UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man) concept art revealed!

youbastards

Yaknow where they could go with Miles if this whole "New Spidey" thing doesn't pan out for the Ultimate Universe? End the story with him as Ultimate Toxin. From what I've seen of him he'd work for that character mildly well and Toxin is a morbidly underused character in the Marvel Universe so far. Poor lil guy...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His design for the Green Goblin beat the pure hell outta what was in the movie too, as I recall.

What? The Power Ranger look didn't work for you?

The minimate itself is good. The character is terrible.

"He's black! And mexican! And probably gay! Crossover appeal!"

This. I tried making that point on a Marvel FB post once, got called racist. Pick one; using all 3 sounds a little insulting that he's OBVIOUSLY meant to be a minority posterboy. It's annoying and a sad misuse of potential.

I DO like the design though, i'll give Marvel that much. It works as the "new Spidey" and looks very snazzy as a mate. Wish he didn't have the slip-on and had an alternate head instead, but whadaya gonna do.

Carnage, demogoblin, shriek, doppelganger = maximum carnage box set....... Nuff said

This has to be pretty close to No. 1 on my 'Box-Sets: Most Wanted' list.

A remake of a (very) early minimate; 3 Brand new villains; a female character. Heck - chuck can even pass Doppelganger off as a 'Spidey Variant'. EVERYBODY WINS!!!!!

That Goblin design was infinitely better than the movie design, and would have played to Willem Dafoe's strengths as an actor (rent Shadow of the Vampire) if you don't believe me. And I am no fan of Alex Ross usually.

Agreed! Why hire Willam Dafoe if you are not going to use his amazingly characteristic and creepy face?!?!?

The minimate itself is good. The character is terrible.

"He's black! And mexican! And probably gay! Crossover appeal!"

This. I tried making that point on a Marvel FB post once, got called racist. Pick one; using all 3 sounds a little insulting that he's OBVIOUSLY meant to be a minority posterboy. It's annoying and a sad misuse of potential.

I had a better written post, but apparently my computer didn't like it and shut down in protest :lol:

The gist of it was:

-The character's not gay, that came from some idiots in the press misinterpreting a Sara Pichelli quote about how great it'll be one day when a character is black and/or gay and nobody thinks it's something that needs to be discussed/anaylzed/criticized.

-Being mixed race is "picking one," and I don't really get how he'd be any more or less of a poster boy if he was just black or Puerto Rican.

-I also don't see how being any of these things makes the character terrible or has an effect on his potential? If you were asked to describe the character of Peter Parker I doubt you'd immediately say "He's white! And straight!" -- because he's a well-rounded character and there's about a million other things that are more important to who he is. There's no way to know whether Miles is a good character until you read some comics about him.

-As much as people assume this was a corporate decision about crossover appeal or creating a poster boy, there's also the fact that Bendis has kids who don't happen to be white, so maybe he just had some personal motivation in making the Ultimate New York look a little more like the real one.

I have zero issues with Marvel creating a mixed Black/Hispanic character, and they can even make him gay, if they are generally trying to draw in readers. There is a lot of very potential stories based on those aspects alone, but my problem is that they had to shoe-horn that character into 'Spider-man'.

If Miles Morales had been called by any other superhero name, no one would make a big deal, he wouldn't be on the news, but the fact he is now Spider-Man, a character with a very unique power-set and origin, it becomes a publicity stunt whether they meant it or not.

I would rather have seen 'the house of ideas' come up with a new marketable character that stands on his own merit with the potental to make a name of his/her own, rather than a wiki entry that will not exist 10 years from now.

Look, this is painful for me, okay? USM was the first comic book I ever read. I followed it for 133 issues. Then Ultimatum happened, right smack dab in the middle of a great story arc. They relaunch at #1. It wasn't the same. I tried reading it, but I didn't even get to the renumbering. I killed my LCS pull box when they announced Spidey's death in 150. I had no reason to go back. Here was a character I loved, that I grew up with and helped me to grow, that I could escape with. And Marvel drug him through the gutter just for money. And in the end, what happens? They give us a character that I don't know, don't care about, and have no desire to read, but they tell me that it's Spiderman. My Spiderman.

I don't care if you're white, black, gay or purple with polka dots. But do NOT sit there and pretend I like you when I don't even know you. If you wanted to build up so trust as a slowly introduced back character, fine. You want to play the Spidey 2099 game? Also fine. You want me to like you, give you my hard earned money, and read your boo for another 150 issues, just because you have the same name as my favorite character?

GTFO.

I don't have an issue with the character, I just think it could have been done better. Why not have him be Robbie Robertson's son or Ultimate Prowler so we at least have some knowledge of the character? I think why it annoys me is it is a publicity stunt. Not the half Black half Hispanic character, but the way they had to kill Peter Parker to do it. Why not let him just walk away from the costume like he's wanted to in the past, so we could have at least kept him as a supporting character in the boom while the new guy learns the ropes?

And Ultimatum is a disgusting book. I really, REALLY want to know what the hell Jeph Loeb said that made them think letting him destroy an entire universe of books he didn't even help create was a good idea.

I honestly dont care about the race of the new spiderman,but once i heard he was going to be an African 13 year old kid,i thought it was stupid,but only for one reason,we have an ultimate version of ben rielly who is also an African american! I just feel he should of been the first choice.Plus it would have made more sense character wise.

I have zero issues with Marvel creating a mixed Black/Hispanic character, and they can even make him gay, if they are generally trying to draw in readers. There is a lot of very potential stories based on those aspects alone, but my problem is that they had to shoe-horn that character into 'Spider-man'.

If Miles Morales had been called by any other superhero name, no one would make a big deal, he wouldn't be on the news, but the fact he is now Spider-Man, a character with a very unique power-set and origin, it becomes a publicity stunt whether they meant it or not.

I would rather have seen 'the house of ideas' come up with a new marketable character that stands on his own merit with the potental to make a name of his/her own, rather than a wiki entry that will not exist 10 years from now.

I get what you're saying, but my only issue with this argument is that I don't think Spider-Man is a character. It's a costume/name worn by Peter Parker (and alternately Ben Reilly and Miguel O'Hara). So Miles is the new marketable character. The problem with introducing him with a brand new costumed identity is that all comics sales are in the toilet and any new superhero characters (black, white, whatever) just don't sell enough to last long. So if you want a superhero population that's a bit more representative of the readership you have to retrofit some of the all-white cast introduced in the '60s. Since Marvel isn't full of sidekicks and legacy characters like DC, the best place for that to happen is the Ultimate U.

Look, this is painful for me, okay? USM was the first comic book I ever read. I followed it for 133 issues. Then Ultimatum happened, right smack dab in the middle of a great story arc. They relaunch at #1. It wasn't the same. I tried reading it, but I didn't even get to the renumbering. I killed my LCS pull box when they announced Spidey's death in 150. I had no reason to go back. Here was a character I loved, that I grew up with and helped me to grow, that I could escape with. And Marvel drug him through the gutter just for money. And in the end, what happens? They give us a character that I don't know, don't care about, and have no desire to read, but they tell me that it's Spiderman. My Spiderman.

I don't care if you're white, black, gay or purple with polka dots. But do NOT sit there and pretend I like you when I don't even know you. If you wanted to build up so trust as a slowly introduced back character, fine. You want to play the Spidey 2099 game? Also fine. You want me to like you, give you my hard earned money, and read your boo for another 150 issues, just because you have the same name as my favorite character?

GTFO.

The timeline as I've heard it (but who knows really) is that Bendis had plotted out Peter's death, then was told Marvel wanted a replacement to follow, and he came up with Miles; not that he killed Peter to bring someone else in. Ultimatum was ridiculous, I liked the Peter storyline to the end, but it sucks you weren't feeling it Dino. I certainly wasn't trying to say you have to read this book, just that that's the only way to really judge whether the character works in his own right.

You mention the clone saga, TM2. In that I understand what you're saying. When the idea was floated that the only Spider-Man I really remembered reading about (I barely remember reading the original clone story when it came out) wasn't really Spider-Man, I had a similar reaction. It took me a long while before I could go back and re-read those stories with fresh eyes and see Ben Riely was a worthwhile character who didn't deserve to be killed off just to try to restore the old status quo. (the fact that the stories right after sucked worse than the Clone Saga helped)

I think the main reason Ultimatum sucked was the same reason the Clone Saga, and the whole recent Spidey reboot were also hard to swallow: They were the product of editorial fiat, not organic storytelling. They didn't "let" Loeb destroy UM, they told him too. UM, in editorials opinion, had come to too closely resemble the 616 and they needed to fix that and Loeb was their hitman. Just like the two Spidey stories I mentioned came into being for the express purpose of un-marrying Spider-Man.

I heard the same thing that BC did, that Bendis always planned to kill Peter and "end" the story at some point, and Miles is the editorial requested change in the plan. Doesn't make it easier for you, I know.

• 1 month later...

So the first full look at the new Scarlet Spider has been seen. To me the design is a cross between the new Ult Spidey (Miles) and Spidey Unlimited.

costume can be viewed here http://www.comicvine.com/kaine/29-8667/all-images/108-212217/scarlet_spider/105-2044176/

I will now sit back and await the ultra fast reveal of this as a minimate :)