UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Universal Monsters Minimates

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So, Toy Fair is this weekend. While I'm stoked about everything else announced so far, I'll be sad if there are no new Universal Monster minimates announced.

I really, really hope Universal comes out with more of the Blu Ray restorations. I finally saw Invisible Man for the first time. Other than the two IM versions (trenchcoat and robe), who else would be included? I'd love the police captain, due to the interesting vintage hat,

What I'd really love to see is this line revisited one day with just a mix of characters from all the movies, including one or two here & there from movies we've already gotten. Then you could slot in the Invisible Man, Lon Chaney Phantom, Karloff as Ardey Bey, Lugosi as Bela the Gypsy from Wolf Man, Son of Frankenstein & Ygor, shirtless whipped version of Quasimodo, etc.

I really, really hope Universal comes out with more of the Blu Ray restorations. I finally saw Invisible Man for the first time. Other than the two IM versions (trenchcoat and robe), who else would be included?

Not to point out the obvious but maybe a clear version? That would be a lot of one character but like you asked, who else is there?

And I'd like more UM-mates myself. What we got was great but it's going to seem a little incomplete without the Metaluna Mutant and the Phantom.

I really, really hope Universal comes out with more of the Blu Ray restorations. I finally saw Invisible Man for the first time. Other than the two IM versions (trenchcoat and robe), who else would be included?

Not to point out the obvious but maybe a clear version? That would be a lot of one character but like you asked, who else is there?

And I'd like more UM-mates myself. What we got was great but it's going to seem a little incomplete without the Metaluna Mutant and the Phantom.

I don't know about a clear version, unless it has the bandage-head slip on "helmet". Only because, we never, ever saw his face (in the first Claude Rains movie), so to me it would look a bit out-of-place to have a face on it like Twilight Frodo or Iceman has. Then, we simply wind up with a blank clear minimate!

I would give up any future Universal Monsters just to get a Lon Chaney Phantom, however. He's #1 on my want-list for UM. Heck, I'd love a Lon Chaney set, including his London Underground creepy shark-tooth character!

Yes to Mystery Man, I definitely asked AskDST!!! I just didn't go full Lee Burns on them.

Glad that ya wrote! This is still my favorite mate line other than Marvel and the one that I constantly think about with what characters could be made and how.

If I had to pick justonemore to come out, it would be really tough. Definitely either Invisible Man or Phantom.

... But then I start thinking about the Metaluna Mutant!

The Monsters vs Zombies Character Building blind packs have finally made their way to my local supermarket. Most of the toys there get clearanced out, so if/when I go in there and they're only £1 each I'll grab a load.

I'll then try to figure out which packs are the Fly etc and get some snaps with the heads on 'mates. Will snap some photos, but it may be a while before I can pick them up.

Edited by UK Collector

DST CHUCK: Justin thanks for your support and ideas but I was just answering the question in an honest manner, it is what it is. Sales have not been there at retail, nor TRU support for future figures. That said maybe its something we did wrong and not a lack of customer interest- I can’t say for sure. I do know the line (and AF line) has done much better than many folks thought it would when we announced it. Again thanks for the suggestion and don’t give up hope. - from the 1/7/13 Q&A

Yes, I have to say it is something DST did wrong and NOT a lack of customer interest. I really hope DST reads this, as I don't want to put it on their official website, but I hope they read the constructive criticism.

1) The biggest issue was the shared exclusives. This series just couldn't tolerate them. The Mummy ended up being TRU exclusive due to the box set not coming out, and they are the ONLY sets sold out at TRU. More TRU exclusives seem to have been the key. But the people who are going to buy and collect these are generally not going to double up. This is why you can still get the Dracula and the Frankenstein 2-packs on clearance, but the Villager with the Bride is long gone. The market is too aware, and the 2 I listed weren't enough of an impulse buy to enough buyers. If only they had made them variants instead, maybe a different face on Dracula packed with an exclusive character like one of Dracula's brides? Even the Wolfman & Creature sets that were shared were clearanced out. Every TRU pack needs an exclusive to TRU character. Yes, I know both retailers want the "name" monsters, but the secondary characters and variants available should have been different.

2) No accessories! Where was Dr Frankenstein's lab equipment? Or even a random tombstone or a bat? These sets were missing that "something extra"

3) Maybe DST went a little deep with some character selection? Did we *need* Gwen Conliffe or some of the other girls? I'm thrilled that we have them, and I'd buy them all, but I alone cannot support this line, we need the mass consumers to buy as well. Maybe Renfield would have been better as a TRU exclusive? He was great, and more interesting visually than Van Helsing.

It looked like they were learning with each wave, adding the villager in wave 2 and the visually uninteresting but great custom-fodder Frank Whemple in wave 3. But really, this line needed more exclusives and more accessories. That sarcophagus was so cool that even if the Mummy boxset had come to specialty, I believe that TRU would have sold out on their 2-pack anyway.

For The Future: If they want to bring it back, they should 1) make them ALL TRU exclusive. 2) Make it a rotating series instead of only 2 movies per wave. 3) Accessories - I'd be okay without them for one or two new waves of unmade figures, BUT include them with future "Best Of" waves 5) Best Of Wave - after completing the unmade big-name or unique designs like Mole People & Metaluna Alien, then go back after 1 or two years to TRU and do a "Best Of" refresh, and include one refreshed main character (Dracula with new face tampo) and an unmade character from their film AND accessories (New Dracula (better Lugosi likeness) with Dracula Bride and Vampire Bat accessory) (Frankenstein Monster only with large lab table) (Mummy with new face print to look like one of the sequel mummies with Ardeth Bey and Book of the Dead) (Wolf Man with Bela the Gypsy and maybe a cool candlestick holder?)

There are a lot of Monster enthusiasts that this line can and should succeed. I think TRU would be more supportive if they knew they were the only source to buy these new minimates. And these monsters are timeless, hence the constant new refreshes for the other styles & scales we see every year, there's no reason why Minimates can't follow the same cycle.

Zach, please share this post with Chuck. I don't expect any response (although I would certainly welcome it), but I think he needs to see an impartial view from the trenches about this line!

I'll second MC's comments. I still have Wolfman and Creature sets clogging my TRU shelves. Frankenstein can still be found. Mummy is gone. Bride is gone. i didn't buy the box sets. I waited for the girls to show up on ebay by themselves, because I have no use for doubles.

I begrudgingly bought both 4-packs and 2-packs the first couple times but when Mummy and Hunchback came around, I decided to only buy the TRU exclusives and wait for the 4-packs. (Of course I was one of the collectors scrambling when it was announced the Mummy 4-pack wasn't coming out after all.)

I'm with monkyecrumb. Those are all good suggestions if DST decides to (hopefully) revisit the line. Stands that look like headstones – perhaps with interlocking bases – could be cool.

I can understand trying to milk the license by producing movie-specific box sets, but It was the Monsters that sold the line, not the supporting characters. A greater emphasis on the Monsters, either in monster-only box sets or with monkeycrumb's suggestion of accessories, I bet would have sold just as well or better. And not worrying about the Renfields or Dr. Reeds would free you to make monster variants (Son of Frankenstein, Glow-In-The-Dark Frankenstein, etc.) as TRU exclusives.

A legitimate gripe, Shane.

Along with the very good points that've been made, I really think the yearly release schedule also didn't do any favors. Casual buyers weren't likely to wait 365 days between each release. Not from what I've seen and heard. And not everybody is a goofball about monsters like I am and would be waiting that year with anticipation.

A legitimate gripe, Shane.

Along with the very good points that've been made, I really think the yearly release schedule also didn't do any favors. Casual buyers weren't likely to wait 365 days between each release. Not from what I've seen and heard. And not everybody is a goofball about monsters like I am and would be waiting that year with anticipation.

I'm grateful we got the sarcophagus! It felt like they were slowly starting in the right direction. And Shane, a Dracula with Coffin TRU exclusive 2-pack would sell extremely well! I know I'd buy plenty of extras just for the coffins.

Mystery, I agree that it sucks having to wait a year in between releases. I really don't follow the other UM product that TRU carries, but it seems like it might get quarterly or bi-annual releases between the figures and retro-cloth "Megos".

Simply put, this line *might* have been a bit much for 4-packs. I knock a few of their figure choices, but really they have all been incredibly well done. I'm thrilled to own every one I have. And Renfield is just too cool!

I was really surprised at how "generic" Dracula looks. I know the Lugosi estate is particular about licensing his image, but I thought minimates were able to get around those restrictions due to the lack of noses.

This line needs to be restricted to 2-packs from now on, unless they need to do a "heavy hitters" pack for specialty. This line is not The Walking Dead, and there really shouldn't be much sharing between TRU and specialty. DST seems to be learning this lesson with Marvel and the upcoming Star Trek line. Everything that sells out at TRU is their exclusives over the shared packs (barring few examples like XMen FC)

I thought the Halloween release was a good thing. BUT the product had to be released first to middle of September, anything out after Oct 31st had a harsh uphill battle. And they definitely could have done without the 4-packs, stick with the monsters; they're what drove the line. More monster sets would have been awesome: monster + large item (about size of sarcophagus).

* Dracula + coffin

* Frankenstein's monster + lab table or pine box coffin

* Quasimodo + bell

* Wolfman + tree or bush

* Black Lagoon Creature + seaweed or cave rocks

* Phantom of Opera + organ

* Invisible Man + lab set

At this point, I'd do damn near anything for an Invisible Man and Phantom of the Opera.

Off-topic: As for the Rama Tut idea, that's been in the back of my head for awhile now, Jeff. It's the headpiece that confounds me on how to accomplish. Other than all-out sculpting, which I have no experience at. I've been looking around for random Egyptian toys for awhile now hoping to find something I could kit-bash and make work.