UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU wave 8 - FF!

minijeff

DSTChuck: "They want army builder figures in TRU? Make them exclusive! Muahahahahaha!"

I'd wager that the sticker is correct. There's generally two exclusive sets, and I don't see them going against that. Assuming that my TRU hasn't abandoned Marvel Minimates again, there's a slight chance that this series will make it to my store, but certainly no guarantee. The website probably won't be much better.

Still, if these are going to TRU Canada as well, then maybe we'll see greater numbers of the sets available, which means lower eBay prices. And with the market coverage increased, there will be a few less people hunting for them on eBay.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts:

• Interesting that we're getting two such different Things (and philosophies on how to bulk up a Minimate) in back-to-back waves.

• I was hoping we'd see some companion pieces to the X-Force box set in this wave. Hopefully crummy Feral and half-decent Domino will get some company next go-around.

• I'll be interested to see who's in the third pack in the regular comic wave. Is there another army builder they could do for Fantastic Four, or is that going to be a mixed bag like wave 37?

• We got what we asked for in a TRU army builder. I wonder if the packout ratios are going to even out with this wave, or if it's going to be more like the wave with Spiderwoman/Molecule Man and Warpath/Angel where Namor/Soldier is common (three per case) and Sue/Mole Man is one per case.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter. TRU must know how self-defeating it would be to have a shortpacked army builder, but you know they want to keep a true chase figure somewhere in the mix. I think you could fairly call Sue/Mole Man a "fan favorite" pack; if not for that TRU sticker on it, you know it would just rot on the pegs like Thor/Lady Loki.

Edited by Lobsterman

The TRU Thing (prototypes I know, but it might turn out this way) is different then the regular wave 37 Thing.

TRU Thing has a '4' on his belt where the wave 37 Thing has no '4'. I wonder if this will be how the figures come out.

As an extra note for all my fellow canucks on here....I have been told that this wave will be the start of these TRU waves being available at Canadian TRUs!!!!!

Jeff of the Miniacs

Hopefully it will be :)

I will see if I can find the UPC's for this set.

Can't wait to pick up the human torch and thing at a tru{in canada of course}

This wave looks great!the 1 think I think can be changed the moon knight's helmet thing.It just does not match the rest of the figure.Im sure they could have found a different helmet thing to put on doom

Edited by darkredshdow

maybe to boost sales, these are going to be like the ghostbusters 2packs. where yes 2 of the packs will say exclusive, but in reality all of them are? I could see TRU wanting that, since the packs that are pegwarming the aisles are all the thor/loki, ironman/stiltman, ironman/crimson dynamos.

regardless it looks like i'm going to have to start buying up minimates again at the store closest to me and returning them to the one a half hour north to clear some peg space.

Why don't they do the best of waves for the Marvel line? Seems to me that's been the harder line to shop for, which provided the greater chances for missing out on a figure. I imagine they produce Marvel sets in greater numbers to the Ghost Busters sets (initially anyway, since I seem to recall Chuck saying that they were outperforming Marvel), but the GB sets have had preorders available on the website and I've never had a problem finding them in my local store.

If they can't be bothered to do a best of wave, then maybe every year at SDCC or somewhere, they can release a We're Sorry box set that features all the figures currently going for $40-$60 on eBay.

The TRU Thing (prototypes I know, but it might turn out this way) is different then the regular wave 37 Thing.

TRU Thing has a '4' on his belt where the wave 37 Thing has no '4'. I wonder if this will be how the figures come out.

I think they are two different figures. Wave 37 Thing has Ben Grimm underneath his rocky exterior, whereas this one is like the old Thing figures where its a blank Minimate with some extra parts stuck on to bulk it up a bit.

Fan-fricken-tastic. I was just kicking myself for missing out on a relatively cheap FF box set the other day. Will most definitely be snagging these when they arrive.

I concur on the need to do Marvel Best Of waves, the latest Ghostbusters one is entirely made up of sets I missed the first time around, it'll be nice getting a little closer to being caught up on those.

It's especially cool that Sue appears to come with both phasing and non-phasing body parts. The Atlantean soldier appears to have one of Cable's guns, sort of an odd choice.

Edited by CaptainChunk

Here's the problem with "chase" figures:

Toys'R'Us doesn't sell cases.

If I'm looking for a TRUX Minimate, that's all I'm looking for. If the store I walk into doesn't have it, I walk out, empty-handed. I don't stick around going "well, this store has disappointed me for the 13th time this week, I think I'll loiter around and see what else I can waste this money that I was saving for Minimates on".

TRU makes no extra money with this bullcrap. They'd make more money if the exclusives were plentiful. Everyone could get them, instead of one or two people per store. Instead, they're sitting on a couple thousand Thor/Loki sets, and the only people making money on the "chases" are independent sellers (more often than not, scalpers).

It's stupid, and not because I'm "having a hard time finding them."

It's stupid from a business standpoint.

I agree. When I walk into my local TRU and they don't have the latest releases, I don't pick up an impulse item or browse the rest of the store. I just storm out. I usually punch the first employee I see too. They always wince when they see me approaching the register with nothing in my hands.

I kinda wanted short hair susan and the blue and white uniforms, but hey this wave is awesome!, I'm gonna try to get the whole set.

Edited by SErge

Without a doubt the best Fantastic Four wave to date with everyone looking like they'll benefit from the upgrade. Namor and the Atlanian Army Builder also look great. I may need help from one of you lovely American collectors depending on how many are in Wave 38 and how many are definitly TRU exclusive ;)

Nice to see were getting an FF themed wave. I just wish they would have kept the same color as the previously released FF. The stretchy accessory that came with the last reed wont match and neither will the stretched arms from the old Reed. Bummer. That Thing looks like ass compared to the one were getting with the molded arms. A kit bash might be in order.

I thought that DST was trying to have the release of the TRU wave and LCB close together so they don't take away from the LCB sales?

Since none of these figures are in Wave 37 I'm assuming this wave will have some crossover with Wave 38.

However Wave 37 won't be out until Sept-Nov which puts Wave 38 release around Dec-Jan. It usually takes 5-6 weeks from the packaged pics being shown to the minimates showing up in the stores for TRU waves.

I wonder what is going on? Are they removing the crossover minimates between TRU & LCB waves?

I thought that DST was trying to have the release of the TRU wave and LCB close together so they don't take away from the LCB sales?

Since none of these figures are in Wave 37 I'm assuming this wave will have some crossover with Wave 38.

However Wave 37 won't be out until Sept-Nov which puts Wave 38 release around Dec-Jan. It usually takes 5-6 weeks from the packaged pics being shown to the minimates showing up in the stores for TRU waves.

I wonder what is going on? Are they removing the crossover minimates between TRU & LCB waves?

I'm getting the vibe that they are going to how they do the TRU Ghostbusters mates. since I don't see them doing 2 back to back Things.

It's especially cool that Sue appears to come with both phasing and non-phasing body parts.

Did I miss something? Where does it indicate this? I'd like to have phased and non-phased parts, but from what I saw, it looks as if she only comes with phasing limbs.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

That's what it looks like, which wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion. If you look back at the previous waves, the ones that peg warm are the ones that were covered in the LCS waves as well. That's partly from scalpers nabbing all the exclusives and leaving the rest of the wave to rot, but I imagine the fact that the overlap also takes up most of the case, they aren't moving as many as they could if it was another unique figure, or at least a hard to find rerelease.

That's what it looks like, which wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion. If you look back at the previous waves, the ones that peg warm are the ones that were covered in the LCS waves as well. That's partly from scalpers nabbing all the exclusives and leaving the rest of the wave to rot, but I imagine the fact that the overlap also takes up most of the case, they aren't moving as many as they could if it was another unique figure, or at least a hard to find rerelease.

Hopefully you are right. I would love if they got rid of the crossover minimates since I've found as well they are the slowest sellers.

Also, with no crossover it means more new minimates for me to buy!! :D

It's especially cool that Sue appears to come with both phasing and non-phasing body parts.

Did I miss something? Where does it indicate this? I'd like to have phased and non-phased parts, but from what I saw, it looks as if she only comes with phasing limbs.

You can see an extra arm in the package next to her.

Also, yay Mole Man! And yay TRU Canada only taking, er, 22 months or so to wise up on Minimates!

Edited by battlecat

That would be the best way to do it in my opinion. Less fuel for scalpers, more money for TRU and it allows DST to release more and more obscure characters in say the LCS wave and the generic Spidey variants in the TRU waves. If this is an experiment I hope it works well.

Also, with no crossover it means more new minimates for me to buy!! :D

QFT!

Edited by pawcanada

post-179-1281459224_thumb.jpg

Look at the image the Sue has 2 arms attached plus what looks like another arm to the right above her head. So its a good guess that she comes with invisible and solid limbs. Also that looks like a clear force shield next to Moleman and his staff to the left of Sue.