UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

I'd like to add Cyclops in his Classic Blue and Gold with an Optic Blast visor to that Best of 3 wish list smile.png

I would love a Cyke like this (would save me the trouble of trying to make a custom one)

I also wouldn't be upset at a light blue with white X costumed X-Factor Cyke (But I'd prefer an updated Blue and Gold with optic blast first)

Edited by Shogi

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since all the "Best of" 'mates have been re-releases/updates of already-done costumes, I'm not sure of the likelihood of having new costumes. But just for fun, here's my Best of 3 wish list. In keeping with the spirit of the wave, I tried to pick some characters that already have some of the best minimates made, instead of choosing ones we need to "update" just for the sake of it. For example, the current Black Panther, the champions Black Widow, and avengers #1 Wasp are some of my favorites in their current form. Which in that case means they should be in the Best of Wave! smile.png Of course, might have snuck in two that need updates (hint hint), but when they first came out they were quite awesome at the time.

Cyclops (Blue/yellow) / Marvel Girl (green/yellow mask)

Classic Sue Storm (Blue/Black) / Black Widow (Gray Jumpsuit)

Wasp (Yellow/black) / Classic Nick Fury (With Shield uniform and interchangeable trench coat look)

Luke Cage (Power Man, bulked up) / Black Panther (All black with claw hands and vibranium daggers)

Honorable mentions

Storm (Updated Giant Size X-Men costume)

Professor X (updated regular wheelchair with "X" rims)

Doc Ock (with new sculpted tentacles similar to the Mr. Fantastic "Stretch" pieces, that can hold onto a minimate body, and bottom two tentacles can hold him off the ground?)

feel free to add.

Edited by kaipo

I LOVE that Marvel Girl look for Jean Grey - the issue with having it in a 'best of' wave is that it's not actually a look that has appeared before.

All of the figures in the best of waves are re-releases with some minor part swapping or paint updates.

If we did get a Best Of Jean - it'd probably have to be one of her already released looks.

I think you have a better chance of seeing a Cyclops / Magneto pair-up in the Best Of series (assuming there is a 3rd wave).

Alright revised wishlist based on the fact that they need to be rereleases of previously done costumes.

Cyclops (Blue/yellow) / Professor X (updated regular wheelchair)

Carnage / Doc Ock (with new sculpted tentacles similar to the Mr. Fantastic "Stretch" pieces, that can hold onto a minimate body, and bottom two tentacles can hold him off the ground?)

Luke Cage (Power Man, bulked up) / Classic Nick Fury (With Shield uniform and interchangeable trench coat look)

Storm (Updated Giant Size X-Men costume) / Black Panther (with claw hands and vibranium daggers)

Honorable mention:

would really like an Ant Man (Classic look) with Wasp (black and yellow costume), and the Antman could come with a "mini" wasp similar to Galactus' silver surfer and Tinkerbell. But seeing as though we just got an Ant Man in Wave 44, decided to cut those from the list.

wanted to keep Sue Storm but she kinda didn't fit with the others so swapped in Storm for her.

Tried to pick the most popular characters but having a balance between Avengers/spidey/x-men/etc.

Edited by kaipo

I like that Hulk to :) I want a Red one!

Best of 3: variants!

brown Wolvie, black suit Spider-man, Bucky Cap, Modern Thor, Modern Iron-man, grey Hulk, and then more could be Magneto, Dr. Ock, Red Skull, Ghost Rider, Abomination.

Just bought the reed and hulk packs to round out my first series I bought every pack of(please..don't stone me). I would love to see variants...but I don't know if that's what they shoot for with that line. I wish they would do a variant wave one day. I definitely think a series 3 will happen, though. Even if that's the last best of wave. I didn't buy the MVC version of Hulk, so how does he compare to the best of?

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Mr. Fantastic. Anybody else having trouble with the non-stretchy arms staying on the torso? Both of mine are loose as heck.

Try submerging them in boiling water for a few seconds to shrink the sockets and then pass them under cold water to solidify them. That should cure the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Magneto needs a best of, but I can't flush out a line.

Magneto and Phoenix

Sue and Johnny Storm (Richards)

Rulk and Red Skull

Juggernaut and [Falcon]

I really want a new Mags, I'm not a fan of MvC, Dark, or Dark Tide, and I display Villains which is ok. AoA Mags is one of my favorite minimates so I would hope the BO would be like him.

The Phoenix from MvC is fine, but I would like for the BO to be more like the Skrull Jean Grey. I just prefer the darker green I guess.

Sue and Johmny, we need to round out the team right? I don't know how you would improve on the Johnny we just got, maybe make him red and yellow and try to make him the classic version? Sue we just need a new body to match, but a transparent invisible woman would be cool.

Red Skull has two mates not including the movies, Villains is neat and I also like the other one, it would be cool if the body was designed in a way were it looks unisex and the mate came with a Sin head.

Red Hulk has one mate and he is far to puny to display with my other Hulks. I don't consider MvC red hulk to be Rulk, and I don't like how it looks when you mix the two. I try to think if he's popular enough to sell a bunch of sets, I don't really read anything so I don't know if he's super popular it just looks like he's in everything. Hey quick question, how come Savage Hulk has a beard but Rulk (T-Ross) can't keep his mustache? Yeah I know, it was a mystery who he was and that would have given it away.

Juggernaut is awesome, but he's to small. I have him standing on the concrete slabs that came with Dad Hair Hulk :) (I forgot who called him that) and have him behind the X-Villains so he's the tallest, oh Appocolypse.

Haha Falcon needs love!! and minimates need some color other then the Hulk! I know you need a minimate before you can have a best of, but like I said, it's hard planning lines, kudos to Chuck and DST! for the hard work they put into making us minimates.

I'd like a Best Of of X-men, since it's been mostly an Avenger's affair.

Cyclops/Jean or Phoenix (Cyclops could have his classic all blue outfit or any other outfit with an Optic Blast visor from AvX, and Phoenix could have Marvel Girl or an Updated Dark Phoenix)

Emma/ Magneto (I'd love an updated White Queen look, plus it would be technically add another villain to this line, if not, Astonishing Diamond form, as for Magneto, I guess just the classic look with some new accessories like lifting a metal construct or something)

Nightcrawler/Shadowcat (Classic look, and for Kitty, Astonishing or 80's)

Psylocke/Gambit (90's and 90's)

Would be a perfect run if you ask me.

One popular male and one popular female, have a ton of looks or hasn't had an update in a while, or can subvert the cost of a certain $30+ set of minimates, lol.

Edited by Zexion_Armando

I like the idea of a Best of X set. But you know you can't have an X-men set without Wolverine. I nominate the TRU wave 2/ Marvel Heroes box set version (Jim Lee generic X-men uniform.) It's pricey these days, and I could see multiple purchases by folks who want to make Forge, Banshee, and Gambit in that outfit.
And Kitty with extra parts to make first appearance Shadowcat would be swell (scarf, sword, serious face, alt hair.)

Cyclops/Jean or Phoenix (Cyclops could have his classic all blue outfit or any other outfit with an Optic Blast visor from AvX, and Phoenix could have Marvel Girl or an Updated Dark Phoenix)

Emma/ Magneto (I'd love an updated White Queen look, plus it would be technically add another villain to this line, if not, Astonishing Diamond form, as for Magneto, I guess just the classic look with some new accessories like lifting a metal construct or something)

One popular male and one popular female, have a ton of looks or hasn't had an update in a while, or can subvert the cost of a certain $30+ set of minimates, lol.

I love this. I kind of feel a 90's Xmen wave or boxset coming soon. It's been far too long as far as blue and gold goes. I don't find myself personally in need of a magneto because I truly adore the MvC one. I guess my best of 3 sets would be somewhere in this area....

Cyclops and Jean

Gambit and Nightcrawler

Sue and maybe another Torch...but we just got two pretty decent mates of him...or take the route of some of the non-matching packs and throw in a classic Ghost Rider

Carnage and Doc Ock

I'm trying to keep in mind that these are well known characters and not just the ones I want. Storm is also a possibility, but I don't see the entire wave 3 going to Xmen. I do want to see it lean more towards Xmen, though, since the past two have swung away from them for the most part.

I like the idea of a Best of X set. But you know you can't have an X-men set without Wolverine. I nominate the TRU wave 2/ Marvel Heroes box set version (Jim Lee generic X-men uniform.) It's pricey these days, and I could see multiple purchases by folks who want to make Forge, Banshee, and Gambit in that outfit.

And Kitty with extra parts to make first appearance Shadowcat would be swell (scarf, sword, serious face, alt hair.)

Well, Wolverine was in Best of 1, so that would be redundant and a waste.

I love this. I kind of feel a 90's Xmen wave or boxset coming soon. It's been far too long as far as blue and gold goes. I don't find myself personally in need of a magneto because I truly adore the MvC one. I guess my best of 3 sets would be somewhere in this area....

Cyclops and Jean

Gambit and Nightcrawler

Sue and maybe another Torch...but we just got two pretty decent mates of him...or take the route of some of the non-matching packs and throw in a classic Ghost Rider

Carnage and Doc Ock

I'm trying to keep in mind that these are well known characters and not just the ones I want. Storm is also a possibility, but I don't see the entire wave 3 going to Xmen. I do want to see it lean more towards Xmen, though, since the past two have swung away from them for the most part.

Yeah, it we just got half of the wave devoted to X-men Id be happy.

I'd probably substitute Carnage for someone else though. like Red Skull or Mysterio.

One thing you want to remember about Best of Waves is that they're heavy on part re-use. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've seen any new pieces debut in a best of wave. I realize it's just wishlisting, but the classic Cyclops had the earmuff buttons on his visor. The AVX Cyclops does not, we would need a new piece.

I

Don't call me Zachy.

Greek Easter is in May?

>>What chu talkin bout butthead?

Don't call me butthead.

.......or Willis.

......... & if you are seriously querying my observation , feel free to ask me to elaborate .....or just bloody use your eyes.

Like Snow White I get grumpy sometimes ,my apologies for the harshness of the post........wink.png

.........that said , I'm actually quite proud of myself for starting this thread (there had to be one eventually) because it drew out a whole bundle of knowledge from justabout everywhere about a wave I even considered passing on blush.png & nobody seemed that fussed about.

My view is that there are enough reasons to keep a completist interested in these waves as well as fulfilling the demand of the target audience . Repaints are just fine by me ...I love them.... but I especially like the fact that the two figures I mentioned get new accessories . Loki gets that cape which works very well & although the Goblin isn't a patch on the Villains/Wave 2 TRU version he is a close second out of the 5 we've had & fits well within the concept of what I call a proper variant. These two waves are an excellent way to begin a collection .

Edited by buttheadsmate