UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walking Dead Minimates!

funkguerilla

October 2012 : WD TRU wave 1 released ,exclusive sets sold-out within a couple of days.

December 2012 : WD TRU wave 2 released ,exclusive sets sold-out within a couple of days.

March 2013 : The vast majority of both waves' non-exclusive sets remain where they were delivered.

Anybody spot a problem ?

WD TRU wave 3 will follow the same strategy of 2 short-packed exclusives with double the quantity of the non-exclusive sets which are shared with LCS.

Anybody now not spotting the problem ?

The scariest scenario is that TRU.com (specifically) may see Walking Dead Minimates as a failure when in fact their own marketing strategy is .

Edited by buttheadsmate

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope Carl doesn't end up as an exclusive, either at TRU or comic stores. I think he's likely to be the most popular figure in the whole line, since I'm sure a lot of customizers will be snapping him up to get the smaller arms and legs. Some of us have Power Pack customs to make!

THIS! A million times this! Make Carl a shared pack between TRU & specialty, with either different zombies between each retailer or an army-builder type.

I plan on buying a bunch of Carls for the smaller body for other customs and I knew I wasn't alone!

I've learned (especially in the past few years) that distribution is different everywhere. Case in point, around here, the exclusives for series 2 sat around for a little bit (a couple of weeks, maybe a full month) and now there's only two packs left (both Sailor Zombies) I personally saw at least 3 sets of wave 1 exclusives in the stores.

Now if I were to complain about ANY minimate wave not being in my area for very long, it would be the Avengers movie wave, it showed up once stayed for a short while, then was gone forever. I've seen more Walking Dead minimates than I have Avengers minimates. Then there's the box sets which are never stocked at either of the two TRU's near me (With the exception of the first Expendables 2 set, that one was the first box set I ever saw at TRU and since it looks like only one set was sold between the two stores, I kinda doubt I'll see any more box sets ever again)

Now I'm sure some other TRU's around the nation saw a lot more Avengers sets and just based on the "show me your store" thread, I can definitely see that box sets are sold at TRU stores. So while some Walking Dead sets may be shelfwarming in abundance in one store, doesn't mean they didn't sell through 3 full cases at another store

BHM, I think you definitely have a different perspective, since you regularly visit TRU.com but can't buy TRU figures in stores (I'm sorry, by the way). A quick sell-out online is obviously unfortunate, but the brick and mortar aspect cannot be ignored. TRU wants exclusives to drive traffic to physical stores as well as the Website, hence "Sold in Stores" on sold-out items. And as Shogi points out, not every store gets the same amount, or sells them as fast, so a sell-out online doesn't necessarily mean a sell-out at retail. BUT if a customer has to visit TRU a few times (or visit a few TRUs) to find what they want, I can't imagine TRU is upset.

And exclusives selling out while shared packs hang around is how it's been for every series of Marvel Minimates I've ever seen on TRU.com. And we're on TRU Series 16, so I can't imagine TWD following the same pattern is sending up any red flags over there. If anything, I assume we're selling more of the shared TWD packs than we are Marvel, which means they're hopefully happy.

Everything I say in regards to TRU.com is carefully crafted & I merely seek to be constructive although I fully understand that much of what I say could be construed as negative & unfortunately disrespectful. I am especially careful to be accurate when I quote statistics or point an accusatory finger .....in this last case..... at TRU.com specifically . I appreciate that this a branch off of the same tree but the strategy that works in a brick & mortar doesn't work with the online store. I base that comment on what I read on the MMMV & what I see in the TRU.com inventory .We may only be a cross-section of a much larger fan-base but I get the feeling that many people here have despaired at successfully finding exclusives online & thenceforth given up looking for most everything else ....the last comment is my personal observation & may not be accurate ! Once the habit of buying from an online store is broken I,personally, move on but in this instance I have little choice unless I go back to the scenario where I relied on the generosity of fellow-members . I'm happy to swallow my pride but I quite like doing my own thing * so TRU.com is a god-send to me despite its failings.

When Walking Dead Minimates were announced I decided on my own personal strategy of how I would collect them because I knew that this was the line that might very well be the one to break out . I'll take the opportunity of thanking Luke for supplying me with my LCS god-cases which set the bar for what I was going to buy from TRU.com ......when Wave 1 hit TRU.com I bought the exclusives & the non-exclusives sets (again) merely to ensure that I was going to get the exclusives. Those wondering what the hell I did that for has a short memory . When Wave 2 hit TRU.com I thought things would settle down, I couldn't have been more wrong .......let's just say that I know what I ordered from TRU.com but I sure as hell didn't get what I asked for. That's been a bit of a blessing for some because I've been able to fill a few holes in a few 'want lists' once again but the true level of the farce that I encountered is almost unbelievable.....like u-n-b-e-l-i-e-v-a-b-l-e .....

*but please keep helping thumbsup.gif

I didn't think you were being negative or disrespectful, BHM, just that you were unhappy with the sell-out situation and that you thought the system was inherently flawed.

Whether the in-store plan works just as well online, where people can just buy all the exclusives, maybe not. And the UPC code mix-ups aren't helping things at all. But I don't see it changing any time soon. And I believe TRU is happy overall with how things are going.

Nothing but a Michonne pack and several of the sailor zombie packs left at my local TRU.

This.

And as far as TRU.com is concerned, I think BHM is correct, the B&M cases/strategy doesn't work. I can't see that online has the same casual/impulse purchase appeal as a B&M store. Especially with TRU, where half the time a simple search does not result in the desired... results.

I do not have any idea if it would work, but TRU.com needs at minimum "god" cases, with the 3-3-3-3 break down. Ideally the online break down would be flipped from the B&M cases: 2 each of the shared packs and 4 each if the exclusives. Having two different break downs would still encourage the frequent trips to TRU, but would split the sales online: collectors (and, unfortunately, scalpers) would be able to snag the exclusives to supplement LCS purchases and the "casual" fan would still be able to order a full set. Instead of the case now, where the online exclusives are snapped up immediately and everyone has a hard time finding them.

Now, this idea only works if TRU can figure out that they would be receiving two different pack-outs. I could easily see them mixing the cases up and creating all out confusion :P Kind of like they do now :yes:

I will say that I have been fortunate with finding this line at B&M stores, and Minimates in general, with the exception of the current Marvel wave. But, I have a hard time picking up more than one extra of each shard pack at TRU, and I need try to obtain at least 5 of each exclusive to help out fellow collectors.

Thanks for listening, Zach et all. :D

Edited by Onyx_6

Specialty assortments are three evenly-packed sets and a one-per-case variant; it's the way we've done it with lots of lines, and there's not many other ways to do it -- unless we do a fourth set or even-pack the variants and go 4-4-2-2, as we have with other lines.

So the TWD heavy packs are really heavy packs by default. But at TRU, heavy packs are heavy packs for a reason. They're usually the most high-profile characters or (in this case) army-builders. That's why, when short-packs sell out, what's left is still hypothetically sellable to a casual buyer.

We may occasionally mix it up -- Series 4 will see Bruce and Gabe replaced by zombies at TRU -- but the system is what works. When a short pack hangs around at TRU, we know that one isn't selling very well. So far, that hasn't happened with TWD.

And as far as the case assortments working at TRU.com, it may not work for you guys, but it must be working for TRU, because we'd change it if they asked. This way, online shoppers can buy some figures, but to get them all, they may need to visit a brick-and-mortar store -- a key part of TRU's business.

Apologies to people without TRUs or who live outside of North America. You may not be aware, but TRU faces stiff competition from big-box stores.

While I strongly dislike *every* store that makes you require a visit to their brick-and-mortar store, I'm still grateful for TRU's partnership with DST.

The reason every store does this is the high percentage chance you will buy something else in addition to what you intended to buy in the first place, which is why stores like Wal Mart have several low-price items but then are not competitive on a lot of other items.

My solution is to use my TRU rewards card (since they track purchases) ONLY when I'm buying minimates, and pay cash on the rare chance I get anything else there. Their rewards card is now such a joke (last I checked it was $5 back for every $150 spent, but I believe that's now gone up to over every $200+ spent - all in an effort to sign up for their TRU credit card for better benefits which I refuse to do), and their in-store markups don't make the rewards worthwhile.

I ONLY buy TRU exclusives at TRU, everything else I generally buy online or at Target for other lines. I've picked up the occasional shared 2-pack of minimates from TRU like an army-builder zombie pack, but their Marvel waves are all exclusive so it works out well for me.

But my point is that I let TRU know by scanning my rewards card I'm only walking in their door for Minimates. They can go F themselves for their exceedingly high prices on their Lego stuff (hint: even their exclusives are cheaper on Lego.com!) and their markup on everything else they carry.

I'm really happy that TRU and DST is happy. I agree with the others here that there are still issues getting the product to us that we want without so much hassle, but it is always easier to track down an elusive minimate compared to one that was never made! I wish the distribution was different, but thanks to TRU & DST that these exist in the first place!

I haven't had any issues tracking down the TRU exclusives from Wave 1 or Wave 2 and I bought multiples to help out other people. I will agree that the TRU.com online system sucks though. Those TRU exclusives sell out super fast! Are the scalpers eating them up or are there just not that many available to begin with.

Hello all. I am new to walking dead minimates I started with only tv figures than comic too than mini michonne variants and now expanded into the minimates... I do not have any what should i expect to pay for each and where is my best best to get these "rares" rick variant, shane, morgan, & of course from what seems to bee the rarest Glenn... anyone have a whole set they would sell me :) make my life easy if not I will have to hunt and overpay! lol thanks in advance for any replies and or sellers!

Kris

Zach, your awesome (buttering him up ;) ) can you give us an update on when we can expect Carl Grimes. He's my most anticipated minimate!!!

Edited by zakkatz