UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Greatest 'Mates

DSTZach

In my opinion The Best minimate ever made is "Marty Mcfly" from the first boxset. with one foot up on his board, there isn't another minimate that looks better. The attention to detail, his face, the paint application, the rolled up sleeves, the sneakers, etc....

Now.... my "favorite" mate is harder to figure out.

For me, four stand out as the best

-Bucky Cap

-Green Lantern Hal

-TRU Silver Surfer

-DR. Fate

again, this is only my personal opinion, not disagreeing with what anyone else has said.

Edited by Nervous

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion The Best minimate ever made is "Marty Mcfly" from the first boxset. with one foot up on his board, there isn't another minimate that looks better. The attention to detail, his face, the paint application, the rolled up sleeves, the sneakers, etc....

He's definitely one of my favorites, but I'm personlly not a fan of that face. If the stock figure had been given this face, he would probably be way higher up my list:

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=556&n=Detention+Marty

Fortunately, it's a pretty damn easy mod.

Detention Marty always irked me. Not because he was a bad figure (to be honest, it's a great representation), but because i was really hoping to see a Clara minimate from the box-set. I know it's not a hard and fast rule, but i like the idea of getting a character we'd not see otherwise (Jewel/Thunderbird/Meggan/Karma etc) being included. Clara was that character for BTTF III.

Toss up between Uncanny X-Force Archangel or Secret Wars Symbiote Bond Spiderman for me.

Those wings! :wub:

Edited by Nessex

While far from my favorite character and not even my favorite mate, I think Wave 6 Iron Man is the best Minimate of all time. He was the perfect balance of additional pieces and basic Minimate design. The new hand made him super fun to pose and thus showed off the point of having 21 points of articulation within a 2 inch figure.

Hmm I have to go with

Kang then then whole Wrecking Crew Boxset...wait I must have been dreaming about those mates, I'll have to cut back on the strong cheese.

Really its a hard pick for me.

Wave 2 Spidey, just a nice simple design.

Carnage, One mate that stands up to the more design heavy mates of later waves.

Iron Man Movie Mates, The armours really captured the movie.

Dr Strange, everyone's already hit on what makes this a standout mate.

Gambit, another really good figure in a great wave.

Green Goblin From the Villains boxset, A real menacing look to this figure. I would go with the Goblin with the glider but he just don't have the menace of the boxset one.

Hmm, as far as favorites go my first love is the marvel stuff (love ALL of it) but my personal favorites are the classic Battlestar Galactica sets both of these were killer both the Colonial and Cylon packs were great and honestly I am real sorry I didn't buy a few extra Colonial sets so I could do some army building. I also love the classic Star Trek stuff (I've gone way over board with army building these making random crew members) an Star Trek Aliens box set out of nowhere would be most welcome to this area of my collection (just sayin')as for favorites its a toss up between classic Cylons and the 3 inch Mugato

Edited by BannersID

Some of the "perfect" mates in my eyes:

-Amazing Fantasy & Disney Store Classic Spideys

-Champions Ghost Rider

-the new Nightcrawler

-the poncho version of Man With No Name

-World of the Psychic Venkman (no really -- the best Murray likeness AND a hairless cat!)

-the Spideys in the Spider-Man 3 debut 2-pack

And, like everyone else, Doc Strange...

This is all great stuff, guys. Thanks! Marvel is getting a lot of love, but I guess that's mathematically appropriate. No BSG fans?

Anything RGB knocking anyone's socks off?

24?

Marvel Minimates rule the roost; I'm sure a lot of us are comics fans that got into Minimates because of Marvel (and DC). I'm actually surprised we haven't had any Star Trek mentions, particularly the Borg.

BSG didn't do it for me. I liked the show, but I don't think any of the likenesses are particularly accurate. Frankly, some of my least favorite 'mates are BSG, and they've mostly served as custom fodder for me. Favorite would probably be Miniseries Gaius.

I have no connection to RGB, so they don't do much for me. Nice sculpts and designs, though.

Jack Bauer's one of the best "real people" 'mates you guys ever did, but otherwise 24 is largely forgettable.

Upon thinking further, the Series 2 Spider-Man was the end-all, be-all for me until the Amazing Fantasy version came out. And then the Heroic Age Classic boxed set Spidey came out and that was perfecto for the classic red/blue costume.

Ghostbusters stuff is fantastic, but it's hard to choose just *one* of "the Guys".

Most of my favorite 'mates are the ones that haven't gotten multiple versions. Mysterio, Dr. Strange, Vision, AIM guys.

The Universal Monsters are fantastic to, seeing as how I'm a "monster kid" from birth. Frankenstein and Dracula are the current "faves", but they'll be deposed once the Mummy and _______?_______ come out next year.

I think, yeah, I think MINIMATES are my favorites. I think that at the end of the day, Zach, that's the best answer. :)

This is all great stuff, guys. Thanks! Marvel is getting a lot of love, but I guess that's mathematically appropriate. No BSG fans?

Anything RGB knocking anyone's socks off?

24?

I was a big fan of BSG, and 24... but I'm afraid (as hellpop pointed out) they just didn't do it for me as minimates, just fairly generic civilian types. Don't worry... I still bought lots of them!

hellpop also mentioned Star Trek, the original crew and a selection of villains we got are wonderful mates, and make a great display, but I really couldn't single one out... in fact, I think my favourite Trek mate is Jean Luc.

I've got all the movie Ghostbusters stuff, and really love them. I just couldn't justify getting the cartoon stuff. They are fun and bright, but I don't really remember many of the specific ghosts, and I'm not hugely keen on how far they've strayed from the basic design (although... lets not go there again just now!). Also, despite having loved the cartoon as a very young boy, having watched it recently, it really doesn't hold up well, which was pretty devastating.

While I do buy a lot of different minimate lines, I'd never have even picked up my first set in 2007 if either of the DC or Marvel lines didn't exist. First and foremost, I'm all about the capes, and having a product that included both companies was too good to pass up... casually strolling around my LCS and seeing DCD waves 1 & 2, those bright and beautifully detailed figures, alongside the (albeit not so impressive) Spidey 5-pack. A few minutes gawping and a short walk home later, I was ripping them open to have Batman and Robin team up with Spidey to take down Venom and the Penguin.

Magnificent

It is 'amusing' to think how much I've spent on DST over the last few years, and in a way that is all thanks to DCD.

... I've rambled completely off topic, for shame. Favourite/greatest minimate of all time? For me, DCD Wave 1 Batman, no contest.

honourable mentions...

DCD - Robin, Superman

Marvel - 90s Cyclops, wave 41 Hulk, classic Heroic Thor and Cap

movie GBs

Trek - Picard

Zombie surgeon

and while I'm not really into Westerns, the trilogy figures had some incredibly well sculpted parts, v.impressive pieces.

Dj, DC Minimates had a huge influence on me too, since I've always been a DC guy. I'd bought a few Marvel ones, but I think I just had the old Iron Man/Doom and Cap/Absorbing Man packs. But once I saw those DC ones, and I realized that I could have both Marvel and DC characters in the same figure line, and then I realized that I could take that Batman head from underneath that mask and stick it on a Gaius Baltar body and, hey, I've got Bruce Wayne too, well, I was all-in. Man, Minimates are great. :wub:

RGB......I don't actually have too many 'mates on display in my house,that said,the one Minimate that always gets the love from non-Minimaters is Stay Puft,everybody wants him .Everybody.

BSG.....Dead Six is probably the unlikeliest Minimate ever made & a personal favourite whilst TRU Waves 1 & 2 rival anything as the best quality Minimates ever made.

Marvel....first Deadpool,Strange,Valkyrie,Iron Patriot,Symbiote.

I never cared much for BSG, either, though I did enjoy the show. I just don't think that relatively boring looking civilian-ish (and largely folks in military dress) figures play to the strength of Minimates. Even the guys in flight suits look pretty drab and boring. The Cylons are a'aight, but I'm not a fan of overly sculpted Minimates myself, so something like that is not going very high up my list. Just not much for me personally with that license.

RGB, on the other hand, play perfectly into the strength of Minimates. They are colorful, fun, and recognizable. And the sculpted ghosts look fantastic, though again, not what I like best about Minimates. My only real quibble, again, is the use of bulky chests instead of going the Janine route. I know you can take their chests off and that they have tampos on their chest blocks, but you would have to buy 4 extra Janine figures just to give them proton packs (and that's a lot of scratch considering the cost of Minimates nowadays). Bulky is good when necessary or appropriate, it this isn't the case for the Ghostbusters and it holds them back from reaching their potential in my opinion.

Edited by karamazov80

Wave 28 Gambit all the way

If there was a fire and I could only save 5 of my minimates it would be

Gambit

Wave 28 Deadpool

Wave 6 Iron Man (he reminds me the most of my Secret Wars figure I had as a kid)

Wave 5 Captain America (just love that first one)

SDCC Gold Battle Beast Gator (I adored my Battle Beasts as a kid so once again nostalgia)

But I hate thinking about that scenario because I would probably actually end up burning to death as I tried to save all my minimates because there are simply way to many amazing minimates to only save a few or create a lasting unchanging favorites list.

So many great mates have already been named, so I'll just call out a few of my favorites that I don't think we've mentioned. One of my first was Storm from the old Target 2 pack with Cyclops or GSX boxset. I still think she looks great! I also think that Warlock, Hobgoblin and Black Bolt were very well done. Another favorite from DC is Blue Beatle. I always liked that costume as a kid and love the minimate's goggles. One thing that makes minimates, especially in the Marvel line, so awesome is that we get characters like Stiltman, Mariko, Hand Ninjas, Magik, Photon, Lockjaw and Spymaster. Even when they're not done perfectly, they're still cool. In a line with this many different figures, there are suprisingly few total misses in my opinion. That's espcially true when you consider the cost of minimates compared to other lines. I wouldn't even consider spending $10-15 on a 6" figure for some of these more obscure characters or costumes that I'm more than happy to spend $4-5 on for a minimate. I have confidence we'll eventually see most the ones still obviously missing in the line...Alpha Flight, Toad, Dazzler, Forge, Baron Zemo, Man-Wolf and of course Kang to name a few...any one of which might become the new greatest. If they make a Spider-Ham I might have a definite #1.

...Anything RGB knocking anyone's socks off?

Mine for sure! I love all the RGB mates, the whole line is a dream come true for a Ghosthead like me. I've always wanted to see ghosts from the show in toy form (besides Slimer & Stay Puft of course) and they've really knocked the ball out of the court with these mates. Can't wait to get the anti-busters in January (or whenever they get released)