UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel 'Best of ' wave

buttheadsmate

Chiming in on the all female idea...

There are only 5 X-Women that could remotely qualify, imo. Jean, Storm, Emma, Rogue & Mystique. The rest are all too secondary. That said, I feel like one of the hero girls and Mystique would make for the best 2 pack. None of the 4 hero girls is in dire need of an update, but Mystique definitely is. As someone mentioned, Jean's Dark Phoenix look could use an update, but that would be 2 villains, which seems... odd.

I feel Black Widow would be a lock, in this post Avengers world we now live.
I feel a Spider-Woman update, as others have suggested, would be very welcome.
Ms. Marvel could probably stand an update (she's one of those minimates on the cusp of old and new... doesn't need one badly, but couldn't hurt)

Gwen and Mary Jane both could use a non-movie update... though I don't think I like the idea of Civvies in a best of line.

Wasp is an iconic character who could stand an update (the one we have thus far isn't bad, but very retro)

I personally wouldn't say no to another go at She-Hulk... I know we just got the MvC3 one, but I didn't like her skin-tone. I'd like a lighter skinned update, like the original She-Hulk minimate, or the bulked up hulk we got in Best of wave 2.

Edited by Gillbob316

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, lets think about this logically. First of all, I'm betting that chances of an all female wave are slim to none. Right up there with an all villains wave. We all think they're cool, but do they sell? Probably not. That being said, I'll play. Wave 1 had 2 baddies and 6 heroes. Wave 2 had 4 1/2 heroes and 3 1/2 baddies. So I don't think that half and half is a bad split, though with women, the more iconic, the better. Also, remember that these are Best Of, not "figure needs an update!" and the first wave had very subtle changes. So no need for the "We just got those!" complaints. *stares hard at self*

Pack 1. Mystique/Jean. Mystique is a no brainer. But the only Jean we really need is Dark Phoenix. Do we really want two bad girls in the same pack? IDK.

Pack 2. Black Widow/Wasp. Two high profile Avengers figures. Wasp could include a crap tone of accessories to switch out her costumes like before. Perhaps an EMH inspired one? biggrin.png

Pack 3. Black Cat/Elektra. Elektra just had a new figure. So did Black Cat for that matter. I'll be first in line to say they both sucked. If Elektra doesn't win worst figure next week I'll be surprised. And as much as I'd love to see a Fall From Grace white version, Elektra looks best in Red. And Black Cat could use a shiny pearlescent look as well. They both could.

Pack 4. Sue Storm/She Hulk. Now hear me out. I know we don't need a Shulk, but these are the most iconic characters. And after the amazing wave 2, I think we may have a chance at getting a de-powered Jennifer Walters. In a green business dress perhaps?

Elektra should be out of contention for worst mate since she wasn't released in 2012. It wasn't a bad mate at all, but YMMV. I agree the "Claws/HFH" Black Cat sucked, if she gets redone it should be based on the Dodson's artwork. Not important enough to be in a best of wave though.

And I doubt a cartoon Wasp would ever be made. It doesn't match any looks from the comics. If EMH mates ever get the green light, which they won't since the series is ending, they should be in their own line, not mixed in with the regular MU stuff. If Wasp gets a redo, it should be her black and yellow costume she wore right up until Secret Invasion. It's probably her most iconic look and it holds the record for costume worn the longest period of time by her.

And I doubt a cartoon Wasp would ever be made. It doesn't match any looks from the comics. If EMH mates ever get the green light, which they won't since the series is ending, they should be in their own line, not mixed in with the regular MU stuff. If Wasp gets a redo, it should be her black and yellow costume she wore right up until Secret Invasion. It's probably her most iconic look and it holds the record for costume worn the longest period of time by her.

Yes, but do you remember the first Wasp we got? She had enough pieces to make 3 iconic looks. They could do the same here. I agree her yellow/black look is her most recent and iconic. But an extra hair piece, some bare arms and a skirt and you have a facsimile of her EMH look. Clearly she needs her black and yellow costume to be her most important. But include other costumes is my point.

Not important enough to be in a best of wave though.

Run.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Yes, but do you remember the first Wasp we got? She had enough pieces to make 3 iconic looks. They could do the same here. I agree her yellow/black look is her most recent and iconic. But an extra hair piece, some bare arms and a skirt and you have a facsimile of her EMH look. Clearly she needs her black and yellow costume to be her most important. But include other costumes is my point.

Not important enough to be in a best of wave though.

Run.

No.

She's not in movies.

She's never sustained a solo series.

If they need to put a "femme fatale" in a Best Of wave, Widow's ahead of her on the list (for now).

She's a popular character but you gotta be realistic.

A Black Cat in a TRU wave or a box set? Sure. Best Of? No.

I'm not going to sit here making pro and con points like some needy fanboy. If the character is strong enough to speak for herself, she will. Otherwise her writers need to be fired. I could point out her two solo titles, Claws 1 and 2, her stint on the new Defenders, Heroes for Hire, and both Dodson runs, as well as over 200 issues, but that's not important. Nor is the fact that she was doing her cat bugler thing for almost a decade before Cat Woman stole her shtick in Miller's Year One. That isn't the issue either. The roster is.

Start naming female superheroes. Go ahead. Any of them.

Now stop. How many did you get? 20? Maybe 30?

Now, how many of those can a 6 year old boy name? Or your mother? Or a guy who hasn't read comics in 30 years, wanders into the store and picks up a pack of Best Of Minimates on an impulse buy?

Powerpuff Girls makes an outstanding point of this in the episode Equal Fights. Femme Fatale brings the issue to a head.

tumblr_ld6pe3K70t1qd3poio1_1280_zpsbf3fe

Now cut what's left in half, because we're dealing with Marvel, not DC. So Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl, Cat Woman, Poison Ivy and Harley are all out. So are Witchblade, Mercy Sparx, Empowered, Atom Eve and Lara Croft.

Now, how many are left that you rambled off? 4? 6?

I'm not saying Black Cat is an A list heroine. Even as an ardent supporter, I'd have to rank her a B at best, though some would argue a strong C. No, I love her but like you said, she's popular but you have to be realistic.

But, she has the appeal. See has the face and name. And we have 8 slots to fill, that aren't going to go to TRU, that aren't spots designed to fill our collections, but are made to be instantly recognizable, as a grab for people who are at worst not Minimate fans and at best not comic book readers.

Does Black Cat have the recognition to be in the top 10 of an all female wave? Yes, she does. A regular Best Of wave? Most likely not, though I'd like to think so.

If anything this is a reason why we'll never seen an all female or an all villains wave of Minimates, let alone a Best Of. Still, here's hopin. smile.png

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I get annoyed when people use the "well they are just girl versions of the men" argument to say that there are no popular female character. I dont think Batwomans fame comes from Bruce Wayne, same goes for Ms Marvel and Spiderwoman

And I would argue that the truly unique and independent female characters don't have fame. Like Batwoman. Yes, great character, great story, the average person doesn't know who she is.

But I agree. X or Y chromosomes do not character traits make. This is't 90's children's television. You can't have White Guy, Black Guy, Asian, Woman, and Cripple any more. It's just... ridiculous. Something I will spend my life fighting.

EDIT: and my PPG reference was more to illustrate the inability to name popular female superheroes, rather than just "They're no good." That's like saying Danika Patrick isn't a good driver because she's a woman.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I get annoyed when people use the "well they are just girl versions of the men" argument to say that there are no popular female character. I dont think Batwomans fame comes from Bruce Wayne, same goes for Ms Marvel and Spiderwoman

I'd agree with Ms. Marvel merely because she seems to outshine Captain Marvel in most regards. I think she actually gets MORE exposure than he does... generally speaking. The whole history of backstory with Rogue helps. As does the fact that there have been a half dozen Captain Marvels (Including her) which gives none of them much room to shine like say a PETER PARKER or BRUCE WAYNE! I honestly couldn't even give you one of their name's off the top of my head... something alieny... I know that much. She however, is Carol Danvers.

I do however think Batwoman and Spider-Woman's fame... in a mainstream sense... is just as female versions of Batman and Spider-Man... if it even exists at all.

We, as comic book geeks, know that they're very different characters who have little to do with Spidey or Bats, but the general public doesn't.

I run into lots of people who ask things like, "Why does Spider-Woman look nothing like Spider-Man" "Is she his wife?" "Is she Mary-Jane?" ... Indeed I imagine the reason we see Spider-Girl (who isn't even a 616 character) in more merchandising than Spider-Woman, is because "Spider-Woman" has less mainstream appeal than "Girl Spider-Man" Not to mention she suffers from the same "multiple identity" trouble that Captain Marvel does... but Marvel, in recent years, has more solidly pushed Jessica in the role, and distanced or renamed other Spider-Women, like Arachne... so that helps.

Batwoman I see no mainstream appeal at all in. Most people don't know the classic one exists. Most people only saw the modern one in headlines for a while as "DC's New Gay Character!" ... after that she kind of fell to the media backburner. Again indeed, Batwoman has less mainstream appeal than "Girl Batman" (IE. Batgirl)

At the end of the day, characters like Spider-Woman and Batwoman AREN'T famous... is what I'm driving at. To comic book geeks, certainly, but not to the rest of the world.

They get overshadowed on store shelves by characters that ARE closer to just girl versions of their male counterparts. Spider-Girl is a far far far less deserving and less relevant character to the Marvel Universe than Spider-Woman, but she gets alot more exposure on general public merchandise (Children's Toys, Coloring Books, Sexy Halloween Costumes) just because she's: Girl Spider-Man (and Spider-Woman isn't)

Edited by Gillbob316

Nice to meet you too! smile.png

As for the "why", I was raised on Silver Age Marvel. Now, don't get me wrong, I really dig the "Byrne era" costumes from series 48... but something about the classic blue duds always speaks to me.

To round out the team in a classic way, I use:

- Johnny (TRU 15)

- Ben (TRU 15) (swapping his legs and crotch cover for the ones that came with series 37 Thing so he'll have the blue/black underoos)

- Sue (2005 convention exclusive) (but with the arms from TRU 6 "Stretch Attack Mr. Fantastic". That way, no bulky black gloves!)

Sure, the blue doesn't completely match between Reed, Sue and Ben's underoos... but it's close enough for me. Now, hopefully, we'll get an updated "classic" Sue within the next year (crosses fingers for "Best of" series 3). But until then, this works great for me! smile.png

Edited by Mystery Man

Got my Hulk and Venom sets today, I love them both (even DD is starting to grow on me) However, I did have to fix Bruce Banner's head a little

The tape holding the head in place took some of the paint away from it:

BannerTray_zps966a028e.jpg

Those small black dots? Those are part of his eye, but a fine point sharpie later and he looks pretty normal again

BannerHead_zps5b0fee8e.jpg

Edited by Shogi

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to meet you too! smile.png

As for the "why", I was raised on Silver Age Marvel. Now, don't get me wrong, I really dig the "Byrne era" costumes from series 48... but something about the classic blue duds always speaks to me.

To round out the team in a classic way, I use:

- Johnny (TRU 15)

- Ben (TRU 15) (swapping his legs and crotch cover for the ones that came with series 37 Thing so he'll have the blue/black underoos)

- Sue (2005 convention exclusive) (but with the arms from TRU 6 "Stretch Attack Mr. Fantastic". That way, no bulky black gloves!)

Sure, the blue doesn't completely match between Reed, Sue and Ben's underoos... but it's close enough for me. Now, hopefully, we'll get an updated "classic" Sue within the next year (crosses fingers for "Best of" series 3). But until then, this works great for me! smile.png

I'd like to add Cyclops in his Classic Blue and Gold with an Optic Blast visor to that Best of 3 wish list :)

Cyclops really belongs in any future Best Of wave: that costume is his best known look; it hasn't been made in ages; and it's unlikely to show up in a future regular wave because it's so out of date. Marvel Girl or Dark Phoenix would probably be my choice to pair with him, but this could also be a spot for those X-villains you all love so much.