UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Toy R US Wave 10 revealed

lastweaponmaster

These all look very nice 'mates but I'll confess that the characters are mostly from a (comic-)period that I missed . I was aware of Omega Red & Morph because prior to this wave they were two of five kubrick characters out of the 30 or so existing that haven't had a Minimate release..............I look forward to seeing the remaining three ,Spider-Ham,Venom-Ham & Doppelganger . I'd really love those ;)

I'm not getting into a debate that may get out of hand but I still don't get why Holocaust is called Nemesis? I know full well what the word Holocaust' has become to symbolise,rightly so, but the word has been used for centuries.

Sticks & stones break bones.....not words. I felt that needed saying but I'll move on <_<

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not getting into a debate that may get out of hand but I still don't get why Holocaust is called Nemesis? I know full well what the word Holocaust' has become to symbolise,rightly so, but the word has been used for centuries.

Sticks & stones break bones.....not words. I felt that needed saying but I'll move on <_<

I can see what you're saying, and i do actually agree in part. Holocaust is a word with it's own meaning and has been for a good long time. But it's pretty hard to say it now without thinking of THE Holocaust.

I wouldn't have any problem buying a toy called Holocaust if that's what his name was - BUT i am not a descendant of anyone who was directly affected by the Holocaust. . . so maybe i'm not the best person to ask.

If there was a minimate called 'Gay-Basher', i might take offence to it.

There was a big upset in the UK about a Transformer called Spastic.

Myself i have no worries about the minimate as while I understand the meaning of the word in a worldy sense, in the comics I think it means things along the lines of Destruction or Armageddon.

I wonder how the name translates in the foreign language printing of comics

Is there a reason why they have to call Holocaust "Nemesis"?

THE HOLOCAUST! The Holocaust is the reason he's called Nemesis.

I can see that, but is it really any more offensive than Apocalypse? That's why I'm asking.

In Magic there are cards named Armageddon, Apocalypse, Wrath of God, Jihad, and there are plenty of angels and demons. Nobody really has any problems with that.

I can see that, but is it really any more offensive than Apocalypse? That's why I'm asking.

In Magic there are cards named Armageddon, Apocalypse, Wrath of God, Jihad, and there are plenty of angels and demons. Nobody really has any problems with that.

I'd say there's a difference between taking offense at the misuse of a religious term (although at this point Apocalypse has been pretty heavily co-opted by secular culture to mean a generic "end of the world") and finding the word Holocaust to be a bit offputting on a toy, because despite any previous uses it now overwhelmingly means a specific and horrible event in living memory. I'm not saying I'm offended, but I can see a solid argument to avoid that name.

Edited by battlecat

I'd say there's a difference between taking offense at the misuse of a religious term (although at this point Apocalypse has been pretty heavily co-opted by secular culture to mean a generic "end of the world") and finding the word Holocaust to be a bit offputting on a toy, because despite any previous uses it now overwhelmingly means a specific and horrible event in living memory. I'm not saying I'm offended, but I can see a solid argument to avoid that name.

I wonder if Marvel got any kickback from his name originally. I don't know anything about the guy; has he appeared at all since the AoA series?

I just hope that the 26 million Russians who died in WW2 don't get a toy named after them.

Heaven forbid we get a Marvel character with a fun-name like 'A-Bomb'.

Farcical.

If this was directed at my post I think you've gone a bit straw man on what I was saying -- I didn't suggest at all that no toy should ever be named after any word that has any ties to any bad event in history, just that I understood the marketing decision Marvel/DST/TRU made to avoid this one specific word in a toy aisle. Although if Rick Jones turned into a radioactive guy named 'Hiroshima', then I guess I might understand a similar decision being made.

And if it wasn't directed at me, then nevermind! :P

I wonder if Marvel got any kickback from his name originally. I don't know anything about the guy; has he appeared at all since the AoA series?

He was one of 4 Characters (along with X-Man, Dark Beast & the Sugar Man) from the AoA to become regular characters in the 616.

He spent most of his time as a villain in the 616 X-Man books, but also served some time with the exiles before

departing this mortal coil

First there's NOTHING offensive about mentioning fictional vague pseudo-relgious ideas like "Armageddon" or "Apocalypse" no one has died in those (yet?) and when they do maybe Hasbro/DST will start selling "En Sabah Nur" figures to not offend those of us left behind.

Second I looked up the Jihad card to see it's context (because yes, in the right context that's extremely offensive) and it's THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what you're saying with Holocaust.

The Jihad card was released in "Arabian Nights" in 1993, back then "Jihad" meant "to struggle against adversity" it's the concept of bettering one's self through enduring hardships. The word has never meant "Holy War" and has only recently been corrupted so it's mistaken to mean such. If you can find any proof of a post-9/11 release of the card I'll agree it's just as offensive, but since it looks to have only been released in 1993.

Holocaust was named 50 years after the word 'holocaust' stopped just meaning "burnt whole" and took on a very specific new context (and was probably named that just to evoke the horrors the name conjures) this isn't some wacky co-inky-dink were Holocaust just happened to mean something horrible and they found out later, they knew and intentionally called him that.

... at any rate, I'm gonna call him Holocaust and I don't give a crap what the card says, but that's the reason he's called "Nemesis" because THE Holocaust has changed the meaning of the word, just like I'm sure if there's a Marvel character called "Jihad" (I bet there is... if not there will be, I'm picturing a black misty Nightcrawler-like character) the minimate will go by his secret identity or lesser used code name.

First there's NOTHING offensive about mentioning fictional vague pseudo-relgious ideas like "Armageddon" or "Apocalypse" no one has died in those (yet?) and when they do maybe Hasbro/DST will start selling "En Sabah Nur" figures to not offend those of us left behind.

Second I looked up the Jihad card to see it's context (because yes, in the right context that's extremely offensive) and it's THE EXACT OPPOSITE of what you're saying with Holocaust.

The Jihad card was released in "Arabian Nights" in 1993, back then "Jihad" meant "to struggle against adversity" it's the concept of bettering one's self through enduring hardships. The word has never meant "Holy War" and has only recently been corrupted so it's mistaken to mean such. If you can find any proof of a post-9/11 release of the card I'll agree it's just as offensive, but since it looks to have only been released in 1993.

Holocaust was named 50 years after the word 'holocaust' stopped just meaning "burnt whole" and took on a very specific new context (and was probably named that just to evoke the horrors the name conjures) this isn't some wacky co-inky-dink were Holocaust just happened to mean something horrible and they found out later, they knew and intentionally called him that.

... at any rate, I'm gonna call him Holocaust and I don't give a crap what the card says, but that's the reason he's called "Nemesis" because THE Holocaust has changed the meaning of the word, just like I'm sure if there's a Marvel character called "Jihad" (I bet there is... if not there will be, I'm picturing a black misty Nightcrawler-like character) the minimate will go by his secret identity or lesser used code name.

Maybe naming a character Apocalypse isn't offensive to you, but my mom didn't want to watch anime anymore after she saw zombies coming out of ground, and if you read Revelations that's when people come back to life, so that's how I can see Apocalypse being offensive to some people. Sure people haven't died yet, but tons will when the time comes.

Why does Jihad have to be post 9/11 to be offensive? Jihad has been used for holy war long before then. If you're going to say it was because of the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers, then take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_bombing

It happened in 1993.

Anyway, if Holocaust only invokes the meaning of THE Holocaust and not the original meaning, then I guess I can understand why they changed his name. Everyone will still call him Holocaust anyway though.

Edited by Dio

Anyway, if Holocaust only invokes the meaning of THE Holocaust and not the original meaning, then I guess I can understand why they changed his name. Everyone will still call him Holocaust anyway though.

I'm pretty sure that Holocaust was given his name specifically to invoke thoughts of The Holocaust. He was, after all, a genetic supremacist who was charged with culling the human population of Seattle because they were deemed weak and unworthy.

For the discerning reader there a reason for his horrible name . . . for the mum or dad buying toys for their kids at the biggest toy-chain in the world, there is a reason not to by little timmy or little suzy an action figure.

I'm pretty sure that Holocaust was given his name specifically to invoke thoughts of The Holocaust. He was, after all, a genetic supremacist who was charged with culling the human population of Seattle because they were deemed weak and unworthy.

For the discerning reader there a reason for his horrible name . . . for the mum or dad buying toys for their kids at the biggest toy-chain in the world, there is a reason not to by little timmy or little suzy an action figure.

I see. I'm not familiar with the character and looked up his powers and such, and they seem to fit the original meaning as he did

: a thorough destruction involving extensive loss of life especially through fire <a nuclear holocaust>

but I didn't know the creators intended to invoke thoughts of The Holocaust.

What I was trying to say, but much more clear and concise! I'll back away from this topic slowly now ;)

It wasn't directed at you....or anyone here,it just struck a nerve with me ,especially at a time of the year that I used to believe was called 'Christmas'. ;)

And here's wishing everyone a great one!

YES!! EXILES!! I'm so happy! I read some Exiles books not to long ago and really wanted some Exile mates! and here they are! My favorite character Morph even! That Blink looks great too! betewen these and the Cannonball with a proper "fight stand", TRU is the place to be for me! :spiderham:

This has the potnential to be the coolest Marvel Minimate to date.

I agree. So long as you are a fan of massive, overly sculpted, maneuverability inhibiting junk on top of your elegant, perfectly conceived Minimate base body.