UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mattel Announces SDCC 2012 Exclusives

hellpop

http://thefwoosh.com/2012/04/mattel-san-diego-comic-con-2012-preview

-I was REALLY excited when I saw Death... and then I realized that she's basically just a statue with a little articulation. Sigh.

-I love Tiny Titans (seriously, read Tiny Titans. Especially if you've got kids); I could definitely see myself getting those for my daughter, but I really hope this is not the only set they release. Those may be the New Teen Titans, but they are hardly the core Tiny Titans.

-I'd also think about getting the Polly Pockets for my daughter, but not if they are PVCs and not action figures.

-I don't even know what to make of the MOTU guy.

All in all, not the best offering. But I honestly don't mind when con exclusives aren't great, since that means I won't have to buy them.

Anyway, bring on the SDCC Minimates!

That is a real train wreck of a lineup. I'd be interested in the Tiny Titans, but I'm not sure about the Squinkies scale. I'll probably be in for the Polly Pockets, since I've bought the other two sets for my wife in past years.

Why is He-Man wearing a tank on his head?!?

-I love Tiny Titans (seriously, read Tiny Titans. Especially if you've got kids); I could definitely see myself getting those for my daughter, but I really hope this is not the only set they release.

Oh, they won't be. They'll release just enough for you to get really excited about the line, then drop it on its head. coughactionleaguecough :verymad:

Edited by Lobsterman

So annoyed with Mattel this year, but at least i don't need to waste money getting them.

Death pissed me off. I LIKE that character in her entirety. I like the statue. The problem is exactly that. Why the hell is she an 8 inch statue?! Combined with NO DC exclusive, that blows. Bad show, Mattel.

Sadly, i'll still buy her. Trying to avoid a statue collection but she does look good. Her and the Polly Pockets (Poison Ivy is getting some serious love this year. :wub: ) and that's it.

That MOTUC exclusive....i get the nostalgia and the idea that they can make anything....but that is the ugliest thing i have ever seen, and there was a reason we got He-man instead in the first place. Yuck.

I'm confused why they're making Death - 8" is a new size for Mattel, and the limited articulation basically makes her a statue. Is Mattel making some kind of move on DC Direct's market? Or are they launching a new Marvel Select style line of figures?

Edited by boyd

I'm confused why they're making Death - 8" is a new size for Mattel, and the limited articulation basically makes her a statue. Is Mattel making some kind of move on DC Direct's market? Or are they launching a new Marvel Select style line of figures?

They clarified things a bit later today:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/new-information-about-mattels-sdcc-exclusive-offerings

Basically they say that they want to use the con to experiment. What happens in San Diego.... :ermm:

"Due to logistical purposes we are unable to answer this at this time, but stayed tuned for great products still to come! Have you bought your MOTUC Subscription yet?"

~Typical Matty Answer

I don't think they even thought it through. If this is what's to come in 2013, i'm done.

And that answer is ridiculous. They "experimented" with Swamp Thing too, and the backlash was terrible. They don't know what they're doing, apparently.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

I usually look forward to the SDCC exclusives from both Mattel and Hasbro. Not this year though. Except for the red Jinx I'm not interested in any of their releases. I agree with Donster, Mattel seems really lost this year. Not just with SDCC, but all around.

More money for minimate exclusives! DST old buddy, don't let me down.

Edited by fwoosheyman

I was so exceited to see that Matty announced exclusives becuase I collect MOTUC. Then I saw the name and thought hmmmm well I don't know who Vykron is. Then I saw the pictures and didn't care who he is because that is utter ridiculousness. I love that line but I guess I can be happy I don't have to fork over and extra 40 bucks in August to get that on their website.

This is an odd assortment.

the Death statue is weird, it’s like they’ve deemed their “High end but not High Enough End” $60 12inch figures successful enough to branch out into “High end but not Hight Enough End” $25 plastic statue (Half the price of a Kotobukiya with one third the quality!)... who is it for? Death is SUPER easy to make a DCUC (new head, necklace, new belt: Wonder Girl base with Supergirl’s boots. DONE!) and would have been better accepted as such. I guess there’s a market for ‘random girl statue’ but why is Mattel getting into the market when they can’t handle what they do already?

Vykron is weird, I get the whole ‘concept made reality’ idea like Vikor and Demo-Man, I’m sure there are super fans who are WAY more pumped about this figure then DraegoMan (they’re retro, Draego is made up!), but he’s silly looking in all his forms.

Dana is just sad, and I want to remind eveyone just how lucky we are with how DST handled Ghostbusters, not one of our GB minimates is a half-assed statue because it’s cost to much to tool.

I might get the Titans and Pollys because they look they’ll fit in with Action Leagues (after I snap off Polly Catwoman’s ponytail and paint Harley’s face white)... but why not make the Titans Action Leagues? When you already have a cut line you’re not using why make a new one? I’m sure Polly Pocket Pollyverse is up in arms because the Pollys are pre-posed PVCs rather then dolls as well so there’s no customizing possibilities like with the last two sets.

I like to think the Monster High exclusive was not announced because they were so busy running Mattel’s only line making money at retail they plum forgot about Comic Con. (also if Mattel’s making random girl statues and pre-posed polly PVCs now, can I get some of those for Monster High? I like the character designs, but don’t want to have to put the effort into tending to a doll collection to own a Frankenstein Girl figure.)

so yeah.... this will probably be the first year in a long time Mattel has no line at their booth! (which just means they’ll think they’d got everything figured out, and NEXT year they’ll make exclusives people actually want and all hell will break loose.)

New photos, from Mattel's setup at a local store for FCBD:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/a-closer-look-at-mattels-2012-sdcc-exclusives

Disappointing as the Death psuedo-statue is, weird as the He-Man set is, the real dog of these offerings is the Sigourney Weaver figure. Poor articulation... and fugly.:yucky:

Still liking the Tiny Titans, though.

• 1 month later...

Meant to post this last week: Fwoosh review of the Tiny Titans set:

http://thefwoosh.com/2012/06/first-look-tiny-titans-sdcc-convention-bus-set

Looks really cool. The box art and little displays makes me want to get a set for display, and a set for my daughter (there's no way I'm getting a Tiny Titans set and not having it torn open).

• 1 month later...

Got a Tiny Titans set for my daughter; it's really great. I thought about picking up a second for myself, but that would have been about $50... so no, not this time. But if they put it up for sale again, or they have some at NYCC, I'll probably get one, it's that cool. I really hope that they do another set, and so does my daughter.:biggrin:

Everything is sold out at Mattycollector, except for that Death statue. I will never understand what they were thinking on that one. It's too cheap looking to appeal to the high-end statue collectors, and too expensive (not to mention immobile and huge) for the action figure collectors. I hope they don't take this as some kind of sign that there's no interest in Sandman or Vertigo characters; if they'd made a Death action figure, I'm sure it would have sold very well (I'd have bought one). I'm hoping that, if the Watchmen sub does well, we might see Club On the Ledge or something like that in 2014.