UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Age of X box set

boyd

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'll ask it to you this way, Bcat- When you think Avengers, do you think Spider-Man?

Well... yeah. I mean he's been on the team for seven years now. But again, I know some people don't dig the Bendis team, and that's fine.

Actually Peter's been a card carrying member since the early to mid-90's when he formally joined as a reservist after being invited twice before that. (he actually accepted their second offer, but was turned down by the National Security Liason as a security risk, typical Parker luck) I say that just to point out Spidey's history with Earth's Mightest is a long one and I personally thought he should have joined full time ages ago. But when you think of the Avengers, I don't think Spidey.

Bendis... I am torn on, honestly. He didn't do my opinion of him any favors when he stated he was cleaning out the "C and D listers for an all A list squad" in dissassembled, then proceeded to kill Vision and Hawkeye, make Wanda crazy, then replace them with Luke Cage and Jessica Drew. This was his "A list squad"? I didn't even mind Cage and Spider Woman joining. Both had seriously been considered for membership back in the 80's, Luke in the east coast after Iron Fist "died", Spider-Woman for the west coast team. But the comment was enough for him to start his run with a strike against him in my book. But I acknowledge he's done a pretty good job for the most part. Don't quite get his fascination with Parker Robins as an unstoppable force, but everyone is entitled to their pet character I guess.

Hey I'd love a lot of that stuff too, I was just saying the team hasn't been *entirely* ignored by DST. Yes the Dark Avengers were "posers" I guess, but they were also the official 616 team for a year or so. This Age of X set is just as loosely "X-Men," I think we've only had three box sets with their logo on the box. Anyway, I'll leave it at that, before it starts to look like I'm arguing in favor of this lame set, which I am definitely not! :lol:

Points taken. They have gotten more love than I am giving DST credit for.

Well I'll ask it to you this way, Bcat- When you think Avengers, do you think Spider-Man?

Well... yeah. I mean he's been on the team for seven years now. But again, I know some people don't dig the Bendis team, and that's fine.

Actually Peter's been a card carrying member since the early to mid-90's when he formally joined as a reservist after being invited twice before that. (he actually accepted their second offer, but was turned down by the National Security Liason as a security risk, typical Parker luck) I say that just to point out Spidey's history with Earth's Mightest is a long one and I personally thought he should have joined full time ages ago. But when you think of the Avengers, I don't think Spidey.

Bendis... I am torn on, honestly. He didn't do my opinion of him any favors when he stated he was cleaning out the "C and D listers for an all A list squad" in dissassembled, then proceeded to kill Vision and Hawkeye, make Wanda crazy, then replace them with Luke Cage and Jessica Drew. This was his "A list squad"? I didn't even mind Cage and Spider Woman joining. Both had seriously been considered for membership back in the 80's, Luke in the east coast after Iron Fist "died", Spider-Woman for the west coast team. But the comment was enough for him to start his run with a strike against him in my book. But I acknowledge he's done a pretty good job for the most part. Don't quite get his fascination with Parker Robins as an unstoppable force, but everyone is entitled to their pet character I guess.

Hey I'd love a lot of that stuff too, I was just saying the team hasn't been *entirely* ignored by DST. Yes the Dark Avengers were "posers" I guess, but they were also the official 616 team for a year or so. This Age of X set is just as loosely "X-Men," I think we've only had three box sets with their logo on the box. Anyway, I'll leave it at that, before it starts to look like I'm arguing in favor of this lame set, which I am definitely not! :lol:

Points taken. They have gotten more love than I am giving DST credit for.

I'm the same way re: Bendis. The pooping on Vision, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch Ant-Man (Lang) and Jack of Hearts didn't much endear him to me. Of those, only Jack of Hearts and Vision (don't give me that 2.0 stuff. That's not REALLY him... just a "version" of the original) haven't made an apperance at coming back. I'm hoping after the Avengers: Children's Crusade stuff ends we'll have Wanda and Lang back fo' reals.

I'm really hoping DST will give the X-Men some love with characters to fill out teams we already have (Banshee, f'r cryin' out loud!).

Of course, I'm also hoping that with the Avengers stuff we'll get some of our beloved characters who've yet to see 'mated.

I'm the same way re: Bendis. The pooping on Vision, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch Ant-Man (Lang) and Jack of Hearts didn't much endear him to me. Of those, only Jack of Hearts and Vision (don't give me that 2.0 stuff. That's not REALLY him... just a "version" of the original) haven't made an apperance at coming back. I'm hoping after the Avengers: Children's Crusade stuff ends we'll have Wanda and Lang back fo' reals.

To be fair Jack went boom as a homocide bomber before Bendis got there. (Not one of Geoff Johns' better moments) Bendis just blew him up again on the ground. And Vision, the real one, did return briefly in the Chaos War story, but ultimately returned to the after life. (thus proving old apple-face really did have a soul) Still doesn't excuse Bendis calling Vis a "C-lister". At this point, I'm just hoping that the Childrens Crusade does end and thus freeing up the characters, I'm starting to care less and less how, as there's been no sign that those events will have a lasting effect.

That's right, I forgot that Jack died in space from some kind of disease that was going to blow him up due to his powers.

I miss the REAL Vision. I wish there'd be a non-Bendis written Avengers book with him, Wanda, Hawkeye and some of the "old" Avengers. Put Brubaker on there and it'd be a sure-fire winner.

• 2 months later...

Yeah - i gotta say: i love the non-spidey characters atop the 4-packs..... but that intense bright yellow really highlights (lowlights?) how drab these characters are. The book was all about pastels and soft colouring, which is why the minimates translate a bit blandly. A less bright, more pastel/washed out box colour probably would have suited better.... but then, it wouldn't get as much attention and at the end of the day, it's sales that count.

I can understand why they used that shade - it just doesn't look great.

What does look great, however, is Magneto's helmet. It has definitely made me more interested in owning him.

What does look great, however, is Magneto's helmet. It has definitely made me more interested in owning him.

The accessories i.e. the hairpeices/hoods/helmets/etc... is unfortunately why I will buy this set. So, I may just wait and buy singles, or hope I can pick it up cheaply. :confused:

• 1 month later...

Like the Rogue hood and cape... and that's about it. The Magneto is hideous. Not the mate execution specifically, but the design is just awful.

I figure if I wait a few months, the Rogue and/or Gambit will make it into Luke's single figure section and then...