UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Banks

There is a discussion happening on the DST Facebook page regarding unarticulated Minimate vinyl banks. We have discussed this across several threads here, and also in the recent chat with DST, but I thought it would be nice to have one central topic for discussion here, both for us and for DST. Also I know that not everyone here is on Facebook. So I think the main questions are:

1. Would you be interested in an unarticulated vinyl minimate bank, similar in size to the previous Minimates MAX statues?

2. DST said it could not be a licensed property - would you prefer to have a blank one (perhaps with a logo on the chest), or a character from Calico Jack / Minimates MAX heroes? Or both?

3. From the choices above, which do you think non-hardcore collectors would prefer?

1. Yes

2. Blank Bank

3.No idea. If I were good at predicting what would appeal to the general public, I'd be doing it for a living.

For the most part, I for one don't have much interest in an un-articulated item, but it just occurred to me that something like the Statue of Liberty as a large Minimate bank would be incredible and could work across several lines- MAX, Marvel, and GB. Of course, I say I'm not that interested, but I'd buy a blank bank with a logo from DST or, ahem, MMMV in a heart beat.

1. Yes

2. Blank. I'll admit the only reason I'd have any interest in a bank is the customizing value. Getting something that's branded - even if it's a great-looking pirate - has no appeal to me.

3. I have a feeling the blank banks would have little to no appeal outside of the hardcore collectors and customizers.

Edited by boyd

1. Not really interested, but I'll still say yes. :whistling:

2. If only one got released, I'd prefer blanks, but I'd buy whatever.

3. Lego, Kubricks, Mez-Itz, FunKo Pop! and other smaller sized figure lines have done over-sized versions of their characters successfully (at least so it seems), so there is a market for larger sized properties. But if you're looking for non-hardcore buying then you have to go with a property.

Can I say one reason I have been a supporter of the bank for a long time is because of the cost to produce. If DST can mass produce Stay Pufts, R2-D2 and Halo bust bank in the $20-$25 range, wouldn't a DST property cost less ot make since they own the property? I think it's plausible to see an eight inch blank bank retail for $20 and be successful. You could even package an exclusive inside to get more sales (similar to the cases that sold out in the first release). And beyond the customizing aspect, a bank would be a great centerpiece for a Minimate collection similar to the harder to find Maximate statues. Or I guess it could even be used as a bank if you really wanted. I just think this would be a successful venture and if I had a way to fund some I would do it in a heartbeat.

1. Yes (although I'd kill myself trying to figure out how to add articulation...)

2. I'd prefer blanks to giant pirates or SWAT officers.

3. I think it depends on how you spun it, and what you consider a "non-hardcore collector." If they're truly putting all their chips on the 7- to 12-year-old boy (slash decision-making-mom) category, then pirates or cops without question. But, I think there's an opportunity to target collectors/customizers/artists who aren't necessarily Minimate fans and still overlap with a kids' audience. If you market it like Munnys, blank Mighty Muggs, etc in the DIY art toy category, maybe package it with a set of markers or something, maybe put some cut-out weapons or accessories on the packaging, I think you could satisfy both audiences.

Edited by Lobsterman

Yes, I would buy a vinyl Minimate bank, regardless of the style.

However, if they released a basic white bank with the logo, I would buy multiples for customs!

I would be happy with something as basic as this:

MinimateBank.jpg

This would be great for customizers, and is a great representation of the minimate form.

1. Yes

2. Blank... or a characterized Pig with a top hat, tux, and a monocle.

3. I think it needs to be a variety of things. Pirates seems to be dwindling, zombies doesn't seem too appealing for kids, but it must appeal to 7-12 year olds (as Lobsterman stated). Something that could stand out in a shelf filled with other action figures; usually kids are limited to $20~$30 at a toy store (excluding birthdays or similar occasions) and assuming the bank would retail at $20 your asking the kid to choose that one 'bank' over possibly 2~4 actions figures from his favorite tv show/cartoon/etc.

The first thing I would consider is color then find the right character to fit that color... never mind I think I lost my point.

1:Yes,I agre with shamrock,it would be better articulated

2:I'd like it blank,But if it was articulated a mate or pirate character would be cool

3:Non harcores would like themed more because,well face it if your the general costumer you wont want a blank bank[especially kids}

1. Not really.

2. Depends on what the final product looks like as I can't say right now.

3. Not sure.

If it is non-licensed, my interest is really low. I only got the Sentinel and Galactus statues over a year ago, I think. And that was because I found a cheap Galactus first and then wanted a Sentinel too just for completeness.

I'd only want the bank if it was a character I really liked, or really cool looking. Like maybe a giant croc Battle Beast. Minimates are already taking up lots of space so I would be really hesistant to add Minimate Banks to my collection.

I'd buy a blank. I don't think it'd sell to anyone but us though.

I think Turtle's Statue of Liberty idea would be awesome (we know she looks great as a mate!), a good way to skirt around licensing and would sell to the GB fans for sure.

Edited by battlecat

Yes

Both

Probably not :(

But, I'm no great customizer, and would primarily be interested in the potential for having Marvel/DC characters, so that conditions my interest a bit. I would have to find someone else to do custom work I reckon.

Edited by karamazov80