UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Georg Brewer gone?

boyd

Take with an appropriate amount of salt, but the comic rumor site Bleeding Cool is reporting that DC Direct honcho Georg Brewer is no longer with the company:

"And yes, a number of DC Direct will be leaving. Most seem to have been offered LA relocation but most aren’t able to accepted it. Georg Brewer who developed and supervised DC Direct products will be gone."

Full article here.

I've been wondering how the reorganization was going to affect DCD. Some of the early PR mentioned "capitalizing on merchandising opportunities" or similar PR drivel.

A lot of people don't hold Georg in the highest regard, but whenever I talked with him at SDCC he seemed like a guy doing what he thought was best for his company. I wonder if it was his decision or DC's? (If it's true of course. :))

Is that so bad?

Oh no. There's nothing wrong with his decision (assuming that is what happened).

Speaking as someone who moved halfway across the country years ago with his girlfriend for a job, it wasn't easy. But we were both younger and wanted to see more of the world, so we said good-bye to friends & family and moved. Amd once we got used to living together, we were fine. :)

Now if someone were to offer me that opportunity now, I woudn't take it. I've got a house and a kid now, and can't just uproot as easily as I did before.

DCD at ne time was pretty cutting edge and got DC toys out when other companies couldnt / wouldnt...

but, now with Mattel pounding out DC figures faster than shit through a goose...DCD almost seem not needed.

I hated to hear an end to DC Mates. and called for the head of Brewer on more than one occasion, but I hate, hate, hate to see anyone lose their job. I really hope he lands on his feet.

moc847

DC Direct was really ahead of its time. Even though their 6 inch figures of the early 2000s had next to no articulation, they looked great and were tailored to an audience that expected more than the junk Mattel and Hasbro were pumping out in the 1990s. But not unlike certain other companies *cough*Medicom*cough*, they weren't able to adapt and change to the times. The figures they release nowadays seem very similar to what they were making 10 years ago, and like MOC says, Mattel left them in the dust. The Marvel Legends articulation style has really revolutionized cheap toys, and I think DC Direct needs to jump onto that bandwagon before it is too late.

It should be pointed out that he's not being forced out, or fired, but is leaving (more or less) by his own accord. And he's not the only one. There's a lot of really talented people that are going to be on the job market because of this forced west coast migration. It's not a good time to be working for DC. :(

I don't think, though, that there's going to be a lot of tears shed in the AF community to see him replaced. I think Karamazov summed up DCD's failings well; I'd only add that they were very, very poor in listening to their customer base, which I always found odd since they were more accessible then just about anyone. They had a terrible habit of starting lines and dropping them without warning, Minimates only being our favorite example.

If I came across harsh am I sorry no, did i mean it, not personally as I don't know the person. The way I read it the company is being restructured and if he wants his job he can have it if he goes with the restructure. It dont seem he wants to move be it for whatever reason so he leaves the company.

If the company was folding completely and he was being laid off It would be a different thing but this is the guy that all the DC minimate failings seem to aimed at so if it means that in the restructure there maybe a fresh mind to look over things I am happy for that very slim chance that DC minimates maybe looked at again.

So Mr Brewer best of luck in your future endeavours (stay away from toy lines) and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Well, I'm glad to see him go, but I hope he ends up okay. I echo the feelings of others here in their distaste for DCD in the modern day and age.

Okay, here's what we do. As soon as a new guy gets hired, we slam a petition down on his desk demanding the return of DC Mates, diving DST more control, and no more 2.5" Mates.

:D

I think the size restriction is technically a Marvel thing--part of their license that does not allow different sized figures to be used. Though some of the "deciders" at DST may not prefer to release different sized Minimates, if a licensor (such as DC Direct) demanded it, I'm sure that they would do it again.

My knowledge of the DC Universe is poor & revolves around Batman & Robin ,Superman,Flash,Wonder Woman,Green Lantern .......& then I'm struggling . I know more now than I did ....& I can thank DC & C3 minimates for that..they still take some beating as a line.

I do not however remember them being fawned over when they were released & I ,especially, remember the C3 line being about as popular as '24' is now :( DC Minimates arrived at a time when Minimates,in general, were not doing that well ,compare the Marvel Scarlet Witch with even the worst contemporary DC 'mate ......Ma Hunkel (perhaps) ...& the DC 'mate is by far superior in every respect.I am very aware of what DC Minimate fans want for the future & it revolves again around Batman,Superman & the JLA..... which I embrace & I'm sure would sell but what I'm not convinced about is that Brewer made the wrong decision about DC Minimates for that time!!. I know which DC & C3 Minimates 'sell' ....& so do you....but ol' Brewer made the right call...... at that time. So ...........I've emphasised 'at that time' enough now surely?

I'm ready for some new DC stuff .

I think the size restriction is technically a Marvel thing--part of their license that does not allow different sized figures to be used. Though some of the "deciders" at DST may not prefer to release different sized Minimates, if a licensor (such as DC Direct) demanded it, I'm sure that they would do it again.

This is absolutely true. Marvel will only allow DST to produce in the ONE SINGLE 2" FORMAT, not a 2" scale. No room for wiggle. DCD could and did produce in three sizes, using a loosely defined scale.

In my opinion, Brewer was indiferent to Minimates. I don't think he disliked anything that made the company money and was willing to try new things. Something didn't seem to work for them with Minimates and they shelved it. My question to him was always, when will they return. In DST Chuck fashion, his answer was always the brutally vague, "never say never". That said, Brewer has been with DC for a long time and always appeared to address fans with respect.

I met Georg twice and both times he seemed a bit of a prick. Both times it was at conventions (SDCC and WWC) and I know he has to deal with a lot of fanboys and that's not really what the bulk of his job is/was.

He did a pretty good job at what he did, but he also seemed a bit clueless to some things as well. IMHO, new blood heading up DC Direct might be a good thing.

Mostly, I hope whoever takes over after the dust settles will look into resurrecting DC MiniMates. :)