UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Captain American Through the Ages TRU Exclusive Pack

fwoosheyman

I see a lot of posts saying the Invaders Cap is "perfect". I have to disagree, because he's TEAL. I don't understand why that paint was chosen. Neither 40's Cap or Modern Cap are that color, so an update of both would not be a bad thing IMO.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of rehashes and rereleases and updates. I would say for the most part, all are welcome. The only BAD thing about them is that if you already have say, 18 wolvies....or they pack a wolvie with every single other character so you have no choice but to have 6 of him. I can see that it forces you to buy them if you want the other guys, but out of selfishness, I just want who I want lol.

The updates are nice for sure and it gives people who missed them another chance, what is so bad about that? It might bring your early wave black spidey down a bit in price (much like rogue)--but were you going to sell him anyway? Even still, he is still wave 2 spidey and the other guy is wave 35 or whatever---does that take away from his awesomeness? I should say not.

It is the EXACT same thing as if DST came along and said "we're going to do a run of 2000 Gold and Silver Spideys, because not everyone who wants one had a chance to get one. In respect to our fans, they will now come with weblines."

Now, how well do you think that would go over? You were lucky and got one at SDCC. Worse yet, you paid $300 for one. And suddenly he's not worth anything? Sure, there's always the argument of 'what he's worth to you' but that is for fools. He's worth that much because there's 50 of him. Now suddenly there's 2050 of him. The bottom drops out of the market, and you're left with a $4.99 hunk of plastic that you paid $300+ for.

It is the exact same thing. Why do we not make a fuss over it then? Because we justify it as being 'not that big a deal'. It gives new fans a chance to get them (like Spidey) and we didn't pay that much for them (unlike Spidey) so we let it slide.

Am I saying DST has no right to do this? Heck no. It's their company, they can do whatever they want. What I'm saying is they shouldn't do this. It's small scale, to be sure, but eventually it starts adding up.

An amendment: I can't remember if I said this or not, but if the SW set is peg warming with 2 heavy hitters (Spidey and Doom) what makes you think this one won't with 4 of the same character? Are they going to sell this in Canada too? Isn't that oxymoronish?

I'm sorry I'm the lone voice in the wilderness. If you don't like it there's this little thing called "block". Though you're not going to need it because I've said everything I'm going to say on the subject. :)

It is the EXACT same thing as if DST came along and said "we're going to do a run of 2000 Gold and Silver Spideys, because not everyone who wants one had a chance to get one. In respect to our fans, they will now come with weblines."

Now, how well do you think that would go over? You were lucky and got one at SDCC. Worse yet, you paid $300 for one. And suddenly he's not worth anything? Sure, there's always the argument of 'what he's worth to you' but that is for fools. He's worth that much because there's 50 of him. Now suddenly there's 2050 of him. The bottom drops out of the market, and you're left with a $4.99 hunk of plastic that you paid $300+ for.

It is the exact same thing. Why do we not make a fuss over it then? Because we justify it as being 'not that big a deal'. It gives new fans a chance to get them (like Spidey) and we didn't pay that much for them (unlike Spidey) so we let it slide.

Am I saying DST has no right to do this? Heck no. It's their company, they can do whatever they want. What I'm saying is they shouldn't do this. It's small scale, to be sure, but eventually it starts adding up.

An amendment: I can't remember if I said this or not, but if the SW set is peg warming with 2 heavy hitters (Spidey and Doom) what makes you think this one won't with 4 of the same character? Are they going to sell this in Canada too? Isn't that oxymoronish?

I'm sorry I'm the lone voice in the wilderness. If you don't like it there's this little thing called "block". Though you're not going to need it because I've said everything I'm going to say on the subject. :)

It's not the exact same thing. Is the value of the 68 Shelby Mustang any less because of Ford releasing the 2011 Shelby Mustang? My point is that the Gold and Silver Spideys are far more rare than any variant from any wave. You are doing some extreme generalizing.

Bottom line is DST is a business looking to juggle making fans happy and selling their product to remain a profitable company.

It wouldn't take much for a less reputable business to see that Deadpool is selling for $50 on eBay and profit off of that after the fact. They have the molds, they have the tampos, they could produce 1000 Deadpools next week and sell them directly from their website for $30.

But they don't. Because they respect their customers.

I'm not saying we won't see another Deadpool down the road, because everyone knows we will (the little &^%$er is in 4 monthly titles right now), but so far DST has not RE-RELEASED an exact version of a character, to my knowledge.

TRU Spider-Woman had a different hair sculpt. Black Spidey had a slip-on mask.

Cut them some slack. It's not their job or responsibility to keep the secondary market prices high and the only thing they "owe" us is the promise to continue making fun toys.

I for one, would be ecstatic if they re-released Gold Spidey, as I want one for my collection and am not going to spend $300 on a piece of plastic.

maybe i should give them another chance.

No you should not. You should not give Matrix 2 or matrix 3 another chance. Pretend they dropped off the map. Give the first another chance. But hte second and third don't exist. Got it?

Ha ha ha - ok, so it wasn't just the impatience of youth that stopped me enjoying these films. Thanks for the warnings guys! I'll keep my Hugo weaving viewing to his Elvin, Drag-Queen & Vengeful Venfetta related exploits.

maybe i should give them another chance.

No you should not. You should not give Matrix 2 or matrix 3 another chance. Pretend they dropped off the map. Give the first another chance. But hte second and third don't exist. Got it?

Ha ha ha - ok, so it wasn't just the impatience of youth that stopped me enjoying these films. Thanks for the warnings guys! I'll keep my Hugo weaving viewing to his Elvin, Drag-Queen & Vengeful Venfetta related exploits.

just take the blue pill and all will be forgotten and you can continue your meaningless life................or was it the blue pill? SHIT WHICH ONE DID I GIVE TO NEO????? :D:P:D

That's a pretty fair point. I happened to like the new Secret Wars SpiderWoman better than the original Jean-Haired variant from wave 10 (or maybe 11?), but it still didn't stop me from feeling a bit disappointed about how much i had spent tracking down the original.

I'd have exactly zero problem with that. I don't think DST has any obligation, or even real benefit, to keeping the market value of anyone's collection up. If it would help grow the brand and bring in more people, go for it.

Is the SW set really pegwarming? It's the only TRU exclusive I've never seen in store, so maybe it's a regional thing. I've yet to see any boxset stick around brick and mortar TRUs for long.

I voted for The Captain and Reborn Cap.

I know they're the retreads, but frankly, I have yet to get a Captain America minimate I'm 100% happy with. So with that said, I wouldn't mind updated versions of the both of them which match one another (and they have slipcover masks, so they should mesh nicely with Bucky Cap too.)

I'm seeing alot of love for him, but I've never been a fan of gimmicky mates like suspended animation Cap. Or Transformation Spidey/Venom, or Secret Wars Spidey, or Spider-Sense peter parker, or any of the phasing minimates like Vision and Shadowcat. I like my mates to be versitile. Mates that only represent a very specific scene or cover or power usage turn me off.

I like the mask accesory with the Civil War one, but beyond that, who cares? More or less the same as the other Civil War one.

The other two I'm more or less completely unfamiliar with, and could take or leave. The armor is somehow both neat and stupid looking to me, at the same time. Is the WWII one Ultimate? He sure looks it, but the only two Ultimate costumes I'm familiar with are the two that were already made in series 27.

Frankly, I can't believe they're not using his new, post-reborn costume, from Marvel's Secret Avengers promo art. Seems Bucky is staying Cap, and Steve Rogers is forging onward with a new costume and no gimmick. I would think that costume would be the one to make, since it's relevent to the current publications.

Frankly, I can't believe they're not using his new, post-reborn costume, from Marvel's Secret Avengers promo art. Seems Bucky is staying Cap, and Steve Rogers is forging onward with a new costume and no gimmick. I would think that costume would be the one to make, since it's relevent to the current publications.

his new Secret Agent get up? Yeah, i wasn wondering myself why that costume wasn't an option.

I own every single Marvel Minimate currently released except Gold Spidey, Silver Spidey & Santa Spidey (who arguably, might not even count in some peoples estimation) and X-Factor Angel (and someone is currently helping me rectify that one in a trade).

That said, I don't have a problem with re-releases and rehashes. I've paid a little more for some of my mates. I've gotten great deals on some of my mates. All and all, I feel it's more or less evened out over the years, and there's no mate I feel I've paid so much for that it would embitter me if they re-made it.

I hear lots of people saying they paid fortunes for lots of old minimates... can't say its ever happened to me. Now I'll admit... there's a few odd old minimates who command high prices now. Nightcrawler. Blue Professor X. I have both. I paid retail. *Shrug*

But there really aren't so many rare ones out there, or any who have reached such an outrageous price, that I feel they're too priceless to ever be remade. Barring maybe those three spideys, who as I said, arguably aren't even actually part of the official line.

In fact, I think being rare is just all the more reason to remake them.

No one should have to pay $50 for Nightcrawler.

And no one IS paying $50 for Civil War Cap. Lets not blow things out of proportion here.

Odd.... of the three 'mates Gillbob is 'missing' ...one,Santa Spidey,was my first Minimate.

This is a very entertaining & interesting thread & one I am enjoying immensely .

Retreads do affect the price of the 'original' but only to a degree. I know no more than anybody else but I have to spend a lot of time tracking Minimate prices & (for example) the old Rogue ( :biggrin: ) 'packaged' remains the same price ....overpriced IMO....as it has been for ages. That is perhaps due to the figure it is packed with .....Mystique. Mystique is surely a figure that needs redoing it is the singularly most awful female Minimate character IMO.......yet seems popular . I could go on ...... I shan't.

Regards Cap' colour ,version,style,variation .....you'll never get everybody to agree & it often depends on which era in your life you 'found' that character or sometimes which Minimate version you found first,you perhaps relate to . This applies to most Marvel characters & is especially so with the X-Men who,until the AFX Originals, bore no resemblance to the X-men I loved. That's not a dig at the other versions we've had ....it's just to emphasise a point.

I wonder what kind of Mini's we'll get come Cap A the movie?

I hear we're getting a Cap 'Through the Ages' Set, but I guess it's only a rumor since AA is staying mum on the subject. :P

I think DST has to start re-doing older characters, no matter how hard they were to find. We are entering a time were people are finally discovering Minimates (after 7 years) and there's a demand for basic characters. DST would rather supply them and if that keeps DST making Minimates, I'm all for it. Having said that, I don't forsee there being many variants being re-done just because I don't forsee many that are iconic versions of characters people widely recognize and want. Minimates are becoming more than just our little corner of the collector market and we're going to have to accept that things are changing (and hopefully see the positive things that come out of it).

No brainer that we all must vote for Suspended Animation Cap, right?

That's where my vote went. Suspended Anim. cap honestly didn't excite me much until I saw the full body picture with the extras... yeah... Looks awesome.

I think DST has to start re-doing older characters, no matter how hard they were to find. We are entering a time were people are finally discovering Minimates (after 7 years) and there's a demand for basic characters. DST would rather supply them and if that keeps DST making Minimates, I'm all for it. Having said that, I don't forsee there being many variants being re-done just because I don't forsee many that are iconic versions of characters people widely recognize and want. Minimates are becoming more than just our little corner of the collector market and we're going to have to accept that things are changing (and hopefully see the positive things that come out of it).

I'm not arguing with any/most of that but honestly how many of the characters in the first 20 odd Marvel waves would you consider 'hard to find' ? If you add the next 10 or so waves I'm still not convinced that you can't find most of them as well. I'm genuinely not trying to be awkward but I've seen enough stuff sold recently to know that it is all still out there & reasonably priced . I've also seen variant sets/figures go for fractions of what they use to sell for when at their peak. Remember please that I agree that stuff will get harder to find from the old waves but I wonder whether the 'newbies' want it ?

Just to clarify, yes, older stuff is out there to be found. But if it's on any secondary market (eBay, message boards, etc), DST isn't making money off of it. If someone is just coming into Marvel Minimates, they'll probably want the bigger name A and B list characters. There's very few of those that are hard to find at reasonable prices, but if you were DST wouldn't you want to make some profit off of that demand? So what if Deadpool/Wolverine packs sell at $50+, DST sold all of their's already at their cost. I suppose that's where I was coming from.

Edited by groundhog7s

I suppose that's where I was coming from.

Frighteningly..... I always know where you're coming from ;) You make a great deal of sense which is more than I can say about where the hell DST get some of their ideas about which characters to release?? Anybody who has come into Marvel Minimate collecting over the last year or so must be absolutely gagging for some of the characters we old stagers have just taken for granted. Somebody,thank God, has woken up to the fact that the Fantastic Four would sell... & sell well..... but we're getting these in dribs & drabs rather than a bloody box-set!! It's crazy.

I wanted to conclude by saying that you can easily pick the early FF wave & the box-set on ebay & say I told you so ......I can't say that & you can't pick them up.......it's almost bare* of them :ohmy: I am genuinely shocked.......where'd they go :blink:

*I tend to ignore anything over $16.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I see a lot of posts saying the Invaders Cap is "perfect". I have to disagree, because he's TEAL. I don't understand why that paint was chosen. Neither 40's Cap or Modern Cap are that color, so an update of both would not be a bad thing IMO.

Incredibly enough I agree:

I'm kind of stumped as to what exactly would be so special about Rebirth Cap, I'm guessing that unlike the Invaders Cap he'll come in a deeper blue

The only other explanation I could think of for the "off" shade of blue used on Invaders Cap was to imply (and by "imply" I mean "bash us in the head repeatedly with a big stick") that he came from an "older" era, like to simulate the inking on the old pulp comics or something.

Furthermore:

fig0030flg.jpgfig0581f2lg.jpg

If you'll look closely enough, there IS a hue difference. (Oddly the coloration of New Avengers Cap seems to be somewhere in between.)

I personally like the Invaders blue color, but I feel that the most traditional coloring of Cap is actually the one recently released at TRU, despite the mask issue. Like BHM says, our preferences are probably "colored" by the character as we like him best, and my favorite period is the Mike Zeck era, where he was usually about the shade of the TRU version.

Regarding updated re-releases, that stuff doesn't really bother me much personally. I would prefer newer versions of characters over re-hashes, but it isn't the rehashes alone that really annoy me (in fact, I like having 15 slightly different Captain Americas, but admittedly I am a fan of the character). As others have suggested, there aren't many older Minimates that are worth that much. The most pricey, mass-released Marvel Minimates in existence are likely two released over the last year or so--Deadpool and X-Factor Angel.

BUT, the Civil War Cap particularly here is a bit more unsettling to me. Again, I'm not bothered too too much by it, but I would prefer DST not to start with straight re-releases the way that Medicom does. If you are going to re-release a character, even one as specific as "Civil War Captain America," I say do something different. The mask he can hold in his hand is neat, but that still appears to be very nearly the same look, with the same type of battle damage, etc.

Edited by karamazov80

Speaking as someone who's had to hunt down and backtrack older Minimates himself, I'll just say that -- while I really don't like the idea of reissues of stuff that's already been done decently [as opposed to the occasional much-needed redo we justifiably keep asking for] -- I do not, in any way, mind harder-to-find stuff being made available again in a different way for newer fans. I don't stand to gain anything if they have as hard a time as I did [or run up as much of an expense as I might have] of getting a certain Minimate. The sentimental and personal value of my own Minimate possessions does not disappear if they get a very similar version handed to them on [by comparison] a silver platter. And the resale value of my Minimate possessions... well, I can honestly say I've never been in any of this for the resale value, so meh.

If anything, like I said, I'm more easily annoyed by the potential of new characters [or "needed" retreads] that is lost when the decision is made to redo, say, US Agent or something along those lines. I wonder sometimes if he wasn't just thrown in there as filler that they knew people weren't likely to vote for.

I will agree with NR and punisher though -- Invaders Cap's somewhat "off" use of teal instead of a direct blue has also kept me from using him as a definitive modern Cap [he's mainly around to rock the classic shield and mask, the latter of which doesn't match any other Cap bodies I have]. And NR, I have noticed that about the NA Cap too -- that might be one of the reasons it's my favorite. :D

Edited by lastmaximal

Someone mentioned the difference of old to new mates compared to the ol shelby mustang and a 2010 one----that is the exact point I was trying to make, except said better. Someone else also mentioned that re-releases only hurt the price point of the original to a degree--and I agree there too. If you are collecting, what would you rather have a "wave 1 spiderman" or "wave 43 spiderman." I think just based on the fact that it was from a particular wave, will cause the value to remain the same more or less.

If you are a completist, and you are buying a santa spidey to complete your collection, let's say DST releases an X-Mass spidey for 2010 no more than 2 months after you finally get the original and pay $500. In theory, wouldn't you then need to have BOTH early version spidey and 2010 spidey? The early version will have its distinct characteristics that separate it from the new one either way.

On a strange note, just the other day I found a comic shop in CT I didn't know about, so I called up asking if they had mates. They had ONE pack left--original rogue and mystique--for $6.99 wahoo! So I went over and picked it up (they didn't sell well for this guy, so he isn't stocking any more mates..boo). So what a find! I come out to find that I accidentally illegally parked my car...$35 fine, so I just paid $42 for rogue and mystique...speaking of mystique, I thought she was actually really well done and from years ago, happens to fit in with all the new 90s mates we're gettin now.

Getting back on topic, I have to take a look at my invaders cap'n and see what color blue he is. I actually just recently bought that screwed up cap w/ battle damaged wolvie--his mask is actually OK! only one in the store that lined up with his eyes--I bought him with the intention of using my other mask from the Invaders set to have a more modern cap.

And that is officially the longest post I have ever made to date on the verse haha.