning the title is the ultimate death spot. There were some bad moments, and it looked like one of the Funkadactyls had her top pop open, but it wasn't quite the disaster I thought it would be. Sure wasn't good, though. Yay AJ winning.

-The title match was really quite good. I especially loved the stuff when Hunter and Steph came out. Bryan doing a tope on the Authority was great, although it looked like Steph may have really hurt her ankle. That's what you get for wearing 8-inch heels if you're taking a bump. The Batista Bomb/RKO spot was excellent, though I was disappointed they didn't go through the French announce table. No one's ever done that before! Loved the ending, was surprised that Big Dave took the loss, and via submission at that. I thought for sure that Orton would take the fall to set up Batista challenging Bryan. That almost seems like the end of the Batista experiment, doesn't it?

-Yay Daniel Bryan winning. I still miss Punk.

-The backstage segments sucked, of course.

-I don't know why, but MAN was I in the mood for Mountain Dew. Dunno.gif

Cesaro is a Paul Heyman guy! This is a good thing, of course. I'll relay my thoughts that I posted on Sideshow Freaks yesterday from being there:

I was there last night, and so my impression on things is probably a bit different than if I had been watching on television (where you get better, closer shots on TV, the crowd around you isn't biasing things as much, WWE's sound crew is better able to isolate out the sounds relevant to the match, you get commentary, etc.), but it felt like a pretty freaking epic show. Crowd was really into several parts of the show, from Cesaro's break from the Americans and battle royal win, to the Hogan/Rock/Austin thing, to Bryan's wins (obviously), etc. For me, the biggest moments were Austin coming out (where I totally geeked out, having no idea that was going to happen), the Bryan, HHH, and Undertaker entrances (70,000+ doing the "Yes" chants in tandem during the first Bryan entrance produced a a very odd feeling that is probably akin to an ancient army doing a battle chant prior to war), and of course, the end of the Undertaker match. I did also feel that the Cena/Wyatt match was kind of disappointing, though the atmosphere with the band playing them to the ring was pretty great. The audience did seem a bit dead for the Undertaker match itself, except for his ring entrance which is always an event. Because that was the one match everyone assumed they knew the outcome for. When Brock got the first F-5, I didn't even blink, because I just knew he wasn't going to win. When it ended, I was as dumbstruck as everyone else, and thought I was missing something. This is the biggest wrestling moment since the Montreal Screwjob in my opinion, and so it was nice to have been there when it happened. But after it was over my friend and I regretted that we didn't pay more attention to the match, considering. . .we blew a lot of it off. And of course, that did dampen the main event a bit, but it was still great, and the audience was totally into the "Yes" chants. Amazing show live. I look forward to watching the highlights again at home.

Undertaker looked old and slow. The match was really pretty bad except for the shock ending. I'm glad the streak is over. To have a noticeably diminished UT continue to beat current stars would start to make those stars look really bad. I think it works business-wise to have it be Brock. Now they can use this as heat for a PPV match against Daniel Bryan where he triumphs over the monster who broke the Undertaker's streak.

Say what you want about Brock, but Heyman sure sold the hell out of the thing with that excellent promo last night. I've seen people call it the greatest promo ever; I'm not even sure it's Heyman's best promo this year.

Raw was great last night. I wish they all could be post-WrestleMania Raws. LOOOOOVED the Shield joining with Bryan at the end. A lot of people are speculating that we might end up with a War Games match between those eight, to which I say Daniel_Bryan_YES.gif

War Games? I more expect another forgettable Survivor Series type match. Here are some Wrestlemania pics I took.

DSC_0128_zpse7e83f2d.jpg

DSC_0156_zps36737f85.jpg

DSC_0161_zps587fc16e.jpg

DSC_0198_zps396ff540.jpg

DSC_0219_zps3e11c291.jpg

DSC_0228_zps8a3c4339.jpg

DSC_0238_zpsb666c093.jpg

DSC_0279_zps535dfe5e.jpg

DSC_0296_zps10f8ed09.jpg

DSC_0303_zps12e1d1b5.jpg

Whoa, guys. I was just about to go to bed, when I saw that the Ultimate Warrior is dead, just a day after appearing on Raw. Unbelievable.

Jesus. Wow. RIP.

DSC_0206_zpsd6ff05b9.jpg

Edited by karamazov80

Just read about the Ultimate Warrior myself. Just woke up and was like is someone joking around.

I had to double check on the WWE site just to make sure!

RIP Ultimate Warrior you where one of my faves as a kid. All muscles and paint like a comic hero brought to life.

Sad that he is gone. I haven't watched wrestling in over a decade but he was one of my favorites as a kid. I watched his appearance on Raw after I heard the news and he didn't look good. 54 is still young. RIP Ultimate Warrior.

Terrible news. I wonder what the circumstances were. Warrior was not the best wrestler, but he was a hell of an entertainer and I loved him as a kid.

On another note, I'm really glad to see some NXT talent coming up. Surprised that Adam Rose is making the jump ahead of some others, but I do like that gimmick and I hope that they expand the roster of his party buddies during his entrances.

From the reports I've read, sounds like he collapsed outside of a hotel in Arizona. Unfortunately, I think the wear and tear of what he did to his body all those years caught up to him. It's eerily similar to Randy Savage, other than that he wasn't driving a car. And, at least Warrior was able to come back and have his HOF moment before passing.

Funny though, thinking back on his career it seemed like he spent a relatively short amount of time actually wrestling. And looking at Wikipedia supports this--he started in '85, and was essentially done in '92 except for a smattering of matches here and there. But, he was a body builder who no doubt juiced for a much longer period of time, before and after his wrestling career.

Sad news indeed. A major character from my childhood. I didn't even get to watch wrestling when I was young, but I did have a lot of figures and posters. Minifiends comment about a superhero come to life is interesting, because all I knew was that this guy looked awesome, and he fought people. I had no distinction between him and Batman when I was a kid.

On a selfish note, I was made to feel old today. Went out for lunch with some of the graduates in my department (all aged 22-25) and I said 'sad news about The Ultimate Warrior isn't it?'. I was met with blank stares, they had no clue who I was talking about.

I wouldn't mind but I'm only just about to turn 29 and they treat me like I'm their dad! :lol: